PDA

View Full Version : Barry Larkin helmet from Hunt Auctions, what year?

justinwc80
04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I purchased this game used helmet from Hunt Auctions, however for the life of me I can find a million pictures with black helmets but none with the Flag sticker, anyone have any advice, when did the Reds use these decals? Other than Getty is there anywhere else to search? Thanks for any help.

file:///C:/Users/Chandler/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=37&lot_num=572&lot_qual=

justinwc80
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=37&lot_num=572&lot_qual=
Sorry here is the link

skipcarayislegend
04-15-2009, 11:27 AM
The flags were used in 2001 after 9/11. Looks like Larkin didn't play after June 28 that year, however. The flag could very well have been added by the team, but you won't find a photo of him wearing this helmet w/flag. What's the date on the inside? Can you see the outline of another number beneath the 11 on the back?

justinwc80
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
No there doesn't appear to be any evidence of another number on the back. The stickers inside are diamond collection authentic, american baseball cap 7 1/4, and warning sticker.

skipcarayislegend
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
There's likely a "number wheel" on the inside of the helmet. The numeral that the arrow points to is the month. The two numbers in the middle indicate the year. What do yours say?

justinwc80
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
The arrow points to 2 and 98 inside. Is this the year it was first used, any idea how long a team uses the same helmet, it has alot of use and pine tar on bill. I assume hunt auctions is pretty reliable with these. I just want to find out as much as possible and pics if possible.

skipcarayislegend
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
It was manufactured in Feb. 1998. Use could've easily occurred between then and '01. Unlike they do with jerseys, teams often issue "old" new helmets. I've owned many like that, including a Reds helmet that was made about 7-8 years prior to being used. I've seen the Braves sell unused 80s helmets as recently as a couple years ago. It's no big deal. I'd be surprised if you weren't able to photo match your helmet. Don't be too disappointed if you find that it was used prior to '01. Just be glad it's real. Hunt's a solid house but helmets are tough to authenticate. Good luck.

AWA85
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I was actually watching that helmet, couldn't believe the price it went for but congrats on the pick up. The helmet would have been worn in 2001 (providing it is 100% legit). They added the flag to the helmets that were being used during the season once 9/11 occured. So basically, Larkin wore the helmet early in the year and the flag was added later, even though he did not play during this time.