PDA

View Full Version : how will Jackie Robinson Day jerseys be sold?

quiggle28
04-15-2009, 12:16 PM
since all players on Jackie Robinson Day will be wearing #42 this year, how will these jerseys be available, through MLB Auctions or team memorabilia shops? thanks.

suave1477
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
quiggle every year they sell them through MLB Auctions. I would assume they will do it again this year.

skyking26
04-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I received an email from the Tigers a few hours after the game offering 22 of the jerseys...................

RK

theflock13
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Skyking what were the prices like?

larry bourget
04-16-2009, 11:50 AM
My email from marc.himelstein@detroittigers.com said he had 22 Tigers game worn jerseys, ALL THE STARTING PLAYERS, from yesterday's Jackie Robinson Day at Comerica Park, if you are interested, contact him, there were no prices attached.

LB

xpress34
04-16-2009, 12:21 PM
If anyone hears anything on Rockies, Rangers or A's Jackie Robinson Day Jersey's, please let me know.

- Chris

allstarsplus
04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
If anyone hears anything on Rockies, Rangers or A's Jackie Robinson Day Jersey's, please let me know.

- Chris

That Ian Kinsler jersey will go for crazy money having hit for the Cycle and going 6 for 6!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090415&content_id=4289562&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

TNTtoys
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I received an email from the Tigers a few hours after the game offering 22 of the jerseys...................

RK

RK/All,

I just purchased Mark's last game used base from the game with the JR Day ceremonial logos. Even more astounding than his offering price was the fact that the bases were not switched at all during the game. What he was selling were bases that were used for the entire 9 innings. I'll post photos when it arrives.

Nick

ndevlin
04-16-2009, 12:40 PM
The Armando Galarraga is $700.

Man, modern items are priced at absolute silly prices.

wrestlecon
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
The Rangers wore 2 sets last year. The sold one through there game used store and on through their foundation. I was watching to see if the was a jersey change last night, but did not see one. Last year I bought Kinsler for $400, just FYI.

eisenreich8
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Anyone who can tip me off on where to get a Red Sox jersey from yesterday please email me at 04redsox@bellsouth.net

Thanks in advance.

grenda12
04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
My email from marc.himelstein@detroittigers.com said he had 22 Tigers game worn jerseys, ALL THE STARTING PLAYERS, from yesterday's Jackie Robinson Day at Comerica Park, if you are interested, contact him, there were no prices attached.

LB

He's only selling the Tigers ones that I know of. He said that the White Sox jerseys were going back to the Cell. If anyone finds out that there selling the Sox ones, let me know.

larry bourget
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
He's only selling the Tigers ones that I know of. He said that the White Sox jerseys were going back to the Cell. If anyone finds out that there selling the Sox ones, let me know.

I only meant TIGERS 22 jerseys, also Granderson wore special spikes that 13 other MLB players on different Teams were also going to wear on Jackie Robinson Day, not sure if they are available yet also. As far as the White Sox go, contact them.

LB

TOYOTATruck07
04-16-2009, 05:18 PM

- Chris

Chris, I am working on getting some information regarding Rockies jersey through a contact within the organization. I will try to keep you posted on any success I have.

TOYOTATruck07
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Orioles Robinson day game used signed jerseys are now on mlb auctions.

TAFKADixie
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Chris, I am working on getting some information regarding Rockies jersey through a contact within the organization. I will try to keep you posted on any success I have.

I'd be interested in a Jeff Baker Rockies if it works out.

xpress34
04-16-2009, 06:31 PM

ToyTruck -

THANK YOU!!!

I contacted my source with the Dug Out Stores (Owned by the Rockies) as they usually disperse GU Rox gear (except for Catcher's Gear, Cleats and Gloves) and she says that she talked to Aaron Heinrich and he did not order any of the GU Jackie Robinson Day items for any of the stores.

My personal thought is because the Rockies would have to PAY MLB for the Jerseys 1st (MLB supplies teams with jerseys for these Special Events) and unlike some teams who apparently bought their teams jerseys to sell in their own team stores, the Rockies will let theirs go to MLB Auctions rather than buy them to offer them here locally.

Just another way the Rockies show their fans love... :rolleyes:

Let me know what you find out - I'll take anybody's (even Strittmatter) - prefer a SZ 50 though or XXL if they just used standard sizes since they are all the same w/ same #.

- Chris

woody1351
04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
i bought adam wainwrights from last year for 199.99

xpress34
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I'd be interested in a Jeff Baker Rockies if it works out.

Sending you an eMail...

- Chris

larry bourget
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I only meant TIGERS 22 jerseys, also Granderson wore special spikes that 13 other MLB players on different Teams were also going to wear on Jackie Robinson Day, not sure if they are available yet also. As far as the White Sox go, contact them.

LB

Tigers jerseys are priced $300 - $2000 ( CABRERA), but the majority are $300.

LB

larry bourget
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM

LB

i watched the game, and mostly all players that entered the game got them dirtied up pretty good. They also are all MLB Authenticated and unwashed.

LB

ballofbases@hotmail.com
04-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I picked up the Michael Young jersey yesterday out at the ballpark. I was told Kinsler kept his jersey and Hamilton's was sold in the first 10 min. If anybody is interested in any of the other players let me know. I will probably be over there again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com
www.studyofsports.com

xpress34
04-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I picked up the Michael Young jersey yesterday out at the ballpark. I was told Kinsler kept his jersey and Hamilton's was sold in the first 10 min. If anybody is interested in any of the other players let me know. I will probably be over there again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com
www.studyofsports.com (http://www.studyofsports.com)

What kind of prices???

I'd be interested in pretty much any lower$$$ that might be a SZ 50.

- Chris

GarkoCollector
04-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Is Cleveland selling theirs?

dcgreg25
04-18-2009, 04:03 PM
They will probably end up on mlb.com. That's where I got my Grady Sizemore jersey from Jackie Robinson day last year. Unfortunately I think it was May or June when they put them up. I will check on when the auction was last year and email you if you are interested in the information. Otherwise, keep an eye on mlb.com.

hiramman
04-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone gets so excited about these jerseys? Worn one time, not the player's actual number and they've been doing this every year the last few years. I just don't get it.

BergerKing22784
04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I think the ability to photomatch and know exactly what game it was worn in is the appeal. I collect Kevin Millwood and he pitched in that game last year so I was pretty excited to have pictures of the player wearing this jersey and knowing when exactly it was worn. We are not all Kyle Hess and can photo watch every item used in a game, this way we know.

Oh not to mention it is honoring a historical moment in history.
=)

larry bourget
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone gets so excited about these jerseys? Worn one time, not the player's actual number and they've been doing this every year the last few years. I just don't get it.

I am with you., also i have some nice worn jersey's if there are any Big Spenders out there, only $99. & $69. delivered. Why is Baseball collecting so behind the times compared to all the OVERPRICED HOCKEY CRAP out there.

LB

ballofbases@hotmail.com
04-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Chris,

I saw prices of $399 and up. There may be a few lower than that depending on the name. I'm not going to be by the ballpark today, but I will probably be over there tomorrow if you're interested in picking something up.

Thanks!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com
www.studyofsports.com

Mr.3000
04-20-2009, 12:22 AM
What about the Mets? Any info on their Robinson Day jerseys? Especially Jose Reyes.

yanks12025
04-20-2009, 05:31 AM
You know that Jackie Robinson really wasn't the first black player to play at the major league level, Moses Fleetwood Walker was in 1889.

metsbats
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Yanks,

That's excellent info.

Here's a link to info on Walker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Walker

TOYOTATruck07
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Chris,
Just got off the phone with my connection at the Rockies, At this point they have not figured out what they plan on doing with the jerseys, but the rockies do have them not MLB. They said they will either go to auction by the rockies on their site or at games, or will be given to dugout store locations for sale with proceeds going to charity. He did tell me he will let me know what they decide to do within the coming weeks.

GarkoCollector
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
You know that Jackie Robinson really wasn't the first black player to play at the major league level, Moses Fleetwood Walker was in 1889.

He has a small museum down the road from where I grew up.

mbenga28
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM

so why is Jackie Robinson given all this attention and credit for breaking the barrier?

Danny899
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM

You are so right! I think Ken Burn's Baseball DVD Set documents this. He played one season. I think it was 1884 he played his only season with the Toledo Blue Stockings.

metsbats
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
so why is Jackie Robinson given all this attention and credit for breaking the barrier?

Because African-American players were banned (offically "unofficially") up until Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier.

This was from the link in wiki-pedia on Walker.

"Shortly thereafter, the American Association and the National League both unofficially banned African-American players, making the adoption of Jim Crow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws) in baseball complete. Baseball would remain segregated until 1946 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_in_baseball) when Jackie Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson) popularly "broke the color barrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_color_line)" in professional baseball when he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Dodgers)' minor league affiliate in Montreal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal)."

metsbats
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
What about the Mets? Any info on their Robinson Day jerseys? Especially Jose Reyes.

Mets JR 42 jerseys will auctioned off on MLB.com when MLB decides when to start the auction.

TomTimmerman
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Actually, William Edward White probably predates Walker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Edward_White

GarkoCollector
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM

I believe Robinson was the first to break the color barrier in "Major League Baseball" just not the first Black pro baseball player.

xpress34
04-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Chris,
Just got off the phone with my connection at the Rockies, At this point they have not figured out what they plan on doing with the jerseys, but the rockies do have them not MLB. They said they will either go to auction by the rockies on their site or at games, or will be given to dugout store locations for sale with proceeds going to charity. He did tell me he will let me know what they decide to do within the coming weeks.

TT -

Thank you for the update!!!!

Would you mind dropping me an eMail ( xpress34@comcast.net ) when you hear? I check it much more often than the site here.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

- Chris

WOODFERN
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know if if the Yankees JR Day jerseys will be available and if so by whom? The whole team wore #42 jerseys. Any information would be a help. Thanks

WOODFERN
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry, only one if was needed.

STLCardinalscollector
04-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Anyone have any ideas, or knowledge of the Dodgers Jackie Robinson jersey's?
Thanks, David
dcardfan@aol.com

perlman9
04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I remember the Dodgers had them on MLB's auction site last year if I recall...

kingjammy24
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM

probably for some of the same reasons columbus is given credit for discovering america or edison for inventing the light bulb.

the immensely unpopular and risky decision to actually "break the barrier" was made by dodgers president branch rickey. it was made irrespective of robinson. it had to have been given that robinson had no authority to make such a decision; he was playing in the negro leagues when rickey got the idea and subsequently signed him to the dodgers' farm team with the intent to use him to eventually break the barrier. had robinson not even existed, it still would've been broken that year as rickey was intent on it and certainly had no shortage of highly talented black players to choose from at the time. rickey simply would've found another player to do it. on the other hand, had rickey not existed, it wouldn't have been broken that year and may not have been for many years to come.

none of this is meant to take away from robinson's impressive accomplishments or the struggles he overcame. it'd simply be nice for the MLB to give an ounce of credit to the man who actually came up with the idea and implemented it rather than seemingly given the entire credit to robinson. while robinson certainly took more lumps for it, the actual decision to cross that threshold was rickeys' so in my mind he deserves most of the credit.

rudy.

AthleticsFan
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
The Oakland A's auctioned off some of their Jackie Robinson Day jerseys at the stadium today. The proceeds went to charity.

xpress34
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
probably for some of the same reasons columbus is given credit for discovering america or edison for inventing the light bulb.

the immensely unpopular and risky decision to actually "break the barrier" was made by dodgers president branch rickey. it was made irrespective of robinson. it had to have been given that robinson had no authority to make such a decision; he was playing in the negro leagues when rickey got the idea and subsequently signed him to the dodgers' farm team with the intent to use him to eventually break the barrier. had robinson not even existed, it still would've been broken that year as rickey was intent on it and certainly had no shortage of highly talented black players to choose from at the time. rickey simply would've found another player to do it. on the other hand, had rickey not existed, it wouldn't have been broken that year and may not have been for many years to come.

none of this is meant to take away from robinson's impressive accomplishments or the struggles he overcame. it'd simply be nice for the MLB to give an ounce of credit to the man who actually came up with the idea and implemented it rather than seemingly given the entire credit to robinson. while robinson certainly took more lumps for it, the actual decision to cross that threshold was rickeys' so in my mind he deserves most of the credit.

rudy.

Rudy -

You as well as a lot of the other Forum Members who don't live here in Denver may not be aware of this, but the Rotary Club of Denver took it upon themselves to create the Branch Rickey Award given for Outstanding Humanitarianism in the MLB each year since 1992.

The Award was created after Denver was awarded the Rockies Franchise:

Created by the Rotary Club of Denver (http://www.denverrotary.org/), the Branch Rickey Award is the home of the Baseball Humanitarians Hall of Fame recognizing professionals in Major League baseball for exceptional community service.

The Awards Dinner is open to the Public each year - tickets for last year (Trevor Hoffman) started at $200.00.

Here is the website for anyone interested in finding out more:

http://www.branchrickeyaward.org/

All the best -

Chris

bigjimsguitars
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Last year the Los Angeles Dodgers sold theirs via Silent Auctions through out the year. I was able to get Joe Torre's for well under the radar.

This year they will be auctioned on MLB starting on May 1st.

I bet they will go for much more than last year where they were going for around $225.00 to $500.00..

The good news is that the proceeds do go to charity, The Dream Foundation that does a lot in the community.

nyjetsfan14
04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
While I don't collect baseball I am a devout Angels fan and rarely if ever miss a game. Most are aware of the tragedies that have struck the Halos recently. I was suprised to see that when the Angels wore the Jackie Robinson tribute jerseys they were absent of both the Preston Gomez and Nick Adenhart memorial patches. I wonder if that was an MLB wide policy or if each individual team made the call on any patches to be or not to be worn on Robinson jerseys? In the Angels case, I don't think wearing the Gomez or Adenhart memorial patches would have taken anything away from honoring the great Jackie Robinson but I understand the leagues desire to have it only about 42. Anyone have any additional info on this? Happy collecting!

larry bourget
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM

LB

I was in Detroit last Friday and of the 22 Tigers, i think i only counted 6 left.

LB

TigerSteve
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Here's mine of the 22. (Polanco)

theflock13
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
The D-backs have a signed Chris Young #42 jersey from last year on their charity auction.

HH
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I think the Chris Young is bench-worn, since I believe he didn't play.

pietraynor
04-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Dodgers have listed several on MLB.com including Manny Ramirez. Jay.

ndevlin
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM

rudy.

Lets not forget about Larry Doby too. He came in just after Robinson did and he gets absolutely no love at all. Its too bad.

cordovacollector
04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Nice reminder, Nate! Larry Doby was here in MN for the 1st Jackie Robinson Day. It was an honor just to shake his hand. I felt it was too obtrusive to ask for an autograph since he was willing just to talk ... then someone else came along with a ball for him to sign. I was soooo glad cuz then I got one out too.

I had been sitting down at my seat when a Twins "higher up" came down to my seat and said, "I did NOT tell you that Larry Doby in up in Box XXX. I could get fired if I told you Larry Doby is in Box XXX." What a thrill!!! I have photo of him throwing out the first pitch that day and Mrs. Jackie Robinson was there for the retiring of the number 42.

Larry Doby went through every bit as much as Jackie Robinson ... just in the AL and a few weeks later. We all owed him a debt too. RIP, Larry, and thank you!

bigjimsguitars
04-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Here's the link for the Dodgers:

http://dodgers.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/feature.d2w/report?wl=51310409&smidx=2&sig0=sort&sig1=search&sort=term&search=LAD

sox83cubs84
04-30-2009, 01:04 PM
ndevlin and cordovacollector, you are right on. It was great to see the Indians take a game to wear #14 Doby jerseys as a squad a year or 2 ago.

Dave M.
Chicago area

theflock13
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
The D-backs started putting some of theirs up. Upton is up there.

kylehess10
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I just got an e-mail from the Braves with all Jackie Robinson jerseys for sale. Most expensive is Chipper, Glavine, & Kawakami at $2000 each. The cheapest is McDowell at $100 (pitching coach), with average prices being around $300-$500 for common players.

quiggle28
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
does today's Manny news affect the final price for his jersey?

skipcarayislegend
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I just got an e-mail from the Braves with all Jackie Robinson jerseys for sale. Most expensive is Chipper, Glavine, & Kawakami at $2000 each. The cheapest is McDowell at $100 (pitching coach), with average prices being around $300-$500 for common players.

Hilarious. Chipper, Glavine, Kawakami (all $2k) and Hudson ($800) didn't play, Braves lose 10-4, and none of the jerseys have special tagging according to the jersey list. Excellent buys.

chuck70
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers Jackie Robinson Day jerseys are up for auction on MLB.com http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=37592&cgmenbr=33072944&MoreSubs=N

Chuck

suicide_squeeze
05-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's the link for the Dodgers:

http://dodgers.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/feature.d2w/report?wl=51310409&smidx=2&sig0=sort&sig1=search&sort=term&search=LAD

Does anyone know how to pull up the closing auction prices that the Dodgers jerseys went for......I'd like to see them! Thanks...

Steve

BergerKing22784
05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey Kyle is there some sorta email address the Braves use to sell game used stuff? If so can you hook me up with that. I would love to get emails from them

Thanks,
Brian

dcgreg25
06-05-2009, 09:14 AM
The Mets Jerseys went up a few days ago.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=38439&cgmenbr=33072944&MoreSubs=N

CampWest
06-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I saw the Zack Greinke game used 2009 JRDay jersey signed by the entire Royals roster at a fund raiser silent auction for the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Kansas City - RBI Program event. Zack is a huge supporter of theirs and donated several items in addition to his normal sponsorship of numerous teams.

dcgreg25
06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
The Indians have a few Jackie Robinson Day jerseys at the Team Shop in the stadium. As of yesterday, they had the following still available:

R. BETANCOURT
J. CARROLL
A. LAFFEY (he started the game and got the W)
C. PAVANO
A. REYES
K. SHOPPACH
J. SKINNER
VALBUENA
E. WEDGE

Prices ranged from $175 to $250 depending on the player. I picked up the M. DeRosa. I deal with Kris at the team shop there if you give him a call he will take good care of you.

TomTimmerman
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
My son and I made our annual trip to Cincy this weekend for the Civil Rights Game and Father's Day Game. Saturday I noticed that the Reds Community Fund booth was having a silent auction for 6 of their JR Day jerseys. Can't remember all of them, but Dickerson and Arroyo were there. Passed back around the fourth inning and there didn't seem to be many bids. The min bid was $300 and there was a buyout price of $1250 for each one . I thought my $425 bid on the Dickerson would hold up, but it didn't. He had his first HR of the season during the game. On Sunday, they had 6 different jerseys including Janish, Votto, Rhodes, Hanigan and a couple of others. By the third inning Votto was gone, so I'm guessing someone bought it outright. I ended up with Hanigan for the minimum bid. I overheard someone say that a few of the jerseys got no bids.

Tom

AWA85
06-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Tom, I was the first bid on the Dickerson and than you must have been after me. Did not think it would go past your price. The Bruce was bought for $1,500 when gates opened on Saturday. Friday did not have a great group, saturday had Cueto, Cordero, Arroyo again, Masset, Dickerson, and a few others.

I think all the jerseys hit the auction over the three days, not sure if any went unsold after Sunday.

TomTimmerman
06-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry we didn't get to meet. Do you know if the Phillips was ever available?

AWA85
06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Did not see if friday or saturday, could not tell you about Sunday on the Phillips.