04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Finally

suave1477
04-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Did You Hear That Guys???

I Just Heard All My Sheffield Game Used Items Go Chhh Chhhhhing Lol Lol:d

encinorick
04-17-2009, 09:23 PM
He as juiced, just like the others. I'd throw the ball back. No way he gets into the HOF.

Swoboda4
04-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Aside from throwing the ball back on the field, like the idiots at Yankee Stadium3 yesterday,would you keep it or ask for something? Since there is a steriod issue and I don't know how much you can realize at auction,I would ask for the jersey he wore and the bat he used. Have them signed and have him write it's the jersey he wore when he hit it,along with the bat and have MLB stickers on both. Again since there is an issue with him, having the two items is better than the ball in this case.
What would you do?

bigtruck260
04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Aside from throwing the ball back on the field, like the idiots at Yankee Stadium3 yesterday,would you keep it or ask for something? Since there is a steriod issue and I don't know how much you can realize at auction,I would ask for the jersey he wore and the bat he used. Have them signed and have him write it's the jersey he wore when he hit it,along with the bat and have MLB stickers on both. Again since there is an issue with him, having the two items is better than the ball in this case.
What would you do?

Throwing a baseball - especially a homer back regardless of who hit it...or what team it was is silly. This is one of the many reasons I can't stand (most) Cubs fans. How many times will a kid catch a baseball at a big league game in his life?

Yet...there will always be a drunk or group of drunks pressuring him to toss it onto the field...which is a violation of stadium rules.

Anyway, regarding Sheff's 500th, a great feat and a goal of his. He started as a middle infielder when I was in 8th grade...and to see him finish his career and reach that milestone is pretty cool.

If Gary did steroids....I can forgive him. Like McGwire and many of the steroid guys, he likely did it because of injury and recovery...and to keep up with everyone else that was using. Gary worked hard as a ballplayer and I would have been proud to have him as a Cardinal. Though, he might not have fit in here - from all accounts, he is one mean SOB.

cordovacollector
04-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't care if it was the lowliest player in MLB ... if I caught a HR ball, no way am I tossing my own personal baseball memory back on the field because other people who did NOT catch it are taunting me. I caught a foul that nearly hit the ceiling (no bounces, I might add ...) and like Charlton Heston you'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hands.

I know more than one Twins fan in LF keep a BP ball at hand to toss in case they are taunted. It must be a guy thing. But I wouldn't try authenticating that ball if it ends up being important later.

Swoboda4
04-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Apparently a 22 yr old kid (man?)caught the ball and traded it for 5 Sheffield store model Mets jerseys signed for him and his friends.

suicide_squeeze
04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
What would you do?

Swob,

Gary Sheffield wouldn't give up the bat, or the jersey, singularly or as a package deal, for that baseball.

My guess is....the bat AND the jersey will go to the Hall of Fame, best wishes, Gary.

If one of the two goes, the other will certainly stay in Sheff's posession.

And for whatever reason, if MLB doesn't place stickers on those items tonight....it will never happen as once they leave the park, it's a done deal. My guess is that they will, though.

It will be interesting to see what pieces Sheffield gives the Hall. If he's a selfish a-hole like Barry, he'll just sent his helmet and cleats.

If he's like A-Rod...........maybe just his jock strap?

Oh....no, wait..............A-Rod sells those too.....

flaco1801
04-17-2009, 11:59 PM
5 store jerseys sheesh what a sport... id burn it before i gave it to him for that... greedy ballplayers makin that kinda cash and for the milestone of his career he gives a fan nuttin shame on him and shame on the rest of the fans who root for him

gameused
04-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Looks like Gary Sheffield used a Louisville Slugger M-9 bat for the 500th! Congrat's to Sheff and also to Brian (BMH)

mattmueller
04-18-2009, 05:40 AM
5 store jerseys sheesh what a sport... id burn it before i gave it to him for that... greedy ballplayers makin that kinda cash and for the milestone of his career he gives a fan nuttin shame on him and shame on the rest of the fans who root for him

I am not a huge Sheffield fan (Brewer fan, still remember him admitting to throwing balls into the stands from third base because he wanted out of Milwaukee). However, perhaps the kid who caught it didn't think he caught a lottery ticket and just asked for something simple - or maybe even nothing - in return? I know a lot of people who would go crazy for five autographed jerseys.

mattmueller
04-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Actually, there you go. The kid apparently asked for nothing in return for the ball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090417&content_id=4321200&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

metsbats
04-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Looks like Gary Sheffield used a Louisville Slugger M-9 bat for the 500th! Congrat's to Sheff and also to Brian (BMH)

He's been using LV M-9's exclusively with the Mets so far (in his limited time playing).

metsbats
04-18-2009, 07:28 AM
He's been using LV M-9's exclusively with the Mets so far (in his limited time playing).

Here's a closeup during BP.

skyking26
04-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Saw the press conference this morning. Shef got his shot in about how it was fate that he only hit 19 HRS last year as a Tiger so he could hit number 500 on the biggest stage of all--------------basically saying that it would be a lesser feat if had being done in a Tiger uniform. I thought it was cheap. I also thought for the gesture that guy who caught the ball made, signing 5 jerseys from the pro shop for the kid was a slap in the face. If I were Shef, no way would I give the jersey or anything else to the guy, as they should be in the Hall. But, giving what he gave was very cheap, as was the shot against Detroit.

ESPN did several pieces on Shef this morning. He's played on many teams and disgruntled on each. Clubhouse cancer always upset about something. There is a reason he played so many places. No doubt a superstar with one of the most lethal swings I've ever seen. I never leave my seat when he comes up... But, his attitude has been sour his who career. While here in Detroit he said his teammates from South American countries acted like dogs and did not step up proud like he does as an African American. I'm sure that went over well with Magglio and the others. How can you go out and play with guys you just slandered? If he'd have kept his mouth shut his whole career he'd be further ahead.

suicide_squeeze
04-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Saw the press conference this morning. Shef got his shot in about how it was fate that he only hit 19 HRS last year as a Tiger so he could hit number 500 on the biggest stage of all--------------basically saying that it would be a lesser feat if had being done in a Tiger uniform. I thought it was cheap. I also thought for the gesture that guy who caught the ball made, signing 5 jerseys from the pro shop for the kid was a slap in the face. If I were Shef, no way would I give the jersey or anything else to the guy, as they should be in the Hall. But, giving what he gave was very cheap, as was the shot against Detroit.

ESPN did several pieces on Shef this morning. He's played on many teams and disgruntled on each. Clubhouse cancer always upset about something. There is a reason he played so many places. No doubt a superstar with one of the most lethal swings I've ever seen. I never leave my seat when he comes up... But, his attitude has been sour his who career. While here in Detroit he said his teammates from South American countries acted like dogs and did not step up proud like he does as an African American. I'm sure that went over well with Magglio and the others. How can you go out and play with guys you just slandered? If he'd have kept his mouth shut his whole career he'd be further ahead.

This guy has always been an angry guy who "hates the man".

He'll never change, his audio spots will always be head shakers. He just a miserable selfish human being (like another big slugger who is due for a court case soon) who used roids, wasn't liked by many anywhere he went, but somehow because of that vicious swing, kept finding homes.

I remember his years with the Dodgers. God, I hated him. Always arguing, always disgruntled when on T.V., obviously not liked in the club house by many. But then, we also had that miserable pitcher back then too....Mr. "I fly everywhere I want on my private jet" Kevin Brown. Geez.....did he ever take the Dodgers for a steroid-latent bath.....

I just wish I was the fan in the front row seat in N.Y. that faitful day when Sheffield was going for that ball, and that fan reached out and bumbed his head/hat. Remember how Sheff turned on him, with that 'fight' gesture?

It would have taken 9 guards to pry us apart. Can't stand the jerk, never will like him. He's lucky someone signed his fat lard-ass (now that he's not playing in the field on a regular basis) and gave him the opportunity to become part of that prestigious group in MLB.

Now maybe he can slowly just fade off into the sunset. Good riddance.

skyking26
04-18-2009, 01:01 PM
This guy has always been an angry guy who "hates the man".

He'll never change, his audio spots will always be head shakers. He just a miserable selfish human being (like another big slugger who is due for a court case soon) who used roids, wasn't liked by many anywhere he went, but somehow because of that vicious swing, kept finding homes.

I remember his years with the Dodgers. God, I hated him. Always arguing, always disgruntled when on T.V., obviously not liked in the club house by many. But then, we also had that miserable pitcher back then too....Mr. "I fly everywhere I want on my private jet" Kevin Brown. Geez.....did he ever take the Dodgers for a steroid-latent bath.....

I just wish I was the fan in the front row seat in N.Y. that faitful day when Sheffield was going for that ball, and that fan reached out and bumbed his head/hat. Remember how Sheff turned on him, with that 'fight' gesture?

It would have taken 9 guards to pry us apart. Can't stand the jerk, never will like him. He's lucky someone signed his fat lard-ass (now that he's not playing in the field on a regular basis) and gave him the opportunity to become part of that prestigious group in MLB.

Now maybe he can slowly just fade off into the sunset. Good riddance.
Well said. Can't make your description any better........

metsbats
04-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Skyking26, Suicide_Squeeze,

I take it you guys don't like Sheffield:p

I'm entirely convinced now that the Mets signed him so that the Phillies didn't get him. The Mets have always been concerned about clubhouse chemistry and negativity. They even got rid of Kris Benson because of his wife.

However given the way the last two years ended for the Mets we can use all the help we can get despite who it comes from.

yanks12025
04-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Suicide_Squeeze,
I think your talking about when the yankees were playing up in Boston he was going after a ball in the right field corner and a fan dumped his beer on him as he went by. And i don't think sheff did anything but yell at the fan, and if i remember i think the fan got banned from fenway for the rest of his life.

sox83cubs84
04-19-2009, 03:40 AM
FWIW, Shepp-Dog was the first 500 HR Club player to ever achieve the milestone as a pinch-hitter.

Dave P. and others, I am a Cubs fan who has NEVER thrown back an enemy home run, in the seats or on Waveland Avenue when I've caught one (I've nabbed 6 at Wrigley, 5 of which were from Cub opponents. I have never even faked a throwback with a BP ball. I think the "tradition" is idiotic, as well...but idiotic is the word that best describes 90% of the bleacher drunks. I've seen drunks out there tear balls away from kids' hands, throw beer and cups at a hot 20-something babe who wouldn't throw a Pirates homer back, chase a guy out of the bleachers for keeping a Rockies home run, and intimidate an old man into tossing back an Expos tater. Even the "macho" Ballhawks on the street, with few exceptions, throw back dummy balls to placate the crowd. I say screw the drunks...I wish the Cubs would as well, but they seem to promote the frat house that the bleachers are, and look the other way at any fan brouhahas that don't involve fisticuffs.

Dave M.
Chicago area

trsent
04-19-2009, 05:42 AM
FWIW, Shepp-Dog was the first 500 HR Club player to ever achieve the milestone as a pinch-hitter.

Dave P. and others, I am a Cubs fan who has NEVER thrown back an enemy home run, in the seats or on Waveland Avenue when I've caught one (I've nabbed 6 at Wrigley, 5 of which were from Cub opponents. I have never even faked a throwback with a BP ball. I think the "tradition" is idiotic, as well...but idiotic is the word that best describes 90% of the bleacher drunks. I've seen drunks out there tear balls away from kids' hands, throw beer and cups at a hot 20-something babe who wouldn't throw a Pirates homer back, chase a guy out of the bleachers for keeping a Rockies home run, and intimidate an old man into tossing back an Expos tater. Even the "macho" Ballhawks on the street, with few exceptions, throw back dummy balls to placate the crowd. I say screw the drunks...I wish the Cubs would as well, but they seem to promote the frat house that the bleachers are, and look the other way at any fan brouhahas that don't involve fisticuffs.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave - When are they going to tear that dump down and build something nice?