PDA

View Full Version : Huggins: 1977 Brooks Robinson jersey

kingjammy24
04-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Huggins & Scott: 1977 Brooks Robinson game-used jersey.

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=11816&catid=233&lotno=1027

1) the nameplate shows noticeable "pinching" around all of the edges. often, a pinched nameplate suggests it's been restored/re-sewn.

2) the front #5 appears to be the wrong font. the rear #5 may be the wrong font as well but i can't find any photos.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2376/five.jpg

3) the "77 1" strip tag; the numbers themselves don't appear to be chain-stitched as was wilson's style at the time nor is the strip affixed via the "zig-zag" stitching typically used by wilson during the 70s and early 80s.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6148/tag2.jpg

the stitching and style/font of the "77 1" is more reminiscent of wilson strip tags starting around 1988/1989.

AMI sold a 1977 brooks robinson orange jersey. note the differences in a) the era of the wilson tag 2) the #5 font front AND back 3) the strip tag stitching: http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=35523

joel: before you have an aneurysm, yes bill huggins himself was notified of all of this over a week ago. what was bill's response? apparently he's still mulling it over. no i did not contact brooks robinson to get his side.

rudy.

sox83cubs84
04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Rudy:

Also look at the Wilson tag...it's the 1979-86 variety.

I've emailed the service contact for H&S about this. Bill has always done the right thing in the past (at least in what I'm aware of), and I'm confident he will do so again.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
that strip tag looks a bit too high on the shirt.......

ironmanfan
04-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Good work (as usual) Rudy & Dave...Regarding the font, the thing that jumped out to me (other than the nameplate) is that the "dot" on the "i" on the Orioles script from that era (Wilson alternate orange tops) should be connected to the "i" (not separate).

kingjammy24
04-18-2009, 06:59 PM
..the "dot" on the "i" on the Orioles script from that era (Wilson alternate orange tops) should be connected to the "i" (not separate).

what year did the "dot" separate from the "i"? what year is the wordmark on the huggins jersey from?

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2040/fivetin.jpg

rudy.

ironmanfan
04-18-2009, 08:04 PM
what year did the "dot" separate from the "i"? what year is the wordmark on the huggins jersey from?

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2040/fivetin.jpg

rudy.

All orange alternates made by Wilson (1975-1983) have the "dot and i" connected.....When they went back to wearing them in 1988, they were made by Rawlings (and the dot and i were then separated).

I see a lot of bad Ripken "rookie era" Orange Alternates and the "dotted i" separation is always a tell tell sign that it's bogus.

kingjammy24
04-18-2009, 08:07 PM
All orange alternates made by Wilson (1975-1983) have the "dot and i" connected.....When they went back to wearing them in 1988, they were made by Rawlings (and the dot and i were then separated).

that's what i thought but then what does that make this jersey? it's a wilson jersey with a rawlings-style "orioles" wordmark? you're saying wilson never made an orioles orange alt. jersey with this style of wordmark on it?

is it just some generic orange and black shirt with a 1988+ team wordmark stripped from another shirt and affixed onto this one? is this thing completely hand-made from A to Z?

rudy.

bigtime59
04-19-2009, 10:25 AM
that's what i thought but then what does that make this jersey? it's a wilson jersey with a rawlings-style "orioles" wordmark? you're saying wilson never made an orioles orange alt. jersey with this style of wordmark on it?
is it just some generic orange and black shirt with a 1988+ team wordmark stripped from another shirt and affixed onto this one? is this thing completely hand-made from A to Z?
rudy.

"Hand made, from A to Z" for the win, please. The Orioles script, aside from the obvious differences in the dot of the i and the extension of the O, is also very wrong in the l-e-s. You can walk away from this one with no concerns at all.

kingjammy24
04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
"Hand made, from A to Z" for the win, please. The Orioles script, aside from the obvious differences in the dot of the i and the extension of the O, is also very wrong in the l-e-s. You can walk away from this one with no concerns at all.

ok so the team wordmark is wrong, the wilson tag is the wrong era, the front #5 is the wrong font, the back #5 is the wrong font, the nameplate shows signs of being resewn, the nob is too big, the "77 1" is sewn incorrectly and is also the wrong font, the strip itself is affixed incorrectly. as eric stangel would say "other than that, it's good". there literally isn't a single correct element on the entire shirt.

what i find offensive about this, besides the idea of some little weasel sitting at his sewing machine whipping this thing up for the sole purpose of ripping someone else off for thousands, is the fact that the huggins description states "All original and unaltered". everything that could be wrong on the shirt is wrong and huggins didn't catch a single thing. 7 errors on the shirt and huggins got 0/7 right. "all original". nice work. way to earn that buyer's premium. i don't know who's worse..the guy who made the shirt up or the guy who "authenticated" it. you'd think they could put an ounce of work into a $5k shirt. anyway, huggins quoted 2 getty images as being matches for their shirt. here's one of them. you'll notice the "dot" is connected to the "i". great match.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1995/fivec.jpg

rudy.

ksfarmboy
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Here's a couple of mine for comparison.
Clint

ironmanfan
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Rudy:

I agree that is a very SLOPPY "Lampson-esque" job by Huggins & Scott at first accepting the consignment and subsequently "authenticating it" themselves. While it's disturbing that your e-mail to Bill Huggins went unanswered, I can only hope that Dave's contact there can get this off before the auction starts...(and then I suppose we'll see it on eBay in a month or so).

kingjammy24
04-19-2009, 12:11 PM
While it's disturbing that your e-mail to Bill Huggins went unanswered, I can only hope that Dave's contact there can get this off before the auction starts...(and then I suppose we'll see it on eBay in a month or so).

hey, just wanted to clarify: no emails went unanswered. bill is aware of the shirt and its problems and has acknowledged receipt of being given this information. i simply said he's "mulling it over" to mean that the shirt hasn't been immediately removed so..i imagine that's probably what he's doing.

in terms of authentications, i think it's one of the worst i've ever seen. the issues are multiple and clear as day.

rudy.

trsent
04-19-2009, 03:48 PM
joel: before you have an aneurysm, yes bill huggins himself was notified of all of this over a week ago. what was bill's response? apparently he's still mulling it over. no i did not contact brooks robinson to get his side.

rudy.

Rudy - I didn't ask anything and I do not care so don't call me out in a thread's first post for Christ sake.

It is a good policy to mention any contact with a seller in your post but do not pick on me for no reason - It makes you look like an idiot and we know you are one of the smartest people on here.

Bill Huggins should have more respect for any email you send if they want to be seen as a reputable auction house because I believe your findings are interesting but do you really need to abuse me in the thread for no reason?

trsent
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
hey, just wanted to clarify: no emails went unanswered. bill is aware of the shirt and its problems and has acknowledged receipt of being given this information. i simply said he's "mulling it over" to mean that the shirt hasn't been immediately removed so..i imagine that's probably what he's doing.

in terms of authentications, i think it's one of the worst i've ever seen. the issues are multiple and clear as day.

rudy.

Rudy - I read this after my last post, not that it matters but at least Bill emailed you back and is looking into your concerns.

I assume he'll do the right thing but wants to look harder into your concerns before making a big decision.

kingjammy24
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM
jersey has been removed.

rudy.

hugginsandscottauctions
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
All: Thank you for this great source of policing us auction companies. It is invaluable for us to get all the opinions that we can before we sell an item. Clearly, the Brooks jersey has flaws and has been removed from our auction.

FYI: we have also removed the Rose and Bench home jersey's for similar question marks.

Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com

trsent
04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Rudy - I read this after my last post, not that it matters but at least Bill emailed you back and is looking into your concerns.

I assume he'll do the right thing but wants to look harder into your concerns before making a big decision.

All: Thank you for this great source of policing us auction companies. It is invaluable for us to get all the opinions that we can before we sell an item. Clearly, the Brooks jersey has flaws and has been removed from our auction.

FYI: we have also removed the Rose and Bench home jersey's for similar question marks.

Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com (http://www.hugginsandscott.com)

Bravo, Josh!

Welcome to the forum!

diamondicons1
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know what the issues were with the Bench and Rose Jerseys.

sox83cubs84
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know what the issues were with the Bench and Rose Jerseys.
Both jerseys had tampering with the Rawlings tags...the thread pattern on the right edge was noticeably different than on the other three sides, meaning the thread was opened to add a flag tag. Both flag tags were inconsistent in the font and boldness of the text with known Rawlings exemplars. The 1975 Rose had a flag tag that used the wrong color of ink and Ids (should be in blue ink with the notation #8P between the year and set identifiers).

Dave M.
Chicago area