Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Yankees 2009

Hmmm. 22-4 Indians. Great that the Yanks went out and got CC Sabathia (lost 2 starts I think now?) and Mark Tex. (.194 thru today, and that was after hitting a homer). Nice to know that money was well spent...

Outdoing all the other teams for players sure is paying off for NY.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com
  • Mauer7
    Banned
    • Oct 2008

Re: Yankees 2009

Dude, we are 10 games into a 162 game season. Is this a serious post?

Comment

• Yankwood
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Mauer7
      Relax, of course he's serious. Yankee haters have been taking premature potshots for over 30 years now. I'm used to it. In fact, it's become boring.

Comment

• mr.miracle
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mauer7
        This is true however the Yankees might be in some measure of trouble given the fact that Wang is getting absolutely rocked during every outing. I am guessing that the Yankees were counting on a very strong rotation of Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Chamberlain and Pettite. Obviously, Wang is not fully recovered as he cannot spot his pitches and looks like he is pitching batting practice. If he cannot get it together, everyone has to step up. The Yankees greatest weakness has been their pitching or lack thereof over the past five to seven years. You remove a healthy solid Wang from that rotation and they have to find a way to replace 18 - 20 wins or at least that would have been the expectation from him based on historical performances.
        Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• Ozric
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Yankwood
          Relax, of course he's serious. Yankee haters have been taking premature potshots for over 30 years now. I'm used to it. In fact, it's become boring.
          Nah.... Boring is how bad you guys have been for what... 10 years now and you still think you can win. Anything less than a world series win every single year for that amount a payroll is a disgrace.

Comment

• mr.miracle
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ozric
            Nah.... Boring is how bad you guys have been for what... 10 years now and you still think you can win. Anything less than a world series win every single year for that amount a payroll is a disgrace.
            I was attempting to be a bit more kind but actually that is true. In any other sport, if for instance my favorite team the Lakers could go out and double, triple, quadruple the payroll of virtually every team who thinks that they would not lock up the NBA title every year. You could put an all-star team on the floor at every position. Same thing in the NFL granted injuries could play a huge part there as well, but the Yankees have not done a good job managing that payroll. My five year old nephew could do a better job managing that payroll. Great signings/trades like Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi, even Damon have not exactly worked in their favor.
            Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• encinorick
              • Nov 2005

And what is the common denominator in all this?

Scott Boras.

He's death to any team. And if they are stupid enough to give into him, then they deserve what they get.

The Yankees will be fighting for last place with Boston in the East and the "new curse of the Babe" will become known, that the Yankees will never win another World Series in their new billion dollar stadium, "the House that Ruth didn't build!"

Dodger vs. Jays in World Series, Dodgers win in six.

Comment

• markize
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mr.miracle
                This is true however the Yankees might be in some measure of trouble given the fact that Wang is getting absolutely rocked during every outing. I am guessing that the Yankees were counting on a very strong rotation of Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Chamberlain and Pettite. Obviously, Wang is not fully recovered as he cannot spot his pitches and looks like he is pitching batting practice. If he cannot get it together, everyone has to step up. The Yankees greatest weakness has been their pitching or lack thereof over the past five to seven years. You remove a healthy solid Wang from that rotation and they have to find a way to replace 18 - 20 wins or at least that would have been the expectation from him based on historical performances.
                I think Wang will get it together, but I think Joba is a bigger concern. I'm still not convinced he is a starter. His fastball has no movement, and his speed is not what it used to be. He's probably better off as a setup guy who will move into the closer roll. This way he an come in fresh, and try to overpower batters. You are right, though, the rotation is struggling.

I still love 'em though- GO YANKEES!!

Mark

Comment

• mr.miracle
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by markize
                  I think Wang will get it together, but I think Joba is a bigger concern. I'm still not convinced he is a starter. His fastball has no movement, and his speed is not what it used to be. He's probably better off as a setup guy who will move into the closer roll. This way he an come in fresh, and try to overpower batters. You are right, though, the rotation is struggling.

I still love 'em though- GO YANKEES!!

Mark
                  Mark, great points, I am not a Yankees fan but I will say that I would give up on Chamberlain as a starter and do exactly what you are saying. Kind of like Rivera for Wetteland years ago. Since Mariano probably only has two or so good years left, this would be a perfect opportunity to get Joba the time he needs in a role that he was lights out in and then move him over as the closer once Rivera is done. Sure you lose him as a starter but they need to take advantage of the strength that they have there. In a one or so inning situation, that guy is lights out.

The other question is, do either Hughes or Kennedy ever pan out to anything and if not, are the Yankees kicking themselves for not pulling the trigger on that Santana trade with the Twins several years back.
                  Brett Herman

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                    • Oct 2005

Wang was fine until the HR to Choo. He just got shook up. No worries. 10 games in does not a panic attack make.

Comment

• mr.miracle
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
                      Wang was fine until the HR to Choo. He just got shook up. No worries. 10 games in does not a panic attack make.
                      Uhhh Vintage, don't take this the wrong way, but the guy has pitched six innings in three starts this year, has given up 23 runs on 23 hits and currently has a 34.50 era. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be sounding the alarm for any pitcher at this point. This is bording on disaster for a pitcher that was the ace of the staff as recently as two years ago and starting last season.
                      Brett Herman

Comment

• stkmtimo
                        • Nov 2005

We need Phil Hughes as 5th starter. Put Joba back into the bullpen. They'll be fine...there's plenty of baseball left to be played.

Tim

Comment

• bigtime59
                          • Nov 2005

I know it's early yet, small sample size, blah blah blah...but the Yankee$ losing is always something that's going to make my day.
                          Brian Ca$hman might be the worst GM in baseball. He has more money to play with than any other GM, and this is the best he can do? Nearly half a billion dollars committed to free agents last off season, and this is the best he can do?
                          And before the usual suspects can start their "oooh, but the Orioles suck worse than we do" chorus...take a look at the Orioles payroll vs the Yankee$. Then take a look at what's in the pitching pipeline for the Orioles vs the Yankee$. Then compare the two teams outfields. Then see if you can tell me with a straight face that you'd rather be the Yankee$ than the Orioles...in any respect other than revenues.
                          Yeah, our starters mostly suck, just like yours do. But we have about $75 invested in each of 'em, so that when the time comes to kick 'em to the curb, it's not going to hurt much.
                          Tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...and the giant freakin' lounge chairs in the uber-expensive seats are already empty.
                          Sweet. Glorious, beautiful and sweet.
                          Mark
                          msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bigtime59
                            I know it's early yet, small sample size, blah blah blah...but the Yankee$ losing is always something that's going to make my day.
                            Brian Ca$hman might be the worst GM in baseball. He has more money to play with than any other GM, and this is the best he can do? Nearly half a billion dollars committed to free agents last off season, and this is the best he can do?
                            And before the usual suspects can start their "oooh, but the Orioles suck worse than we do" chorus...take a look at the Orioles payroll vs the Yankee$. Then take a look at what's in the pitching pipeline for the Orioles vs the Yankee$. Then compare the two teams outfields. Then see if you can tell me with a straight face that you'd rather be the Yankee$ than the Orioles...in any respect other than revenues.
                            Yeah, our starters mostly suck, just like yours do. But we have about $75 invested in each of 'em, so that when the time comes to kick 'em to the curb, it's not going to hurt much.
                            Tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...and the giant freakin' lounge chairs in the uber-expensive seats are already empty.
                            Sweet. Glorious, beautiful and sweet.
                            Man, you're singing is music to my ears. I agree 100%. They go out and blow tons of $$ on Sabathia and Tex, who are choking some now. Early or not, when you get paid what these guys do...you are expected to produce. The Yankees are shoved down everyone's throat as the be all in professional sports. It's a quick lesson to my little leaguer's...$$ doesn't buy everything.

I'm painfully reminded of that when I watched my mother die for 2 years. That was a lesson for my dad unfortunately...
                            ROBERT KOPPEL
                            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                            and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• yanks12025
                              • Jan 2006

How are they choking. Tex will be alot better when he has a-rod batting behind him, so he gets better pitches.

Comment

Working...