PDA

View Full Version : Tired of it

yanks12025
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Sorry about this rant about a member but it should be said. Acouple weeks ago i sold some items to a fellow member. He made a offer alittle more than half of what i was looking for, so i told him i would pass. He asked what the lowest i would take, so i emailed him back with the price and he said he would buy them. Well it did not take long after he recieved them that he listed them on ebay. The thing that got me mad the most was that he asked for a lower price so he could get a higher profit. If i knew he was going to do this i would have never sold him the items. I understand that this member is a great asset to this forum and hobby but stuff like this really bothers me and i believe it does to other members because i noticed he has done it before to other members. Would you people be upset about this?

Mauer7
04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
In my opinion, you agreed to a price that you were happy with, so you sold them. You must have been OK with the price or you wouldnt have sold them. Once they become his, he is free to do as he pleases with them.

ndevlin
04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
In my opinion, you agreed to a price that you were happy with, so you sold them. You must have been OK with the price or you wouldnt have sold them. Once they become his, he is free to do as he pleases with them.

Very true and I know thats how things work, but I would be pissed too.

yanks12025
04-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Your right Mauer with once they become his, he can do what ever he wants. I just hate when you offer lower money so you get more profit. Next time ill make sure their going to someone who will enjoy the items and not sell them with-in a week.

mvandor
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
To some this is a hobby. To others, it's a business.

TAFKADixie
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Would I be mad? Absolutely not. If I make money and am happy with the price I accept, I could care less what they do with it. If he makes money, then we're both happy. You can't be mad at him for doing something that you didn't and being successful at it.

commando
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I do see Yanks' point. I get the feeling he let the item go for a little less than he wanted, because he felt the buyer REALLY wanted the item.... Turns out the buyer REALLY DID want the item, but he REALLY wanted to SELL it for a quick profit.

Let's say a guy on the street corner is holding a sign that says, "Hungry, Please Help." You give him five dollars. He immediately walks into the liquor store and picks up a bottle of T-Bird with the money you just gave him. Does it matter what he spent your five dollar donation on?

Sheffield11
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Would this happen to be about a posada bat?

bucephalus
04-19-2009, 08:55 PM
It would sting for a moment. But if I got what I wanted it's all good, and now it's their problem.

bigtruck260
04-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Agree with Commando on this one.

I would be interested to see the emails, and to understand the reasoning behind letting the item go a little cheaper than you wanted Yanks. If he made it seem like he was a collector that was cash-strapped and was decieving in any way...I could see how you'd be a little upset.

Yes, it's his as soon as he pays. Yes, he's free to list it on eBay...and Yes, to some this hobby of ours is a business to some people. No matter how you look at it, the transaction went the way many eBay transactions go. I have sold hundreds of items only to see them go for less than I originally paid - and end up back on eBay within a few weeks.

I've also flipped a few items here and there (and some were from very good friends of mine on this very forum)...but we all have the basic understanding that what I don't want, you can have for a price - and do whatever you want with it...even if it means taking a Pujols gamer to the cages for the afternoon.

corsairs22
04-19-2009, 10:42 PM
If the buyer represents himself as a collector who wants to keep the item, then I'd resent him selling it on ebay within a few days. Leaving cases like that aside, I have come to assume that a large percentage of those who are buying bats are doing so with an eye to flipping them. In fact, it seems that 75% of the bats that I lose out on in auctions turn up on some other auction site or online store within the year.

emann
04-19-2009, 10:43 PM
I agree with Yanks position here actually and don't think he's out of line in feeling dissapointed or anything... It's one thing to offer a lower price on an item you really want or that might be priced a bit higher than average- it's another to offer a bottom dollar price and flip it 2 weeks later. It's certainly not outside of the buyer's rights, he does own the item now- it's just sort of uncool. It is straight-up, collector vs. dealer at that point...

That said, I need to give the seller props that he got the bat certified in that time period (and certainly got a better description from Taube than the original listing on GUU).

suave1477
04-19-2009, 10:46 PM
THE ANSWER IS?????????

Its a double edged sword!!

Both Yanks and Mauer are correct.

Just reiterating what everyone already said. I agree with both sides.

Yes Yanks agreed to a number but he may have agreed to that number under false pretenses that the buyer really wanted the items for himself. So he went above and beyond of his normal asking price to benefit a member here for there own collection.

But once the items are in the buyers hands he is free to do with them as he pleases

Yanks I agree with you, you should be pissed, but be so just for a moment dont let it get you down and learn for next time you don't approve of that buyers practices and decide whether you want too sell to that buyer or not again in the future!!!

skyking26
04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
I'd be pissed. It's not worth bringing to his attention unless he brings it to yours. Answer is very simple: Do not do business with him again. You learned the hard way. If you had sold it at YOUR price, then I would not be upset at all. He angled to get you to sell at a low price to increase his profit...

RK

trsent
04-20-2009, 01:05 AM
I am confused.

Are people upset that someone bought their item and now they are they are trying to resell it for a profit? I figure if someone sells an item and they accept a price - They must be happy with the money they received and who cares what happens next?

Now, if someone badgers your price and lies to you to get the price down you have an issue, but once I sell an item I couldn't care less what they do with the item be it sell it elsewhere or cut it up and put it on trading cards.

Anyone attempting to sell an item for whatever reason is attempting to sell it here at no commission and they are invited to attempt to sell it on eBay themselves if they wish but it is fair market so you should be happy to receive your money and the item is no longer yours.

Seller's remorse is always around but life has to go on. Even if you are only a collector - If you are looking to sell an item outright on here you are in a marketplace so anything can happen as long as you are paid and you were not lied to to get the price down, move on.

yanks12025
04-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Joel,
Your right life will go on and it's also not sellers remorse. What other people said is right, that i lowered the price because i thought they wanted the item and it turned out they did not want it.

yanks12025
04-20-2009, 05:21 AM
emann,
No, i just forgot to put that in the listing. And i disagreed with the amount of use it said because it showed two seam marks and acouple cleat marks.

3arod13
04-20-2009, 05:22 AM
In this scenario, it wouldn't bother me. But say if it was someone in this forum that contacted me and wanted the item to keep in their collection, then I find they turn around and list it on ebay within a couple of weeks, then yes, I may feel somewhat taken.

We all do each other favors when we know someone. I'm willing to let it go cheaper to help a fellow collector out that I know. But then again, think about it. How many people are going to contact someone and say, "I want to get it cheap from you so I can turn around a list it on ebay to make a profit."

Regards, Tony

Yankwood
04-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Would this happen to be about a posada bat?Sounds like you're familiar with the scenario...

skyking26
04-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Want to get opinions here. Somewhat similar vein anyway.

Got a buddy lives 5 1/2 hours away. I'm on comp with an injury, he's on unemployment. We have been buddies since late 80's. Long time...

He could not afford a ML jersey I had when offered in January. I buy it 3 months later. He has the pants for it. He wants it badly. Wife and I would both like him to have it. He says if we can make a deal he'd come over here and hang a couple of days. Realize I do NOT have to sell this jersey. I was offered a $500 walk away profit from another collector because of a problem we've had... So I agree to same price I paid, and I take 3 items he has to lessen the blow that I want. No profit at all, I walked on $500 remember...

After we talk about it, he says his wife does not want him coming over as she isn't a big fan of mine (I've got him involved in 2 many deals - like I have a gun to his head)(she actually goes thru and opens his emails). Recall I could care less if I do this. What would be your stance on the situation. I thought this to be more a deal struck out of friendship than a business deal thru the mail. I'm not very happy...

LMK what your thoughts are...30 year collector here. Doormat I'm not. Just trying to help out a friend, but perhaps I'm not worthy.

maccamania
04-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Sky,
you are a good man for trying to help out a friend as I would of done the same. I would not sell it to him now, because of him letting his wife get involved and sticking her nose where it does not belong !!

maccamania
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Yanks,
I am with you on this, when I cut someone a break on something I am happy because the item is going to a good home, but when they turn around and just sell it, thats just wrong.

TFig27
04-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I guess I'll respond since I am the one being called out.

Here is a quote from your post selling the bats:
"Trying to sell these two items to fund another purchase."

I emailed you and asked
"What would be the best price you could do on them now?"

After I paid for them you posted:
"Lot is Sold, Thanks to the buyer"

It sounds like you were happy then when you sold them as you got the money you needed. At no time did I give you any impression of what I planned to do with these, so please do not even mention deceit. You picked the price you were gonig to sell them for, not me. I agreed to it.

I feel you are upset because you had remorse as a seller because you sent me this email:
"How much do you want for my ex. Posada bat that i sold you. I'm thinking that i may be interested in buying it back. Thanks"

A question for you, would you have had any problem if I sold them for a loss?

yanks12025
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Tom,
Okay your right. But when you made your first offer that was not so you could get a lower price and make more profit. The only reason i brought this up was because you have done it times before with other people.

10thMan
04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I listed a WS Mcgwire Issued Bat on Ebay, in less than an hour a Forum member (I know EXACTLY who he is) e-mailed me asked if I`d accept 300.00, this is less than 1/2 of my asking price.

Same thing happened a few weeks ago, EXTREME LOWBALL FORUM MEMBER OFFER. Hate to say it, but it`s true.

Maybe we could make a "Reality" TV Series from it???

I sold a Bat to a Forum member a few years ago for about 175, he spun around & dumped it for about 400.00$

Moral of the Story, LESSON LEARNED. I set a Price & STICK TO IT. Whatever happens after that, I give it ZERO energy...

Sean

Jags Fan Dan
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
You kind of have to know if you sell something on the forum here, you are not reaching the biggest audience ever and therefore are not likely to command top dollar. Where as on eBay or any auction format, all you need is two serious buyers to drive the price to top dollar, or perhaps even past the point of sanity.

skyking26
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I've never sold anything here but a few nickel/dime items.

joelsabi
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
i dont think i would have much of a collection if i didnt get items from collectors with similar interests. most of the time the collector is happy that their item is going to another collector and not a dealer. i guess it comes to the collectors realization that an item that they had in their collection and that they had some attachment to for some significant time is going to "a good home" so that its easier to rationalize selling the item. when that implicit collector to collector agreement is reached, i think it would be a great let down if i saw the item hawked soon after its disposal. hawking the item shows that lack of appreciation of the item from a collector's point of view. i definitely would have seconds thought of selling to the person again or remove the collector discount.

i guess it also up to the seller also to know more the extent of the collector's collection to ascertain whether there is a chance, as there always is, that this item would be resold in the future.

cordovacollector
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
As for me, I see this forum more of a collectors' site. If I ask someone here to give me a better deal, it is in that light of a collector not a dealer. In the short time I have been here, some forum members have made what I felt were generous exchanges and I feel it would be somewhat of a betrayal of friendship just to turn and sell it for an in-your-face obvious profit. And yet, I would later feel it OK to trade it for another item for my permanent collection. Is that being disloyal?

But one thing I have done is that any deals I have made for my Cordova collection, I do consider permanent. It is added to my collection and it stays there. And along the way I have bought several large Cordova collections from collectors, not dealers, and I knew they were giving me better deals because it was going to a "good home" and what they took a lot of time putting together would not just be dumped without regard. Maybe it is an implied sense of collectors' honor. That may be unrealistic, but I think it holds in some cases for some deals.

But life situations change and no one can predict what might happen. I've managed to maintain my Cordova collection through cancer which completely devastated every other area of finances. I've been tempted at times to sell off a key item but have been able to hang on. And I admit, I was helped by the less-than-stellar ending to his career which made any market mighty small rather than if his items maintained high value.

So just speaking for myself, I view transactions from the forum a bit different than eBay or an auction item. If I buy or trade for an item, my intention is not to make a profit from a kindness. But I may make a trade for something that comes along for my Cordova collection ... and hope the forum member would understand. And maybe do the same. I admit when I am selling, if I sense something is going into a collection, I make a better deal for them. If I think it is going to be sold, I make sure I am happy with what I got so I am not tempted down the road that can be mistaken for seller's remorse.

But I am new here ... those are just some thoughts.