PDA

View Full Version : Cowbays Helmet???

NEFAN
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-66-JERRY-RHOME-DALLAS-COWBOYS-GAME-USED-HELMET_W0QQitemZ260397676404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260397676404&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7 C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Thoughts?

short84
04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd like to see more photographs.

aeneas01
04-24-2009, 06:19 PM
this thing and others like it have been floating around as cowboys gamers for the last few years - this one in particular, attributed to jerry rhome, sold at mastro's last auction for only $225 (clearly a sign that most collectors knew it stunk). they are not cowboys gamers, they are macgregor helmets that were available and sold to the public. i was aware of three of these helmets in circulation (all exactly the same including the same facemask), but it's up to four now given that a fellow collector recently told me that he has one as well.

although i had zero doubt about these helmets, i decided to try and give jerry rhome a call for the heck of it and had immediate success. let me first say that jerry rhome is a great guy, just a fantastic soul and we actually ended up chatting over the course of two days about his life and times in the nfl. jerry currently operates a highly regarded personal training operation in georgia - kids from all over the country travel to his facility for one-on-one personal training, no surprise given that jerry has coached the likes of troy aikman, among others, during his tenure as an nfl qb coach.

well jerry got a good laugh at the notion that this thing was once his helmet. and then he got pizzed, very pizzed, that this sort of thing goes on, that honest folks get ripped off in this manner. in fact when i spoke to him on the second day he told me that he had given jack eskridge (the cowboys first and longtime equipment manager) a call to let him know about this nonsense, about fakes being sold. needless to say, jack also confirmed that this wasn't an authentic cowboys helmet.

given that jerry had mentioned jack (who, btw, is quite a legend and quite an equipment innovator), i decided to give jack a call as well. what a treat it was to talk to this gentleman, now 84-years-young. you name it, we talked about it - from his tour of duty that included iwo jima, to a game in green bay, -16 degrees, when he dashed out before kickoff to buy saran wrap and then had his players put on their socks, wrap their socked feet with wrap and then put on another pair of socks - and it worked perfectly. a game in which don perkins' two bar facemask shattered into a million pieces, because of the sub-zero temp, when he got drilled... just a great chat....

btw, for those members that might have a budding young qb on their hands, i reccomend that you take a look at jerry rhome's program...
http://www.jerryrhome.com/joomla/index.php

princip
04-24-2009, 07:41 PM
this thing and others like it have been floating around as cowboys gamers for the last few years - this one in particular, attributed to jerry rhome, sold at mastro's last auction for only $225 (clearly a sign that most collectors knew it stunk). they are not cowboys gamers, they are macgregor helmets that were available and sold to the public. i was aware of three of these helmets in circulation (all exactly the same including the same facemask), but it's up to four now given that a fellow collector recently told me that he has one as well.

although i had zero doubt about these helmets, i decided to try and give jerry rhome a call for the heck of it and had immediate success. let me first say that jerry rhome is a great guy, just a fantastic soul and we actually ended up chatting over the course of two days about his life and times in the nfl. jerry currently operates a highly regarded personal training operation in georgia - kids from all over the country travel to his facility for one-on-one personal training, no surprise given that jerry has coached the likes of troy aikman, among others, during his tenure as an nfl qb coach.

well jerry got a good laugh at the notion that this thing was once his helmet. and then he got pizzed, very pizzed, that this sort of thing goes on, that honest folks get ripped off in this manner. in fact when i spoke to him on the second day he told me that he had given jack eskridge (the cowboys first and longtime equipment manager) a call to let him know about this nonsense, about fakes being sold. needless to say, jack also confirmed that this wasn't an authentic cowboys helmet.

given that jerry had mentioned jack (who, btw, is quite a legend and quite an equipment innovator), i decided to give jack a call as well. what a treat it was to talk to this gentleman, now 84-years-young. you name it, we talked about it - from his tour of duty that included iwo jima, to a game in green bay, -16 degrees, when he dashed out before kickoff to buy saran wrap and then had his players put on their socks, wrap their socked feet with wrap and then put on another pair of socks - and it worked perfectly. a game in which don perkins' two bar facemask shattered into a million pieces, because of the sub-zero temp, when he got drilled... just a great chat....

btw, for those members that might have a budding young qb on their hands, i reccomend that you take a look at jerry rhome's program...
http://www.jerryrhome.com/joomla/index.php

Thanks for sharing Robert. Truly enjoyed hearing about your conversations with Jerry and Jack. Jerry Rhome was of course also the first offensive assistant coach for the Seahawks back in '76, and played an important role in the development of Zorn and Largent those early years. Warren Moon was also a student of Rhome's.

aeneas01
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for sharing Robert. Truly enjoyed hearing about your conversations with Jerry and Jack. Jerry Rhome was of course also the first offensive assistant coach for the Seahawks back in '76, and played an important role in the development of Zorn and Largent those early years. Warren Moon was also a student of Rhome's.

i didn't realize that jerry spent time with the seahawks, the guy has quite a resume - no wonder his personal training camp is so highly regarded. it's always a great experience when you get a hold of someone with jerry's past who also turns out to be a wonderful guy, willing to chat and share incredible "war" stories. can't say enough about mr. rhome...