PDA

View Full Version : My First Time At The New Yankees Stadium!!

suave1477
04-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Well I went to tonights game.

April 21st - field seats first base

First I am pleased to say at least my first game at the new stadium was a win for us.

Pettitte pitched a pretty good game.

Swisher was great with the fans. Really plays to them. He came out with such excitement like he is really happy to be there. Ran out to the Outfield wall and started pumping his fit towards the fans and everyone was excited.

Giambi first at bat tipped off his helmet to the crowd and everyone clapped then he hit a monster looked like it was about to go out and Gardner made a spectacular catch. The crowed gave even a louder ovation for him catching Giambi's ball.

The stadium itself was very nice but surprisingly small compared to the old stadium as far as seating wise. It is good as far as seating the way it is set up now, seems like no matter where you sit, you will have a great view.
But since it is smaller seating wise. It doesn't seem to have that grand feeling, more like almost a minor league park with just a lot of seats.

I was in the section where you get waitered service (another dissapointment) as much as you pay for these tickets they have nerve to charge a service charge on top of your bill (Yep a service charge). So you have your charge for your ticket, food, drinks, tax, tip, & (a service charge)

They had a couple of team stores the main one I was a bit surprised as it was very tight and cluttered inside. Also a Steiner Game Used Store and everything had big price tags. But it did have some pretty cool items. 2000 World Series Game used Base (Derek jeter Auto'd), Jim Leyritz 96 World Series Game Used Chest Protector and 1 shin gaurd. A few jerseys, bats, cleats, batting gloves.
My favorite was game used ball from the old timers game $500:eek:

I would say it was a good experieince but still it wasn't the Stadium that Ruth built!!

yanks12025
04-22-2009, 05:12 AM
You know the seats are acouple inches bigger then the old seats.

pjbmd
04-22-2009, 06:44 AM
do you remember the price tag on the 2000 WS base?

suave1477
04-22-2009, 07:54 AM
do you remember the price tag on the 2000 WS base?

I think it was like 5k or 10k but I am not a 100% sure. I can tell you this though practically everything in there had a thousand dollar or more price tag on it. The only thing I remember being under a thousand was a Jeter batting glove for $900 and the game used old timers game ball for $500

BULBUS
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM
The new stadium has about 4,000 less seats.

I was watching the game and it looks pretty silly how there are so many empty seats in those field level seats you were sitting in and then the seats are full in the sections behind and above. The yankees know they screwed up with the pricing, but they dont want to piss off those that have already paid hundreds, even thousands for those thickets.

suave1477
04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Bulbus I agree they completely priced themselves out at the field level seats. It was funny there was one field level section directly across from us and not one person was sitting in it. Imagine that a whole section and not one person.

When I got hom I turned on the tv and it happend to be on the Yes network and it was replying the game from earlier that I was at and the first thing I hear is, Michael Kay points out how all the field level seats are empty.

Great Job Yankees!!

quiggle28
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
you can't really blame the Yankees, no one knew the economy would be in this state when they originally made these tickets and pricing available.

"Staten Island: Being a life-long Yankee fan, I was eager to see the new Stadium. What a letdown! On Saturday, the gates opened at noon, but you couldn't go down for batting practice without a field-level ticket. I could barely hear the Bleacher Creatures do roll call. And the days of seeing players enter the Stadium are over; they go in through a tunnel. The Yankees have taken the fans out of the game."

BULBUS
04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
quiggle,

I agree that the fans have been left out, but i do blame the Yankees. Even when the economy was better, how could they think they could sell all those insanely priced tickets for 81 games?

The new Giants Stadium is going to look the same, with empty seats from 40 to 40.

suave1477
04-22-2009, 09:19 AM
you can't really blame the Yankees, no one knew the economy would be in this state when they originally made these tickets and pricing available.

"Staten Island: Being a life-long Yankee fan, I was eager to see the new Stadium. What a letdown! On Saturday, the gates opened at noon, but you couldn't go down for batting practice without a field-level ticket. I could barely hear the Bleacher Creatures do roll call. And the days of seeing players enter the Stadium are over; they go in through a tunnel. The Yankees have taken the fans out of the game."

Well I can blame the Yankees. It has nothing to do with the economy. Charging triple now for tickets that were already a bit on the expensive side is ridiculous even in a good economy. I had similar seats even 2 sections closer about a year or 2 ago and it cost me 1/3 of what I paid and my seats now were 2 sections further away. They also didn;t charge me a SERVICE CHARGE for the waiter, that was part of the whole point when you bought the more expensive seats that you got a little extra service with it. Not to buy expensive tickets and when you get there spend more money on those seats.

You said it best they completely took the every day fan out of the game!!

quiggle28
04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
I had taken that quote from today's New York Daily News Voice of the People, who in recent days a lot of other folks have been grousing about CitiField.

All I hear is people saying the prices are too rich for their budget, but I haven't heard anyone voice their displeasure that many children in the local area have lost a playground to play in because this Stadium was built over it.

cjclong
04-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I may be the only one who thinks they should not have abandoned Yankee Stadium. There was so much history there. I know it was older and the passage ways could get crowded. But they could have made some improvements and stayed there. Just because it was no longer fully modern was no reason to leave. It would be like tearing down Independence Hall or Mount Vernon because they did not have air conditioning or indoor plumbing. As a Yankee fan I have to give the Red Sox credit for staying with Fenway.

suave1477
04-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I had taken that quote from today's New York Daily News Voice of the People, who in recent days a lot of other folks have been grousing about CitiField.

All I hear is people saying the prices are too rich for their budget, but I haven't heard anyone voice their displeasure that many children in the local area have lost a playground to play in because this Stadium was built over it.

quiggle I am not sure if your speaking of Yankee Stadium or Citifield. If you are referring to Yankee Stadium. To be honest with you I don't even remember there being such a nice field for the kids to originally play in to begin with.
Not to mention I have heard this argument before, but people act like it is the only damn playground in the Bronx. I mean give me a break. There are tons and tons of them.

But also I do believe the plan is to put up some new fields where the old stadium was.

yanks12025
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
The red sox's have to stay at fenway because Boston people ain't giving up land for them to build a new one. Don't you think they would want a stadium with more than 38,000 seats.

suave1477
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Here is a map of all the playgrounds in the Bronx.

They are not exactly deprived.

http://nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/croton/bronx_park/images/bronx_map_croton_Projects_1_14_09_sm.jpg

cjclong
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
The red sox's have to stay at fenway because Boston people ain't giving up land for them to build a new one. Don't you think they would want a stadium with more than 38,000 seats.
Then good for the people of Boston. At least they have a sense of tradition when it comes to Fenway.

Masimen
04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
In regards to losing the park space. I am no longer a NYS resident, but I am fairly certain the is still a law that states any City owned park space that you take away you must replace elsewhere. That is why the old stadium land will become a park. Yes, in the short term there will be one less park in the Bronx, but once the old stadium comes down that land will become the new park.

TFig27
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Just to add. There is a big billboard on the old stadium of what they are turning it in to. There will be three fields where the old stadium was. I believe two baseball and a softball.

Also, the Yankees converted a parking lot into a turf field. When I was there it looked like they even put another turf field on the top level of the parking garage, which was interesting.

stretch
04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Just to add. There is a big billboard on the old stadium of what they are turning it in to. There will be three fields where the old stadium was. I believe two baseball and a softball.

Also, the Yankees converted a parking lot into a turf field. When I was there it looked like they even put another turf field on the top level of the parking garage, which was interesting.

That's fantastic to hear.

Have been to the area one time and walked around the old stadium. I was curious to know what would end up happening with the area.

Do you, or anyone else know if the park that's across the street is still there? I remember going to a small pizza place across from the old yankee stadium and afterwards heading to that park. I hope it's cleaned up now compared to when I was there.