PDA

View Full Version : would this be wrong to do with a game used?

yankees24
04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
have any of you ever placed any of your game used items on Ebay to see how much interest/bids it would get though with no intention of selling it and placing a reserve price that is outrageously high? do you consider it inappropriate to tease potential buyers like this?

jv225
04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
If you have no intention of selling what would be the point of seeing how much interest it gets?

bigtruck260
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I did this once just to see where I should insure something.

I wanted tangible evidence to present to the insurance company regarding the actual value of one of my bats. It was a bad week for sales and my bat didn't do nearly as well as it normally would have - so I never did it again....

tigerdale
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if you would find out true value...........for me, if something is listed w/ a reserve, I don't bid, figuring its at a crazy hight price. Either start it at your min or start it low if you want bidders..I know this doesn't help...but having a reserve loses bidders from the get go.

treant985
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
There's also the problem that items with reserves will naturally get lower bid totals because bidders don't want to waste their time bidding, only to fall short. That's what makes bidding so exciting--if you're highest, you win (unless there's a reserve...).

So the activity you get on a reserved item almost certainly wouldn't correspond with the activity you'd get on the same item at the same time, but without the reserve.

treant985
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure if you would find out true value...........for me, if something is listed w/ a reserve, I don't bid, figuring its at a crazy hight price. Either start it at your min or start it low if you want bidders..I know this doesn't help...but having a reserve loses bidders from the get go.

Good point! ;)

TriplexXxSports
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
What if you were to see an item on eBay that you desperately wanted, you bid, and bid, and bid.........only to find out that you will never met the reserve.

I say it is pointless, maybe even cruel;). Most people on eBay aren't people that look at the 'value' aspect of an item. They are looking to get what they want, as cheap as possible.

If you want to get a 'value' for your item, send it to Lou! He'd tell you what its worth..:D

NEFAN
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM

I don't agree, when I put a low bid with a reserve it doesn't seem to hurt the bidding. Unlike other selllers, though, if someone asks what my reserve is I tell them.

BergerKing22784
04-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't even bid if their is a reserve

yankees24
04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll give it a try then, I also want to get more exposure and views to the item even though I don't plan on selling it. Some people only know Ebay and not other communities like here where we show each other our items.

does anyone know if there is a limit to the reserve price that can be placed?

skinsfan0521
04-22-2009, 08:28 PM
First, I don't know that you'll get an accurate "value" by putting a reserve price on it. I (as many other people said) don't even bid if there's a reserve. I think that's the case with most people.

Second, I don't know what the reserve price limit is, but I BELIEVE (but am not positive) that the listing fee is based on the reserve price. So, it could cost you like $50 to list it w/a high reserve.

TriplexXxSports
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I'll give it a try then, I also want to get more exposure and views to the item even though I don't plan on selling it. Some people only know Ebay and not other communities like here where we show each other our items.

does anyone know if there is a limit to the reserve price that can be placed?

Let me know when you post it. If you're not planning on selling it, I'll put a bid in of $1000.00 to help your cause.....

xpress34
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
I agree with those who believe that a Reserve definately hurts the bidding on your item.

The few times I list anything on eBay anymore, I only use Fixed Price Auctions with a BIN price that I would 'LIKE' to have and the Best Offer option with the threshold set at a level I would actually take for the item.

That way, if someone wants the item outright, they can just BIN - if they try to low ball me, I can hold onto their offer for 48 hours to see if I get any other offers and if someone makes an offer that meets or exceeds my 'threshold', eBay automatically accepts their offer and the auction is over.

I have made out so much better on eBay by listing this way and almost always get at least the amount I would readily accept for the item.

Just like if I do a show or have a Garage Sale, I'm there to sell stuff, not take it back home or put it back away.

Just my .02

- Chris