PDA

View Full Version : Compare values of different game used items

justinwc80
04-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion. If x=a given players value as a constant what would you say is the value for various game used items. For example jerseys, pants, bats, spikes, balls, wrist bands, batting gloves etc.

example: bats=3x, spikes=5x etc
I have my own opinion but would love to hear what you guys think!

xpress34
04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Great question!!!

I have always wondered this (as a baseball collector) as well because I have seen some players where their GU Bats go for the same as their GU Jerseys or where one goes for more than the other.

Since I generally only collect Jerseys (when I can afford them) and Hats, it's kind of hard for me to fully answer this question.

As far as rarity is concerned, I would have to say - in my opinion - that the order would be Rarest to Most Common:

#1 - Glove (Most players use ONE for an entire season or a few seasons!)
#2 - Cleats (Most players only use one or two pair a season)
#3 - Hat (Most players use a half dozen or so a year - not including special game caps w/ Flag patches, AS Game, etc)
#4 - Jersey / Bat (Most players use a dozen Home and a dozen Road per season - Jersey - and many dozen a season - Bat)
#5 - Batting Gloves (Some players use a few pair a GAME. I've watched Matt Holliday tear off at least three pair in one game if he was having bad at bats)

I am basing the above statements from info given me by various Rockies players and Rockies personnel. It may vary from team to team, but I feel it's a pretty accurate statement.

All the best -

Chris

AWA85
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
One play that I have been collecting has most of these items for sale, so here is a rundown for him

Fielding Glove $300
Jersey $ 200
Bat $115
Spikes $85-100
Caps $60
Batting Gloves $40-50

treant985
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Cleats are certainly rarer than bats, but I think people might tend to pay more for bats just because they can be displayed without people thinking you're weird (by having shoes on display). I got a game used helmet and people look at it weird everytime they see it but they just ignore bats that I've got out...

TriplexXxSports
04-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Jersey - $1000

Pants - $500

Cleats - $300

Dinner with Colonel Rast, Lou Lampson, and Keita - PRICELESS!

justinwc80
04-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I've never understood why bats are more than cleats when cleats should be more rare.

BergerKing22784
04-24-2009, 02:37 AM
As someone else said people get weirded out by worn shoes by other people. I get the same reaction from everyone who sees my collection. They think the bats and jerseys are cool but the game used cleats freak them out and they think its nasty. I cant say I blame them.

Yankwood
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
It's just that the bats are something we all used and can relate to. Different models, weights, lengths, players name, etc. It's a very specific and personal story told about your favorite players. The way that players prepare them for the game whether it's tape, tar and how much, some with nothing at all. That's why there are so many of them in the HOF. We're interested in that aspect of the game. Shoes just seem like a necessity with no other variables other than the brand and size. It doesn't really relate all that much to baseball. To me, anyway. I did get a kick out of seeing Bob Lanier's sneakers though.

Birdbats
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I've never understood why bats are more than cleats when cleats should be more rare.

It's just supply and demand. If a player uses 100 bats and 10,000 people would pay to have one (one bat for every 100 people)... vs. using 5 pairs of shoes and 50 people wanting them (one pair for every 10 people)... the bat will be worth more. Rarity has little meaning if few people have interest in that particular item. To me, cleats rank only slightly higher than shower shoes and jock straps as something I'd want to collect and display (sorry Kyle Hess!).

iceman13
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Rarity doesnt equate to value. Rarity (low supply) AND popularity (high demand) equate to value. Bats and jerseys are much more popular amongst collectors than cleats.

joelsabi
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
can someone give a price comparison for a pair of game used cleats and a game used batting helmet of an all-star player? given a the same characteristics (same year, both non-milestone, and same degree of use) . thanks.