PDA

View Full Version : PayPal holding funds in my account on a item I sold? What?

Tay1038
04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm not a roook or anything... but I just recently sold something through eBay (few hundred bucks) and today I received an email from PayPal giving me a notice of payment received - please ship item. In the notice it states that eBay is teaming up with PayPal to make payments and eBay items even safer. In doing so they are placing a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction until

A.) The buyer leaves positive feedback
B.) That they confirm the item has been delivered by shipping the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page.

Is this for everyone or is my account set up for this? I'm a verified member with Paypal, never had any bad deals. Can someone please help me understand this? To me it’s like a lose-lose situation - especially in our hobby! Many things we all have are one-of-a-kinds - CAN'T be replaced! To me the buyer could easily receive the item, claim I sent the wrong thing, open a dispute and get both the item and his cash back.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? Any recommendations would be great! Thanks for your time!

Taylor

texag
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
If you don't ship with a delivery confirmation, the buyer can say he never received the item and file a claim to get a refund.

kylehess10
04-23-2009, 05:15 PM
If you don't ship with a delivery confirmation, the buyer can say he never received the item and file a claim to get a refund.

This has happened to me before. What I did to get back at the buyer was I sent him an empty envelope and got delivery confirmation for it and entered that number into paypal and I won the case. If you don't wanna lose hundreds because of a fraudulant buyer, then just spend a dollar or two and send an empty envelope with delivery confirmation.

Tay1038
04-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys!

metsbats
04-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I see another problem. What if you ship the item and it's received and the paypal transaction does not go thru because of insufficient funds??

On the planet we live on the customer does not get the goods till payment is received.

Is paypal going to guaranty the funds availability with some sort of seller protection??

suicide_squeeze
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
My resentment and loathsomeness for ebay and paypal were, I thought, maxed out.

Then I read this post.

God, I hate them. The fools that run paypal have villified the sellers, and empowered the buyers to basically do whatever they want, which includes the ability to act on buyer's remorse, lie about receiving the item, protect them from having negative feedback left for them, give them as long as they choose to pay for an item, tie-up some seller with perfect ratings and history by locking up their Paypal account with a completely bogus and fraudulent claim......and buy them Maxi-pads when they are having a menstrual episode, charged to the seller's account.

The whole place is ruined. I avoid it like the plague........unless of course I feel like buying something cheap and reaming some poor pathetic slob for using the services. After all.....Paypal has developed the means for allowing me to do so, with ease. (Of course I refrain.....but point rendered). The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.

spartakid
04-24-2009, 12:06 AM
So what is the purpose of the envelope exactly? Do you mail the envelope and then basically show they recieved the envelope, claiming the item was in the envelope? Can someone clear this up. thanks, Ricardo

jetersbatboy
04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm not a roook or anything... but I just recently sold something through eBay (few hundred bucks) and today I received an email from PayPal giving me a notice of payment received - please ship item. In the notice it states that eBay is teaming up with PayPal to make payments and eBay items even safer. In doing so they are placing a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction until

A.) The buyer leaves positive feedback
B.) That they confirm the item has been delivered by shipping the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page.

Is this for everyone or is my account set up for this? I'm a verified member with Paypal, never had any bad deals. Can someone please help me understand this? To me it’s like a lose-lose situation - especially in our hobby! Many things we all have are one-of-a-kinds - CAN'T be replaced! To me the buyer could easily receive the item, claim I sent the wrong thing, open a dispute and get both the item and his cash back.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? Any recommendations would be great! Thanks for your time!

Taylor

I have only run into this problem, if the buyer use's a credit card and not a bank account to fund paypal.

gnishiyama
04-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Kyle,

What I did to get back at the buyer was I sent him an empty envelope and got delivery confirmation for it and entered that number into paypal and I won the case. If you don't wanna lose hundreds because of a fraudulant buyer, then just spend a dollar or two and send an empty envelope with delivery confirmation.

Its no secret you are a great kid and just want to help others but this not
something you should be recommending to others. Basically you're telling
others to fight fraud with fraud. I assume you did what you felt you needed
to do to protect yourself but if you do get caught it can lead to something more serious like interstate mail fraud. Do what you need to do but somethings you want to keep to yourself.;)

For everyone else, although it sucks, just invest in signature confirmation
and/or insurance. Delivery confirmation is a cheaper option but sometimes they the mailman forgets to scan the item and then you lose. I used to
offer confirmation as an option but 9/10 times the buyer is not willing to
invest an extra $1 or $2 on a $500 item so I just started including it at
no additional charge for my own peace of mind. You can have a great week in sales but one item goes missing and there goes all your profit and then some.

Goh Nishiyama

whatupyos
04-24-2009, 01:18 AM
This happened to me about two weeks ago. I called to find out what was up. I didn't like the fact that I had to ship an item without actually having the money in my bank. The Paypal lady I talked to assured me it is there in my paypal account and they would hold it for me. I shipped the item with a delivery confirmation, which I always do to cover my tail. The person received it and I confirmed it with Paypal, plus they gave me positive feedback and I had the funds 4 days later.

Aaron

David
04-24-2009, 02:21 AM
If you ship correctly, you'll get your money but there will be a delay. The buyer has paid, and PayPal is holding for a delay.

jonincleve
04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
paypal by holding our money is also receiving interest. a couple dollars here and a couple million dollars there. bingo extra interest money in their pockets. not good

take care
john

sportscentury
04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Basically you're telling others to fight fraud with fraud. I assume you did what you felt you needed to do to protect yourself but if you do get caught it can lead to something more serious like interstate mail fraud. Do what you need to do but somethings you want to keep to yourself.;)

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, perhaps the buyer actually did not receive the item. The USPS has been known to lose a few packages. I understand the frustration (believe me), but I don't think mail fraud, a federal offense, is the answer. You could get yourself into a lot of trouble this way. Best to simply always use tracking.

NEFAN
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I've started shipping through Paypal, delivery confirmation is free in that case plus there is a record at Paypal for that item/confirmation number. I always offer insurance but it is totally up to the buyer to pay for it.

justinlm24
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM
This is why I no longer deal with paypal. I nearly lost $300 when I paid for an item and the seller would never send me the item. She finally sent me a refund 3 months later but paypal tried to get the money back from me because the seller "used fraudulent funds" for my refund. Whatever that means. I started getting letters and calls from a debt collector wanting the $300 back. I simply told them no, it was my money to start with, and if she used fraudulent funds then she is the one that needs to make repayment, not me. I had to involve the local police of the seller to stop the debt collector. Needless to say I stopped using paypal immediately. I think they are nothing but a bunch of crooks. Just my opinion.

metsbats
05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I just sold two items on ebay and have not shipped the items. I was waiting for the email from PP to say they are holding the funds and to ship but never got it.

The funds cleared and it's in my bank acct now.