PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Universe Forum Policies

trsent
04-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I was wondering, since my last group of emails to forum owner/moderator Chris Cavalier have gone without a reply:

1. Why do posts get locked that do not follow forum policy but they do not get removed? Howard Wolf called items into question over the past month on three occasions. Twice against Grey Flannel and once against MS Auctions. All three times he called an item out, but had not first contacted the seller about his concerns. I know this to be fact, because I contacted both sellers and on all three occasions - The seller was not contacted and given 24 hours to respond before Howard Wolf posted them as questionable on Game Used Forum.

On all three occasions, no email was received by the sellers before the comments were made.

Now, each time I questioned this on the forum, instead of my concerns being addressed - People attacked me for breaking forum rules with personal attacks and arguments started. Why I am accused of personal attacks when I am always the bad guy for trying to figure out why people are not given a fair chance to respond confuses me.

I do not know about the two Grey Flannel items that were questioned, but I can tell you the Ken Griffey, Jr. jersey that was questioned was unfair and unjust. The reasoning could have been explained by the owner of the item before being called questionable, but Howard Wolf didn't even first give the seller a chance to respond.

I asked Chris Cavalier why this thread was locked but not removed since the allegations of issues with the jersey was not reasonable to the situation - In fact, there is no proof Howard Wolf was correct with his assumption that may have cost the seller money in their auction - But Chris ignored my concerns not replying to a single one of my emails.

I asked, not expecting a reply, if Game Used Universe will protect people breaking rules on the forum if they are customers of Game Used Universe as a sale site or an auction site. I didn't expect a reply, but it makes for a very confusing set of rules if customers are given special treatment to abuse the rules while others will be punished for breaking the rules.

Here is a list of posts Howard Wolf has made ignoring forum rules:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24929

Not only is it void of the usual extra length tag found on Griffey gamers, but how about this for a description of the numbers, "Stitching on numbers is looser than factory norm suggesting possible local affixing"

Looks like something that should first be asked of the seller to me. I contacted the seller and they did not receive an email from Howard Wolf asking about this before his post. The stitching concern may be genuine, but the concern over the extra tag is not always the norm and an assumption. In both cases - The seller had a right to be questioned before the post was made.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24391 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24391)

Unless I'm mistaken, the last year the A's wore McAuliffe jerseys was 1981!

Now, he doesn't ask about the tagging - He makes a statement the brand of jersey is wrong, unless he is telling everyone incorrect information. Notice my post - Howard later says he emailed Grey Flannel about his concerns, but this post was made just hours after the auction preview went live. So, no time for a reply was given before making a post questioning an item.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=131658#post131658 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=131658#post131658)

A few years ago, I had a "1991 George Brett" home jersey offered to me, and upon close inspection of the Rawlings tag, it appeared to have been resewn. Likewise, the year tag was "short" and appeared to have been removed from one shirt, and then added to the shirt in question. As a result, the area to the left of the set/date did not have the usual spacing.

The current offering in the Grey Flannel auction appears to have similar characterisitics:
1. The stitching on the left and right side are not the same "style" or
pattern
2. Open holes on the left and right side. I have seen this before on tags
that have been "resewn"
3. The usual fabric on the right and left side were not turned under during
manufacturing/sewing, as is the norm for Rawlings tagging.

Once again, the question was posted less than 24 hours after the preview was listed.

So, if forum rules are broken as in these three threads - Why are the posts still on the web site and not removed? I know, the owner/moderator has desecration, but then how can other users know the rules are being enforced?

Next topic:

2. I am accused time and time again of breaking the rules of personal attacks. Since people do not like it when I bring up questions such as the ones in the topic above, I make it clear - If I am attacked, I will defend myself and my family.

No reason today nyjetsfan14 has to hijack a thread where I offered to try to put Howard Wolf and Ritchie Ruzzek together to try to iron out their differences to they can work together instead of against one and other.

Instead, Matthew Stratton has to personally attack me, stating I broke forum rules by attacking others recently - Thus hijacking a thread and an adult discussion. Then when I reply - He continues to tell me that he is not making an attack on me, but bringing up facts.

Huh? Continually, members of this forum like to attack me when I bring up topics for discussion. Here is the thread in question:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25132

I didn't bring up Howard Wolf's not contacting Grey Flannel for this thread, because Howard did ask in his first post "Does anyone have any insight on Reese being a coach with the Dodgers in 1962?" so I believe this is considered following forum rules by bringing an item into question by asking for help in making determinations about the unknown.

I never questioned this, but I offered to help attempt to make peace and Matthew Stratton had to attack me for something in a post he says I attacked someone else some time ago. Why is this allowed? No reason I should have to defend myself for something in a thread non-related to the discussion.

Why? Because some people have nothing better to do than stir up trouble.

This sample is just an exampled of time and time again when the same few people call me the forum "Police" for asking why a rule is broken, but then they never seem to realize that the forum is one big policeman be it me asking if a seller was first contacted or someone questioning an item. It should all work fine, but a few people just want to be judge, jury and Jesus Christ all at the same time with a chip on their shoulder.

These are my thoughts for today. Constructive comments or concerns are welcome but maybe the children should take a deep breath before making the same arguments time and time again because it is getting old and if there are rules for some there should be the same rules for everyone.

yanks12025
04-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Joel,
Have you read rule 4 lately. It states:

No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

Have you gotten prior approval. If not i believe your breaking forum rules with advertising TRS Enterprises.

trsent
04-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Joel,

No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

Have you gotten prior approval. If not i believe your breaking forum rules with advertising TRS Enterprises.

Thanks you for your concern. The moderators have seen this as my signature for many years. Other business owners sign with the business name and items they specialize in. If there an an issue with my signature file, Eric Stengel and later Chris Cavalier, who have seen thousands of my posts should have emailed me asking me to change it. Otherwise - Who am I hurting by your accusation of breaking a rule? I do not drive people to a for sale web site or anything of that nature - I sign with my company name and I list items I am willing to buy.

Are you jealous of something?

I am glad you contributed to the discussion I started. Next time - Don't hijack a threat attacking me - That is a sign of weakness when instead of discussing my concerns someone brings up something totally different that they find to defend my concerns about something else.

I believe there is a term for this weakness, but I do not know what it is. It is taking a topic and bringing up an unrelated topic to take the focus off the question at hand. Good job - It show strong intelligence using that weak method of debate and discussion.

You should be proud you created a temporary diversion instead of discussing the topic I brought up in the first place - It shows you are a strong person with strong beliefs and convictions.

yanks12025
04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
How i'm hijacking your thead when im talking about forum rules, which your thread is about.

xpress34
04-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Joel,

Joel and Yanks -

A) I am NOT attacking anyone here - just to make that clear...

B) Yanks - if you Google TRS Enterprises, their are like 20 different ones, the only one I could link Joel to is his eBay account under TRS Enterprises and I didn't think there were any rules against listing your eBay acct name - in fact, like most Sports Card and Memorabilia Boards, I thought it was encouraged in order to give other members a better background on you (feedback, etc)

C) Joel - if TRS Ent is something other than your eBay account, I have to agree with Yanks statement.

D) As someone who is constantly trying to increase my Knowledge of both GU and AU items and as an ADULT (I'm 45) if I want to hear all of the whinning and crap that goes on here (again, NOT directed at you Joel - but to MANY members in General), I can just listen to my 15 year old and his friends or go to other boards that are populated by 10-15 year olds.

I LIKE that Chris Cavalier lets people speak their mind here for the most part without being editied and 'big brothered' to death as sometimes, certain things DO need to be said, but I willa gree that in the Pee Wee Reese thread - on which I have a couple of comments as well - It does appear to me that NY Jets just dumped all over Joel with no cause.

That's MY .02 and I stand by it.

I would love it if we could all just get along, but even 12 years of serving my country and just 8 years after 9/11 have shown me that is unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

All the best -

Chris

trsent
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
How i'm hijacking your thead when im talking about forum rules, which your thread is about.

I brought up a discussion about two situations. Did you mention concerns about either one or attack me for what you feel is breaking a rule, even though the moderators have never said a word to me about the same signature in multiple years?

Find a better method to debate my issues and start your own thread and do not hijack my thread with your petty concerns that must not be an issue if the moderators have not asked me about it over the course of many years now.

Keep pfishing, maybe you should comment on my religious believes as others have to divert the discussion to another topic instead of addressing my genuine concerns. As usual - Try a magic act to take the attention away from the topic.

yanks12025
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm done fighting with you. I was not attacking you i just asked about rule 4.

trsent
04-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Joel and Yanks -

A) I am NOT attacking anyone here - just to make that clear...

B) Yanks - if you Google TRS Enterprises, their are like 20 different ones, the only one I could link Joel to is his eBay account under TRS Enterprises and I didn't think there were any rules against listing your eBay acct name - in fact, like most Sports Card and Memorabilia Boards, I thought it was encouraged in order to give other members a better background on you (feedback, etc)

C) Joel - if TRS Ent is something other than your eBay account, I have to agree with Yanks statement.

D) As someone who is constantly trying to increase my Knowledge of both GU and AU items and as an ADULT (I'm 45) if I want to hear all of the whinning and crap that goes on here (again, NOT directed at you Joel - but to MANY members in General), I can just listen to my 15 year old and his friends or go to other boards that are populated by 10-15 year olds.

I LIKE that Chris Cavalier lets people speak their mind here for the most part without being editied and 'big brothered' to death as sometimes, certain things DO need to be said, but I willa gree that in the Pee Wee Reese thread - on which I have a couple of comments as well - It does appear to me that NY Jets just dumped all over Joel with no cause.

That's MY .02 and I stand by it.

I would love it if we could all just get along, but even 12 years of serving my country and just 8 years after 9/11 have shown me that is unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

All the best -

Chris

Chris, my eBay user name is "trsent" and it is also my name on this forum and other world wide web services for personal use. I can sign my company name just like others do so people know where I am posting from. It is my company name (which will be changing in the next year - Not related to this topic) and I can sign with my company name so people know who I represent.

I do not advertise "trsent" as my eBay user id nor do I advertise any links to anything related to TRS Enterprises in my signature. I mention items I am looking to buy and I have done this for years and years. Others mention items they are buying in their signature and on one attacks their signature file. I am not advertising my company - Anyone who thinks that is off base. It is like a business card - People know who I represent. People are bored and look to turn a topic instead of discussing the concerns at hand.

I appreciate your constrictive comments. You do not have to agree with my views, but abuse of questioning items without contact the seller first is a serious issue that we have seen can lead to legal issues. I am concerned for the negative attention sent to an item, weather warranted or not, that are not first discussed with the seller to see if an error was made on either side is a serious issue that the moderators should address more than just making a post then not enforcing the rule - In my opinion.

trsent
04-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm done fighting with you. I was not attacking you i just asked about rule 4.

Ok. No big deal. Please ask the moderators about rule 4 if it concerns you. It doesn't concern me.

xpress34
04-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Chris,

I appreciate your constructive comments. You do not have to agree with my views, but abuse of questioning items without contact the seller first is a serious issue that we have seen can lead to legal issues. I am concerned for the negative attention sent to an item, weather warranted or not, that are not first discussed with the seller to see if an error was made on either side is a serious issue that the moderators should address more than just making a post then not enforcing the rule - In my opinion.

Joel -

I am torn on this issue - I agree that the poster should first give the offering party time to respond to concerns, however (like many others here) I have noticed that the majority of the time, the offering party refuses to respond, BUT the poster should allow 24-48 hours before going public.

That said, I DO appreciate the information that may or may not lead me to make a purchase based on NEW, Questionable, or Neglected Information.

In fact, I had an issue involving this earlier this year (there's a post on here somewhere) on an eBay item. It was a Pujols GU hat AU w/ ROY inscription. I was the winning high bidder on the auction, but because someone else questioned the item, eBay removed it AFTER the auction had closed. I wrote the seller who was MORE than willing to send me the hat (at his expense!) and allow me a week to check the item out and decide whether or not I wanted to complete the purchase. He understood my concern that eBay had removed the auction. I posted pics of the hat here and compared with my ROY inscribed ball that I got IN Person in 2002 and many Cardinals collectors here agreed it looked good, so I completed the deal. The UNKNOWN person who questioned the article with eBay didn't have to say who he was to the buyer or me, but it almost ruined a GREAT purchase for my collection.

I also noticed earlier that someone here simply asked a general question to the board about an item on Heritage Auctions and when I clicked their link, it gave me a WARNING telling me that the site I used to link to their thread had persons posting questions about their items for sale so a block had been put in place to prohibit coming to their site from the board. That person didn't say ANYTHING Negative about the site, just asked if anyone had any thoughts or questions that they should ask Heritage. In that case, HERITAGE jumped the gun and blocked ALL GUU members from linking to their site from here to even ask a question.

I guess everyone has their own view on it - and you're right, they are entitled to it. I'm not here to get into a nasty arguement with anyone - I might argue facts and such (based on hard evidence) - but overall, I do side more with you on this as I don't want to be attacked on something without even being given a chance to address any concerns first.

As far as your company name, it really doesn't bother me - I was only saying if it's a Forum Policy, then it's a Forum Policy - I'm not here to Police or Inform on anyone. If Chris and the Mods have no problem, then who really cares? They are the only ones who can Close or Lock or Delete threads... in fact, the fact that you cannot edit your OWN words here is probably my only issue with the Forum as a whole.

All the best to you and yours -

Chris

ndevlin
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
forum rules? administrators? ahhh, brings back memories.....