PDA

View Full Version : Ever See A MEARS Jersey Graded A1?

trsent
04-26-2009, 04:39 AM
https://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=2399

I have never seen a jersey graded A1!

mvandor
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Isn't that essentially saying it's garbage within their system? And yet THEY are auctioning it off?

Fnazxc0114
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
its not really garbage they explained why it got the low grade. doesnt a grade of a anything mean its authentic?

mvandor
04-26-2009, 11:10 AM
its not really garbage they explained why it got the low grade. doesnt a grade of a anything mean its authentic?

I certainly wouldn't agree with that, no. Otherwise why have a 1-10 scale? A 1 on a scale of 10 would certainly be a red flag to me in ANY system.

UGA-1
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
In reponse to a question I had to Mears about the fact that a jersey I had was not authentic because it had cut sleeves ,and evidence strongly indicates that this player NEVER had cut sleeves, they responded with....

With respects to your (DELETED) jersey, if I recall, the jersey was graded an A6. Our criterial for jerseys less than A10 allow for slight variations, as we do not claim the jersey to be 100% game worn. We evaluate the jersey on professional issue as the league provenance does not accompany the jersey.

"Although the sleeve hemming issue may be relavent, it would not have affected our grade as our criteria for items less than A10 allow for some deviations. Finally, with respects to making a claim with regards to the sleeves, all other examples from the same year would have to be known, thus allowing for absolute comparison. On a post 1987 jersey where MEARS does not have access to all of the information such as documentation of the history of all of the (DELETED) jerseys worn during a specific season, we assign a grade less than the A10."

In my opinion,this surely indicates that anything less than an A10 is probably junk and should be an A1 but it would be difficult to sell an A1, don't cha think?, And sometimes the A10's are junk since their research consists of only their databased items. If the database is flawed then guess what? But how do you even link an item to a player when it is obvious it is wrong?

Sorry, if I got off topic but I had to vent a little. To answer your question, No. I personally have never seen an A1, but I do own one.:(

David
04-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Two points on the grading scale concerning game use and number.

A modern A5 usually means the jersey fits specifications but there is nothing that ties it to the player or team (team LOA, other). So that doesn't mean it was automatically game worn by the player.

A bat can get docked points for purely condition problems-- ala a chipped off portion of the knob. So a genuinely game used bat can receive a 9 just due to condition.