X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Silly Question

Here's a silly question that has driven me nuts for years:

WHY DO BATTERS ALMOST ALWAYS FIND IT NECESSARY TO STEP OUT AFTER EVERY PITCH AND READJUST THE VELCRO STRAP ON THEIR BATTING GLOVES?

This is almost comical. I watched a KC batter today step out of the box after every pitch (whether he connected or not) to readjust the velcro strap. Now, if you are standing there, don't swing, those gloves have not moved......

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com
  • jobathenut
    • Nov 2008

Re: Silly Question

skyking-i thought i was the only one that drove nuts...man i hate that,my dad used to hate nomar for that reason, he used to always make fun of him and would yell at the tv when the sux's were playing the yankees.But i have to say,he did do a funny impresssion of him doing it.But i'm sorry i have no ansewer for you,as i also don't understand it.But i do know this,they wonder why the game is so darn slow,there's one reason right there

Comment

• David
      • Sep 2024

Brief cognitive science article that touches on baseball rituals.

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

I think it is merely done for, like a nervous twitch or a habit.

You want to make sure the gloves are on tight and secure for every swing. I remember years ago I used to play handball and I used to wear a glove. after every swing I got or chance I got I would do the same thing I would readjust the velcro to tighten the glove on my wrist so it wouldn't feel loose. If for some reason it feels loose while your swinging your hand it becomes a distraction and you may not follow through properly (100%).

Now that I am in softball I do the same thing with my batting gloves. I tighten them after every swing / at bat.

It just a force of habit

Comment

• yanks12025
          • Jan 2006

suave1477,
          Wearing no batting gloves would work. Thats what i do in softball. Also if you go with the no gloves you can also go with the Alou and Posada way in peeing on your hands. I have not tryed it and i don't think i will.

Comment

• GarkoCollector
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by yanks12025
            suave1477,
            Wearing no batting gloves would work. Thats what i do in softball. Also if you go with the no gloves you can also go with the Alou and Posada way in peeing on your hands. I have not tryed it and i don't think i will.
            Using an aluminum bat with a rubber grip is WAY different than using a wooden bat either raw or with tape.

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
              • Sep 2007

it is just part of a routine, keeping a routine keeps every moment the same mentally no matter what is on the line. Same thing if you ever watch bowling, if someone disturbs them before they start their approach they put the ball down and start everything over.

Comment

• ndevlin
                • Mar 2008

Also, when you sway back and fourth waiting for the pitch and swing, it loosens your gloves. Some guys have a routine. Some guys like tight gloves.

Comment

• yanks12025
                  • Jan 2006

Your right Garko, i forgot about that.

Comment

• ndevlin
                    • Mar 2008

I actually went to the Friday game when Greinke pitched. He has really stepped it up this year. During BP, Leyland was also walking from homeplate to the bullpen and stopped on his way to sign autographs for Royals fans. I thought that was pretty cool.

I was also able to catch 3 BP balls. 1 during the Royals BP, 2 for the Tigers. And the renovations to Kauffman stadium are nice.

Comment

• Nathan
                      • Nov 2005

If I had my way, batters stepping out of the box between pitches would be an automatic strike added to the count.

As far as I'm concerned, when you step in the box, your at-bat begins. It doesn't end until you either strike out, walk, or put the ball into play. In the meantime, you can't step out of the box and can't call for time either (obvious exception being if a contact lens falls out or there's some sort of situation that would warrant it).
                      Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• jobathenut
                        • Nov 2008

nathan-i'd go along with that,but i would also say that pitchers have a pitch clock,so they have a certain time to pitch a ball or it's a ball for the hitter.To me,if they went by these rules that we have set here,it would speed uo the game.
                        Originally posted by Nathan
                        If I had my way, batters stepping out of the box between pitches would be an automatic strike added to the count.

As far as I'm concerned, when you step in the box, your at-bat begins. It doesn't end until you either strike out, walk, or put the ball into play. In the meantime, you can't step out of the box and can't call for time either (obvious exception being if a contact lens falls out or there's some sort of situation that would warrant it).

Comment

Working...