Game Used Ripken Home Jersey 99 on Ebay?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr.miracle
    • Apr 2006

Game Used Ripken Home Jersey 99 on Ebay?

I have contacted the Seller to get specifics on this Jersey? Anybody have any opinions on this? There appears to be no reserve on this which seems crazy if this is authentic. If the pics don't show up take a look at the auction on ebay. Any feedback from the Orioles experts would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Brett

Cal Ripken game used Orioles jersey

Item number: 8805421021

Own a piece of history!! This jersey belongs in the Hall of Fame!! This is a game used 1999 Cal Ripken Jr. jersey. This jersey is from the 1999 season, and is the O's home jersey. The jersey has everything stitched on. The jersey is a size 48+2" of extra length. There is a velcro between the second and third buttons.

Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.
  • mr.miracle
    • Apr 2006

Re: Game Used Ripken Home Jersey 99 on Ebay?

Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• mr.miracle
      • Apr 2006

Brett Herman

Comment

• mr.miracle
        • Apr 2006

Brett Herman

Comment

• bigtime59
          • Nov 2005

Photographs exist showing Cal wearing a jersey with this style Orioles script (which I call "super high 'i'") in 1999, so that's a plus. However--and remember, I'm making this judgement comparing small photos of a jersey shot on an angle to the Orioles 1999 jerseys I have in my collection--I don't like either '8' or the 'RIPKEN' on the back.
          Mark
          msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• mr.miracle
            • Apr 2006

Thanks, I just realized that this jersey also has the 7 logo in honor of Cal Sr. passing. I don't know if you could buy the jersey's like this but that could be a plus to. The seller said he acquired it from a serious Orioles collector several years ago. Comes with a COA from the seller.
            Brett Herman

Comment

• stlbats
              • Nov 2005

There was a jersey on ebay a couple months ago almost identicle to this one if I rememeber correctly listed as GAME ISSUED. It sold off of ebay on a side deal.

Jason

Comment

• mr.miracle
                • Apr 2006

There seems to be some real problems with this jersey. Although it looks like it has the proper tagging, it shows no game use in the pictures, the seller claims to have bought it from a really HUGH Ripken collector several years ago but does not remember his name. He also received an LOA from the Ripken collector but now cannot find the LOA. Several GUU members have said that a similar jersey sold on ebay several months ago that was clearly sold as Game Issued not Game Used. The seller insists that it will pass authentication from PSA/DNA, Grey Flannel etc. If anybody has any additional feedback please pass it along. The seller also told me when I asked him that he forgot to put a reserve on the auction. I don't know about anyone else, but if I am selling an authentic game worn Ripken that probably would bring $4k if it is the real deal, then I am not going to forget to put a reserve on the auction just in case the bidding never gets about $500.00 in the six days the auction is going on. There simply appears to be too many issues in question for this to be a real GAME USED Jersey.
                Brett Herman

Comment

• seven4five20
                  • Nov 2005

Although I have no opinions as to the authenticity of this jersey, I will say that not putting a reserve doesn't point the wrong way. I know I won't bid on items with reserves most of the time, and I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way.

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

I agree with seven4five, I constantly list high end items with no reserve, normally the market pushes the bid to where I want it to go and have not been dissapointed yet.
                    I dont put a reserve price not bcuz it is fake and im hoping i will make some kind of monet but i dont do it bcuz i dont want to have to pay the fee for the reserve and i sont want to scare potential bidders away.

Some people will not bid on an item bcuz there is a reserve bcuz they feel if there is a reserve its probably too high, and too close to the asking price anyway.

I am for one do not bid on items if they have a reserve bcuz i dont feel like wasting my time to bid on something to find out where the reserve is at!!!

Comment

• stlbats
                      • Nov 2005

As for the seller guaranteeing that the jersey will pass PSA/DNA, the jersey is obviously game issued or at least an authentic style jersey. PSA has no way of proving its actual game use without a photo match, which would be near impossible in my opinion.

Thanks
                      Jason

Comment

• mr.miracle
                        • Apr 2006

I would normally completely agree however with this being a rather short 6 day auction perhaps seven, it would be really easy for this jersey to get away from the seller without getting a fair price. Unless a ton of people are searching for this item at the same time there may not be much competition to run the bid up. Perhaps I am underestimating the number of people who might be searching because I know Ripken is a very hot item for game used so this auction may end up ending very high. Who knows maybe I am crazy. Bottom line, I would be really nervous as a seller with something assuming this is legit that could bring the kind of dollars that game used Ripken's command. I am sure we have all seen items go for way above their perceived value and items go for way below actual value. You just never, ever know. Thanks also Jason for those comments, that makes sense because it looks 99.9% certain that this was at least a game issued jersey the real problem would be actually proving its use in a game which is next to impossible.
                        Brett Herman

Comment

• allstarsplus
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mr.miracle
                          I would normally completely agree however with this being a rather short 6 day auction perhaps seven, it would be really easy for this jersey to get away from the seller without getting a fair price. Unless a ton of people are searching for this item at the same time there may not be much competition to run the bid up. Perhaps I am underestimating the number of people who might be searching because I know Ripken is a very hot item for game used so this auction may end up ending very high. Who knows maybe I am crazy. Bottom line, I would be really nervous as a seller with something assuming this is legit that could bring the kind of dollars that game used Ripken's command. I am sure we have all seen items go for way above their perceived value and items go for way below actual value. You just never, ever know. Thanks also Jason for those comments, that makes sense because it looks 99.9% certain that this was at least a game issued jersey the real problem would be actually proving its use in a game which is next to impossible.
                          Click here: eBay: Cal Ripken Jr. Game Used Orioles Jersey (item 8805421021 end time May-09-06 10:40:36 PDT)

The jersey looks clean. The velcro is positioned properly. The tagging is right on for a 1999 and the Cal Sr. 7 looks right. The RIPKEN lettering doesn't look like the gamers I have seen, but maybe someone has photo evidence for that type.

Did he give you a reason why he is doing a Private Auction?

Here is tagging from a Harold Baines I had. Click image for larger version

Name:	baines_jersey_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	635312
                          Regards,
                          Andrew Lang
                          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                          202-716-8500

Comment

• suave1477
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mr.miracle
                            just in case the bidding never gets about $500.00 in the six days the auction is going on.
                            No need to fear the bidding is up to $900 and I am sure it will go up even higher before the auction is over

Comment

• mr.miracle
                              • Apr 2006

No, no reason given why he went the private auction route. The seller did say the jersey shows good wear on the front from slidding? Nothing is really evident from the pics. I am passing on this one, too many questions. Short of seeing it come off of Cal's back and handed over to me, it is just too easy for somebody to make a good forgery or this was issued and never game used. Thanks everyone for all your input on this one.
                              Brett Herman

Comment

Working...