PDA

View Full Version : game used bat question

geoff
05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I bought a game used signed bat from ebay got it in the mail and on the autograph it has plastic wrap on it.What does that do to the autograph itself if i leave the plastic on the autograph for a long period of time would that mess up the autograph on the bat.Or should i take the plastic off of the autograph.In time would the plastic stick to the bat and again mess up the autograph.Any help would be nice.Thanks Geoff

MSpecht
05-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Hi Geoff--

My recommendation would be to take the plastic off as soon as possible. While it may not harm anything right away, there is really no good that can result from the plastic. I believe that the best protection for the autograph would be to:

1) Keep the signature out of direct sunlight;

2) Do not touch the autograph with your hands as the oil and sweat will eventually denigrate the signature; and

3) Keep the bat protected in a bat tube or, bretter yet, a UV protected bat case for maximum protection.

Check out my previous post in The Experts Corner for additional information on Autographs and Game Used Bats. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=147

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

suave1477
05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Mspecht I enjoyed reading your article as I myself collect tons of autographs, but I do disagree with you on a few things.

I have collected autographs for years so I am also talking from experience.

I have better experience with Blue Sharpies and they have been proven to last longer. Black sharpies tend to fade over time to a somewhat of dark brownish color

As far as silver markers I disagree again I have some of my most beautiful autographs on black bats with silver marks that look absolutely beauiful.

With all this being said - I am not saying its not possible to have great experiences with other items I am just going with statistics from what has been proven by experts and my own experience.

You would be surprised of different out comes of using the same thing.

I have one baseball autographed by a no name player years ago and i is still sharp and pristine today as the day it was done.
I have another baseball just like the previous one i mentioned signed with the same type of pen by Hall of Famer Juan Marichal with a very rare inscription and it lasted for 2 weeks and bled worse then a pig.

So go figure!!! I always say its luck of the draw you just never know!!!

MSpecht
05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Suave--

I don't think we are really in disagreement here. The main point of my article was that each type of writing instrument -- whether it is ball point pen, blue/black/red/whatever Sharpie, gold or silver metallic writer -- has certain characteristics that a collector should be aware of in order to get the best possible result. You are right in that each medium can produce an outstanding autograph, just as each can produce a less-than-perfect signature. The main point was simply to advise collectors to put some thought into the autograph they are seeking -- type of writing instrument, type of surface (ball, picture, card, bat, etc), writing characteristics of the player -- and choose accordingly in order to have the best chance at a great result.

Everyone's experiences are valuable, and help people from possibly making siome tough mistakes...I am sure I probably have some wide tip Sharpie autographs on baseballs around somewhere -- at least I think I remember that they were once autographs LOL.

All the best.

Mike

suave1477
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Mike I agree with that and I do feel your article is useful and helpful to autograph collectors.

Now we just have to work on trying to get autographs for cheaper lol lol:D

geoff
05-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Mike for the knowledge.Geoff