PDA

View Full Version : Questioning Legitimacy of This Hat & Questions

GarkoCollector
05-01-2009, 10:47 AM
http://mearsonline.com/forsale/item/?id=1403

Thanks to cordovacollector for pointing me in this direction.

Did guys wear this style of hat in games?
Does the timeline fit that is listed?
Is it common to attribute an item to someone because "they are the only one that could have worn it."?

I appreciate the info everyone.
Tom

cordovacollector
05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I noticed in the auction item title that it states this is a BP hat. Does that help answer your question?

kingjammy24
05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
as has been stated here before by others, hats have got to be the absolute worst in terms of ascertaining legitimacy. unlike jerseys, bats, cleats, or even batting gloves, there is absolutely no difference from a new era cap you can pick up at Lids or Champs and one worn on the field. other than garko, you know who else could've worn that cap? anyone in the world. literally. what exactly is the substantial evidence that causes mears to believe the cap was even worn in the major leagues? the "25" scrawled in marker on the brim? like only ryan garko has access to a marker? like the 12 yr old on my street couldn't go to the mall right now, buy a cap, and write "25" on the brim? like i said, caps are the worst. the only way i'd buy into one is if the provenance was solid; eg: meigray, mlb/steiner, or if i was buying it directly from the player/team. or if it was conclusively photomatched. otherwise, in my opinion, you've got nothing to suggest it was even worn in the majors. sorry but a number written in sharpie doesn't even come close to being sufficient.

garko's an active player. given the MLB's current propensity to capitalize on all of this stuff, i'd wait for a garko cap to be auctioned off by the indians. at least there you've got some provenance.

rudy.

orioles03
05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
i have a hat like that from when i bat boy for the indians when they came to baltimore i only wore it in bp then they gave me a regular road game hat for the games

GarkoCollector
05-02-2009, 05:51 AM
as has been stated here before by others, hats have got to be the absolute worst in terms of ascertaining legitimacy. unlike jerseys, bats, cleats, or even batting gloves, there is absolutely no difference from a new era cap you can pick up at Lids or Champs and one worn on the field. other than garko, you know who else could've worn that cap? anyone in the world. literally. what exactly is the substantial evidence that causes mears to believe the cap was even worn in the major leagues? the "25" scrawled in marker on the brim? like only ryan garko has access to a marker? like the 12 yr old on my street couldn't go to the mall right now, buy a cap, and write "25" on the brim? like i said, caps are the worst. the only way i'd buy into one is if the provenance was solid; eg: meigray, mlb/steiner, or if i was buying it directly from the player/team. or if it was conclusively photomatched. otherwise, in my opinion, you've got nothing to suggest it was even worn in the majors. sorry but a number written in sharpie doesn't even come close to being sufficient.

garko's an active player. given the MLB's current propensity to capitalize on all of this stuff, i'd wait for a garko cap to be auctioned off by the indians. at least there you've got some provenance.

rudy.

Rudy-
You basically touched on EVERY concern I had. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I appreciate the feedback.
Tom

Capital-Sports
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Why dont you ask Dave M the history of this piece? He posts regulary on this site and is a stand up guy. Im sure he will give you all the details.

Owner:Dave Miedema