PDA

View Full Version : I just snuck this baby into my house!

metsbats
05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I was going to post this in the May pickups but there's a good story to go with this.

This is the bat rack which was in the Mets Clubhouse at Shea. I just met Barry at Citi Field to pick it up this morning (Mei Gray is at the WCBS expo today) and after my wife and kids left to visit some relatives I snuck this into the house. Needless to say my wife does not know about this purchase and if you don't see any subsequent posts from me after tonight she killed me:D

Have any of you ever had to sneak in a new piece of memorabilia into the house?

BTW. Barry brought lots of nice goodies from Shea to the expo at Citi Field. We were all drooling as he unloaded the truck. There were batting circles (nice one from Ralph Kiner Night), NL, Nikon stools, cut pieces of the foul poll, etc. If you have a chance go down to Citi Field as i'm sure there are some nice buys to be had!

gameused
05-02-2009, 11:13 AM
David,

Nice pick up! That's cool having an actual bat rack from Shea. Hey, if your wife ask what it is, you can always tell her that it's a speaker box for a new sound system your building.:D

Bobby

metsbats
05-02-2009, 11:20 AM
David,

Nice pick up! That's cool having an actual bat rack from Shea. Hey, if your wife ask what it is, you can always tell her that it's a speaker box for a new sound system your building.:D

Bobby

Thanks Bobby. She always complained that the bats were all over the house now at least I have somewhere to store them. It's a practical purchase. I'm shooting for that angle.

metsbats
05-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I made sure to fill it up before she gets home.

stretch
05-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Nice pick-up. Can't wait to know how she reacts.........

ironmanfan
05-02-2009, 12:37 PM
would you mind sharing how much this cost?

yanks12025
05-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Really nice item. I hope the yankees do the same with the foul poles as did the mets. I would love to own a piece of one.

quiggle28
05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
very nice, did you also get the free gift from MeiGray?

metsbats
05-02-2009, 01:19 PM
very nice, did you also get the free gift from MeiGray?

Barry unfortunately was stressed this morning. His only helper was a young lady and they arrived later than they expected and had the daunting task of unloading a truckload of memorabilia and setting up in the expo.

Given the circumstances I didn't want to ask for the free gift.

Not really sure what it would have been.

If anyone comes back with the free gift please let us know what it is.

geoff
05-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I Sneak just about everything Game Used Or Memoribilia wise in my place.I have so much stuff my GirlFriend just does not know the Difference.She does tell me sometimes I have too much stuff and I just try to Sell a few Items to make her happy and to not hear it from her.

island_style
05-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Great pick up, David! A used bat rack from Shea is the ultimate way to pay homage to your Mets game used bats. I've seen many posts on displaying bats and, they're all great. However, this tops them all, in my opinion. Congrats!

Get those 12" woofers ready in case your wife doesn't agree, though!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

metsbats
05-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm still alive. The "we needed to store the bats somewhere centrally to reduce the clutter worked". Additionally selling 2 jerseys and 2 bats to cover the purchase price of the bat rack helped alot too (the "married guys with families" financing option plan for new purchases). In addition she quite amused that I went thru all the trouble to get the rack into the house behind her back. Answer to your inquiry ironmanfan is 1K.

Thanks all !

xpress34
05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
David -

Glad to hear you're still with us!!! I had to share this thread with my wife yesterday and I just updated her with this mornings post.

When I told her about the 'Married Guys with Families Financing Option' she laughed and said she knows that I am aware of thay Plan!

Great rack...

All the best -

Chris

skyking26
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I too shared this post with wife. She has been well aware of my fancy accounting, other deeds I have done thru the years. I use cashier's checks, business addresses, you name it. When the heat is on, you have to adjust if you are a married man.

We all have to use common sense to. In another post, Adam Dunn's error Natinals jersey went for $8500 last night. Absolute lunacy. Buyer has to assure himself it will be a conversation-joke piece for many family generations, because it's value to me would be under $1000. No interest at all. We all have those grails. I've given up a few to bidders who paid well beyond what would be deemed rational. As a married man myself, I go after what I can afford and what will not jepordize the kids college of family income in any way. Comman sense. There is a line.

suicide_squeeze
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
You could always cover it in carpet, and tell her it's for the cats?

metsbats
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
You could always cover it in carpet, and tell her it's for the cats?

Then i'll have to get 5 cats:eek:

metsbats
05-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I too shared this post with wife. She has been well aware of my fancy accounting, other deeds I have done thru the years. I use cashier's checks, business addresses, you name it. When the heat is on, you have to adjust if you are a married man.

We all have to use common sense to. In another post, Adam Dunn's error Natinals jersey went for $8500 last night. Absolute lunacy. Buyer has to assure himself it will be a conversation-joke piece for many family generations, because it's value to me would be under $1000. No interest at all. We all have those grails. I've given up a few to bidders who paid well beyond what would be deemed rational. As a married man myself, I go after what I can afford and what will not jepordize the kids college of family income in any way. Comman sense. There is a line.

Thanks Skyking26 & xpress34.

I remember reading an old article in SCD by Mike Montbriand's (his Gone Bats column) regarding the economy and collecting. One piece of advise which I took away from that article and adhere to till this day is never let collecting get into the way of paying rent, mortgage, utilities, kids, and family.

Now I think i'm going to share that $8500 Natinals jersey buy story with my wife now:D

both-teams-played-hard
05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2120/catrack.jpg

AWA85
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2120/catrack.jpg

Haha, great work... :D

metsbats
05-03-2009, 05:08 PM
That's too funny! Where the rug material?

Not showing this to my wife as she may find this more practical.

Funny (and this is true) my one cat was eyeing the bottom compartment last night and I think I'm not going let him into my room anymore. I'd really be upset if I found him lying on top of some bats in one of the compartments:mad:

What is with cats and small enclosed areas?

MLB~NUT
06-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Thays a very cool Pick-Up, I know what yah mean when yah say if that was the last post we read your wife KILLED yah-LMAO!!!!:D