PDA

View Full Version : Will Gary Sheffield make it to the HOF?

spartakid
05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if any one thinks Sheffield will make it to the HOF. I knwo the steriod deal is definitely a strike against him, and the 500 club seems like it's becoming less and less "great" as more players do it. What do you guys think? thanks, Ricardo

suave1477
05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I think in all honesty that is a questioned to be asked after Sheffield retires. Who knows how long his career is going to keep going and how much he will pad on his stats. s of now I say he has a decent shot. Maybe not a first ballot but maybe a second or third time around. I think 500 hr used to be the garunatee mark as you mentioned but now as more players are doing it maybe 550 or 600 will be the mark. Which in case if Sheff lasts another season or 2, he could pull it off.

Mac670
05-02-2009, 03:35 PM
In my opinion he has no shot of getting in. He will always be linked to Bonds and Balco and that will surely hurt him. Just my two cents.

both-teams-played-hard
05-02-2009, 04:34 PM
He'll make the HOF in about 10 years after he retires, when all the kids who watched him play are in their 30s, become sportswriters and have a vote.

*in your best Flava Flav voice:
"so get up and get, get down...the H-O-F is a joke in your town-
H-O-F is a joke..."

sportscentury
05-02-2009, 05:26 PM
In my opinion he has no shot of getting in. He will always be linked to Bonds and Balco and that will surely hurt him. Just my two cents.

Bingo. Not to mention his reputation for being a cancer in every club for which he has played.

xpress34
05-02-2009, 07:16 PM
While I agree that more players have joined the 500 HR club in the past decade, I disagree that the bar will be raised as before this recent run on 500 (and 500 being a 1st ballot marker), 400 HRs was a major mark.

In fact, with two MVPs and how he played the game and such, if Dale Murphy had been able to hit his 400th while finishing his career with the Rockies, he probably would have been given more consideration than he has - and possibly be in the Hall with some of the weaker classes they have had since the early '90s.

Just my .02 on that...

As far as Shef, I think the 'steroids era' and his attitude will be the biggest hurdles to him making the Hall.

- Chris

David
05-02-2009, 10:00 PM
No

ndevlin
05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
The guys on Baseball Tonight think that he is a HOF, some of which have a vote.

Then again, they think Schilling is a HOF'er as well and will be voting for him.

sportscentury
05-03-2009, 10:41 AM
The guys on Baseball Tonight think that he is a HOF, some of which have a vote.

Then again, they think Schilling is a HOF'er as well and will be voting for him.

Seldom do the BT experts say "So and so" is not a hall of famer. They are overly favorable and diplomatic on that show. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Shef makes it. The 500 HR mark does not make a player a lock any longer. Shef brings a lot of baggage with him to the HoF vote.

suicide_squeeze
05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Whether you think Sheff should be voted in or not, it will be particularly interesting to see how he is viewed by the BBWAA.

He had the ability to be a Hall of Fame player, barring steroid aid, hitting 500 homers is still a MONUMENTAL feat in the game.....but this era has seen a bunch of those guys, ans the first major basher to get to the voters (McGwire) has not fared well. But it's early.

The real question with Sheff is: How will his past racial comments and gripes be viewed by the voters? Or, because Gary always throws the race card around, will the voters automatically avoid that issue for politically correct reasons alone? That issue alone makes his "consideration for the Hall" a whole different discussion.....talent-wise, I think he's done enough in his career to squeek in....the other issues mentioned will no doubt keep him out for a few years...

Anyway you look at it, the next 4-6 years are going to be really interesting. I can't wait to see how the voters handle Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. These should turn out to be the two most controversial "votes for the Hall" in the history of the sport. McGwire is still being punished because he just won't come clean. He would most definately be forgiven because he was a tremendous ambassador for the game, and a likeable guy. But people just won't accept his lack of contrision of what we all know. He may blow his chance to get into the Hall if he doesn't change his stance.....come clean Mark, the Hall will follow. If ANYONE will be forgiven, it will be YOU.

Time will heal this "steroid era". It got out of hand, the record books were assaulted, but we all know, and the timeframe in this great game will always be acknowledged and recognized for what it was; A group of chemically morphisized giants who stepped over natural human boundaries to improve their performances on the field.

And unfortunately for Gary Sheffield, he will grouped into that category because of his brief stint of friendship with Barry Bonds, and self admission that he used. Who knows what the real truth is.

David
05-03-2009, 07:13 PM
It's not even a steroids versus no-steroids debate. Sheffield isn't a Hall of Famer if compared only to his steroid-era contemporaries-- Piazza, Frank Thomas, Greiffey, Bonds, Alomar, Clemens. Raphael Palmiero was a superior ball player to Sheffield, in part because Palmiero was a team player and a good fielder.

suave1477
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
And unfortunately for Gary Sheffield, he will grouped into that category because of his brief stint of friendship with Barry Bonds, and self admission that he used. Who knows what the real truth is.

Actually he didnt admit to taking roids because he didn't inject anything into his BUTT lol lol:D

skyking26
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
After watching him in Detroit here; not a chance... The longer he hangs on, it becomes less by the day.

reed1216
05-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I actually think Sheffield has a good shot at the HOF, assuming Clemens, Bonds, or another proven PED user gets in. Throughout his career, Sheff has been one of the games most feared hitters and has put up numbers worthy of the Hall. While his attitude has been questionable, there are a number of HOFers with attitudes that were at least as bad, during their playing days.

As far as the steroid issue goes, once one proven steroid user gets in, it opens the door for everyone else...

suicide_squeeze
05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I actually think Sheffield has a good shot at the HOF, assuming Clemens, Bonds, or another proven PED user gets in. Throughout his career, Sheff has been one of the games most feared hitters and has put up numbers worthy of the Hall. While his attitude has been questionable, there are a number of HOFers with attitudes that were at least as bad, during their playing days.

As far as the steroid issue goes, once one proven steroid user gets in, it opens the door for everyone else...

And that's a big questionmark at this point....

Will it ever happen?

reed1216
05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I think it will happen. If there was a fool-proof way to exclude any and all PED users from the HOF, I think they'd be excluded, but there isn't. I imagine that several PED users who haven't been named will be inducted. Things should get really confusing if someone gets inducted and later on is named as a PED user.

For the sake of argument, let's say Ivan Rodriguez is inducted and later found to have used steroids, HGH, etc. If this happens, it'll be real tough to keep guys like Bonds, Clemens and Sheffield out. I think there are fans and probably writers who are suspicious of everyone from this era. The only fool-proof way to keep all PED users out would be to close the Hall to everybody from this generation and that won't happen.

corsairs22
05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
While his attitude has been questionable, there are a number of HOFers with attitudes that were at least as bad, during their playing days. .

I once heard it reported that he admitted playing badly for the Brewers because he wanted to get traded. I don't know if he said it. Nor do I know if he was just making an excuse for some bad play. But that is a terrible thing to say and a worse thing to do. I can't think of many other players who ever claimed to be screwing up on purpose.

David
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
He said that when he was a Brewer he would make an intentional error if he thought he was previously erroneously scored for an error. Not only is it bad for the team, but its bone-headed for his own sake. Instead of being charged for one error, he makes it so he is charged for two. It's known as cutting off one's nose to spite the face.

flaco1801
05-09-2009, 04:42 PM
if he buys a tickets like the rest of us he will make it .... bet hes never been there

cordovacollector
05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
[quote=reed1216;138706].... I imagine that several PED users who haven't been named will be inducted. Things should get really confusing if someone gets inducted and later on is named as a PED user.[quote]

Personally, I think one is already in there. And a guess is that it will come out only after The List is out and the rest of the discussion gets hot.

cordovacollector
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM
And that's a big questionmark at this point .... Will it ever happen?

.... I imagine that several PED users who haven't been named will be inducted. Things should get really confusing if someone gets inducted and later on is named as a PED user.

Personally, I think one is already in there. And a guess is that it will come out only after The List is out and the rest of the discussion gets hot.

suicide_squeeze
05-10-2009, 11:09 PM

O.K. cordovacollector.........who's your guy?

sportscentury
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
O.K. cordovacollector.........who's your guy?

I'm curious, too.

corsairs22
05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Besides Pud Galvin, who is it? You don't mean the Greatest of All Time, do you?

suicide_squeeze
05-11-2009, 10:06 PM
...............don't be shy cordovacollector, we won't lambaste you for your pick.

Chances are the way things are going, there are most likely more than one already in, and you'd be correct in your hunch.

sportscentury
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't be too quick to bet my money on it. To my knowledge, no Hall of Famer has even been connected to a steroid rumor, never mind actual evidence. Things are bad guys, but let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Cordovacollector, when you provide the name of the HOFer you think used steroids as a player, would you please provide your rationale?

ironmanfan
05-12-2009, 09:17 AM
What "list" are we talking about? The "list" where A-Rod was outed was from testing performed in 2003 and just a tad over 100 players tested positive for PED. What current member of the HOF was active in 2003????

ironmanfan
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
What "list" are we talking about? The "list" where A-Rod was outed was from testing performed in 2003 and just a tad over 100 players tested positive for PED. What current member of the HOF was active in 2003????

Now that I think about it, Cordova's player must be Rickey Henderson

cordovacollector
05-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Think more on terms of total personality change and public anger outbursts. Both signs of steroid use. And size from rookie year & pre-rookie to end of career. And no one has mentioned him yet in this post.

kingjammy24
05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
"Now that I think about it, Cordova's player must be Rickey Henderson"

henderson played with both canseco and mcgwire from 1989-1992. canseco had no problems naming mcgwire, many times over, in copious detail from his oakland years and also palmeiro, gonzalez, and rodriguez from his subsequent texas years. in "juiced", canseco specifically addressed being asked about henderson and said that the only thing he had to say about rickey was that he worked his ass off at the park everyday. if henderson had done it, canseco, of all people, would've known and would've said something at this point.

"Think more on terms of total personality change and public anger outbursts. Both signs of steroid use. And size from rookie year & pre-rookie to end of career. And no one has mentioned him yet in this post."

how about you just save everyone the riddle and say what you meant? besides, puckett was always fat and his stats show no aberrations.

rudy.

eisenreich8
05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Eddie Murray?

eisenreich8
05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Rice?

sportscentury
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Think more on terms of total personality change and public anger outbursts. Both signs of steroid use. And size from rookie year & pre-rookie to end of career. And no one has mentioned him yet in this post.

sportscentury
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
"Think more on terms of total personality change and public anger outbursts. Both signs of steroid use. And size from rookie year & pre-rookie to end of career. And no one has mentioned him yet in this post."

how about you just save everyone the riddle and say what you meant? besides, puckett was always fat and his stats show no aberrations.

rudy.

+1

staindsox
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I would guess Cordova might be referring to Puckett. I'm from Minnesota and it feels like a heresy to even consider the thought, but it wouldn't surprise me either. Ad far as temperment change goes, I think it more closely parallels the tragic end to his career vs. his muscular growth.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2003/0317_mid.jpg
http://www.cardsone.com/store/images/x24.JPG

http://www.itaggit.com/Thumbnails/13048/Images/52432_300x0.jpg

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-52/33-52857-F.jpg

cordovacollector
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Stained, you're right. I've been a Twins' fan since 1961 and spent more hours getting autographs and going to games than almost anyone I know. In the 1990s, I spent a lot of time out back by the players parking lot and comforted a lot of crying teenaged boys because their hero just spent 10 minutes screaming at them for no reason. There's almost nothing more painful than watching a not-still-boy/not-yet-man cry.

I was a collector of Kirby's game used stuff and started getting rid of it in 1994 for that very reason. I decided to pick a kid in the minors to collect, with only 3 cards or so, and stick with him for his career even if he never made it to the bigs ... and to collect only that player to keep the money spent down. (And the 1994 prices were ridiculously low compared to now.) That's how I picked Cordova.

Many of us got to know Twins' insiders and heard enough stories to know it wasn't just a few occassions for Kirby's behavior ... and a lot of lawsuits were covered up. This was years before him having to retire.

And "heresy" is a good description. When those of us who saw Kirby's behavior mentioned it to others, we were nearly run out of the state. So finally we just kept quiet.

I loved Kirby as a player as much as anyone. But there were people in Minnesota that knew his darkside off the field.

kingjammy24
05-12-2009, 05:39 PM
so puckett juiced it based on the fact that he was fat and a jerk?

he ballooned to ungodly proportions after he retired. more 'roids? or maybe the man was like fielder, gwynn, and others who were natural fatasses and had their waistlines kept in line when they were active players? if you want a bigger shocker than puckett, check out photos of tony gwynn around 1982 and compare them to 2001. if he was juiced on anything, it was probably cheesecake. gwynn today is enormous and i don't think it's steroids. kirby didn't get more muscular ala bonds, sosa, canseco, mcgwire. he just got fatter.

as for jerks, professional sports in general is no short supply. kevin mitchell, eric davis, kirk gibson, dwight evans, ad nauseum.

take a look at puckett's stats; if he was juicing, it apparently wasn't having any effect on his actual play.

rudy.

staindsox
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
As far as Puck's weight goes, he was chiseled when he played. I always thought he was chubby until I saw that 1991 Score card when it first came out. I heard him in an interview once when he said he had thought about a career in body building if baseball didn't work out. Those who followed his post-career exploits know he went into serious depression his after the pre-mature retirement. That weight gain wasn't roids...just lots of food. He progressively got fatter and fatter.

http://woolis.com/images/Fanfest2005/05fanfest001Puckett&Lantz.jpg

ironmanfan
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
ok, I missed it, what "list" is Puckett going to show up on?

totally irresponsible, uninformed, thoughtless comments IMO

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 12:00 AM
ok, I missed it, what "list" is Puckett going to show up on?

totally irresponsible, uninformed, thoughtless comments IMO

Agreed.