PDA

View Full Version : Mets Lockers

skyking26
05-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Received a nice email yesterday from a member here telling me about a current Mets auction Dave Kingman locker. HUGE locker. I live in MI, I can just image the shipping on this thing. Buddy had an experience on same item months ago where he was going to buy it; and the Mets wanted to charge him 100's in shiping to drive 35 miles.

Seems to be more trouble than worth...unless you can pick it up. That eliminates 49 states most likely. These things are huge...can just imagine getting them in your house with reassembly, etc...

Wow.

ndevlin
05-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey, did you consider going after that Kingman bat Mears had on auction? I thought it went a little high for that timeframe.

skyking26
05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Did not see it Nate - what time frame? I may have had it anyways... LMK

ndevlin
05-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh Im sure you have it, or did at one time. It wasnt anything special. I just thought almost $400 for a 77-79 model was a bit much.

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=2473

skyking26
05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Yea Nate, nothing special. Any Kong bat gets my attention anyway... $400, somebody had alot of money to throw away that day. Auctions always create that "I have to have it and nobody else" theme. I've been victim to that all to often :D .

I will say this, Dave's bats are becoming less and less seen. In my opinion, HOF or not, regardless of BA etc, he could win games for a club and was a lethal DH. Game used stuff has jumped in values over years. Would I pay $400 for this bat....nope.

I'm so glad that I started my collection 30 years ago. People are nuts what they pay for today's players who have not established themselves. Look at Arod stuff...I think you'll see values plummet. All stuff I am reading about his failure to work with kids, what a tool. That makes collecting guys like Kingman (whom I've known for 17 years) all the more sweet. Played in my childhood era and has always been great with my wife and kids...

BarryMeisel
05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
SkyKing,
It is not the Mets auctioning the Kingman locker, it is MeiGray vis Mets Auctions. We have been selling and auctioning Shea Memorabilia since September.

I'm not sure what information you referenced in your previous post, but I would be happy to help you determine what the shipping charges will be if you win the auction ... before the auction ends.

We use YRC Express trucking, and we have a customer account with them that provides discounts from their retail pricing.

Feel free to contact me at MeiGray, 888-463-4472, for more info.

Thanks, Barry Meisel, MeiGray

skyking26
05-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Left a detailed message on your voicemail Barry. I can only imagine that shipping would be horrendous to MI... Other issue is disassemble/reassemble to get in my basement. Another friend here in MI (Kingman fan) has a walkout basement, so this might be more up his alley than mine...

LMK - RK

BarryMeisel
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
SkyKing,

Got your message, left you one. Let's connect to discuss possibilities.

Thanks, Barry

skyking26
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey Barry:

I just checked the auction. See you have a bidder. I'm not interested above what it will now go for with another bidder involved. Appreciate the call though!

RK

momen55
05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
pretty pricy stuff! 5k for a phone is too much for me!:eek:

skinsfan0521
05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey Barry:

I just checked the auction. See you have a bidder. I'm not interested above what it will now go for with another bidder involved. Appreciate the call though!

RK
skyking26 - I believe that MeiGray can just sell you anything that they have listed in that spreadsheet on their website w/o having to go through the Mets auction. I'm not 100% on that, but that's the impression that I got. If you check out that spreadsheet they have a lot of those lockers w/dimensions and prices.

Hope that helps

-Brian

skyking26
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
skyking26 - I believe that MeiGray can just sell you anything that they have listed in that spreadsheet on their website w/o having to go through the Mets auction. I'm not 100% on that, but that's the impression that I got. If you check out that spreadsheet they have a lot of those lockers w/dimensions and prices.

Hope that helps

-Brian
Thanks Brian. I think I'll pass on it. The lockers are huge, cumbersome, and would require disassemblance to get in my home...not to mention huge expense to get here. More work than I need at this time. Plus, I see a bidder, which puts it out beyond what I want to spend. Such an item is best served to a guy in NY/NJ that can pick it up themselves...

yankees159
06-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I just recieved the Dave Kingman locker and can say it met my expectations. Since Barry from Meigrey often uses this forum to promote his business, I thought this would be a great place to ask him the following question:

1. How did you determine this locker was once used by Dave Kingman?
2. Since Kingman had two stints with the Mets did he use the same locker during both tours of duty?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Todd

Kong's Landing
06-17-2009, 10:36 PM
:D
Todd, glad to hear you got that Kingman locker. Does it look better in person?
Shoot me a photo when you have time.

Erik "32 years of Kongdom" Bakalar
nonsportwax@sbcglobal.net or ebakalar2003@yahoo.com

skyking26
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice pickup; need the right situation. I have no way of getting it in my basement; so it went to the right home. ;)

RK

BarryMeisel
06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the kind words.

We determined who used which Shea lockers by interviewing players from the 60s, 70s and 80s (some interviewed in the locker room itself), interviewing long time Mets equipment manager Charlie Samuels, interviewing visiting and home locker room staffers, and interviewing sportswriters from the 60s-present.

We took that information, and also compared it to photos and video in which lockers with nameplates were visible. That's how we were able to conclusively determine who used which lockers.

Where we were not able to conclusively determine, we did not list that player in that locker. We were not able to prove which locker Kingman used during his second stint, so we only identified his first locker, the one he used in the '70s.

Hope this explains,
Barry