PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Sosa All-Star jersey

kingjammy24
05-02-2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=405&lot=937

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2954/fiveh.jpg

lelands jersey: pinstripe runs through the buttons. pinstripe runs through the middle of the majestic logo.

game photo: pinstripe does not run though the buttons. pinstripe does not
run through the majestic logo.

over $3k.

rudy.

trsent
05-02-2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=405&lot=937

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2954/fiveh.jpg

lelands jersey: pinstripe runs through the buttons. pinstripe runs through the middle of the majestic logo.

game photo: pinstripe does not run though the buttons. pinstripe does not
run through the majestic logo.

over $3k.

rudy.

It only took you 59 months to find this issue?

cordovacollector
05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Rudy,

Despite other comments, I DO appreciate this information even if it is from an older auction. It gives us all a good heads up because you know sometime it will reapear somewhere and this keeps it on our radar. Thanks for the information that could easily have slipped buy.

spartakid
05-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Any knowledge is good knowledge, and unless I missed something, your response was rude Joel.

whatupyos
05-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Rudy-

Thanks for the info. I appreciate this since we can look out for crap on the market. Its sad how other members opinions of you and their hatred of you allow them to try and bait you into a responce. Your contribution to this site is far better than the haters that call you and others out.

Aaron

aeneas01
05-03-2009, 02:00 AM
It only took you 59 months to find this issue?

hey joel,

3. No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

7. No Trolling or Baiting. You will not post any topic that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Please do not create meaningless threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. This includes messages in profiles and signatures.

12. No Topic Changing. Please do not derail threads because you do not agree with their content. If you do not like what you read, find or start a different thread.

anyway joel, great contribution to the thread. back to the topic at hand, nice work rudy. here's an additional look - as with your pics, the numbers don't match up either...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/ss2.jpg

metsbats
05-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Some poor collector has what they think is THE 2002 all star game jersey that Sosa wore. Even after the fact this is great to know. Maybe the collector who won the item can go back to Lelands for restitution. It's never too late in my opinion especially with the overwhelming photo evidence.

Nice work Rudy once again. Keep-em coming!

However just to play devils advocate, what are the chances Sosa pulled a Palmeiro and wore more than one jersey during the game? Going to the DVD of the 2002 all star game would give definitive proof.

trsent
05-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I am sorry - I was just wondering why it took 59 months for this to be discovered. Some people look for trouble, others just ask questions and get hell because people are so jealous.

And to the Helmet guy quoting forum rules, please block my posts if you don't wish to read them.

I was just wondering, since it has been 59 months, what kept Rudy from posting his findings before then. Did he contact the auction house with his findings so they may contact the high bidder? I didn't ask, I was more concerned what took 59 months to uncover this findings and I get hell for no reason?

God, some people have nothing better to do than insult and then cry wolf.

Then again, did anyone contact Sammy Sosa to see if he wore more than one jersey that day? Did anyone watch the full video of the game to check every appearance to see if there was the same jersey worn? I didn't ask these questions because I was confused why it took 59 months for this jersey to be discovered.

Did someone commission Rudy to investigate this jersey, or is Rudy just looking through every old auction listings looking for items of issue? I have no problem finding concerns - I have a concern what took 59 months and I get hell for no reason by the usual suspects.

As for the Helmet Guy's idiotic comments - BLOCK MY POSTS.

I asked a reasonable question - Your posting of forum rules is really classless and out of line - Get real already. God - Same crap, just today it comes on Sunday - The day we worship the higher powers of the petty world.

My question still has not been answered. What took 59 months to discover these concerns? It was not baiting, taunting or anything negative - I just wondered when the item was auctioned off, why wasn't the question raised then? Is there more to this story we do not know that it took 59 months to bring up?

Chill, go prey, just get off my back for asking a genuine question.

kingjammy24
05-03-2009, 11:05 AM
However just to play devils advocate, what are the chances Sosa pulled a Palmeiro and wore more than one jersey during the game? Going to the DVD of the 2002 all star game would give definitive proof.

hey david

in general, i don't really see jersey-changing to be likely during an all-star game when most players only play 1 or 2 innings. although, in the 2008 all-star game, photos show arod wearing 2 different shirts: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18215
(of course, this is a guy who markets every little thing he can, including his jock strap).

anyway, this particular sosa jersey is pretty conclusive as the photo i posted shows shows sosa in the second inning and the photo robert posted shows sosa in the third inning. sosa only had 2 ABs; bottom of the 2nd and bottom of the 3rd. that's it. in the top of the 4th, shawn green replaced sosa.

rudy.

aeneas01
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I am sorry - I was just wondering why it took 59 months for this to be discovered.

wow, i didn't realize bunk items were protected by a statute of limitations, that after x amount of months of flying under the radar they became shielded by the joel albert clause. but of course i'm sure you're right joel, no collector could possibly be interested in bunk items sold in the past...

Some people look for trouble, others just ask questions and get hell because people are so jealous.

i'm certain this must make sense when read in it's native tongue... might want to check alternatives to babelfish...

And to the Helmet guy quoting forum rules, please block my posts if you don't wish to read them.

why would i block your posts joel? i love the the comic relief you bring to the table, a nice break from all of the grown up talk that tends to dominate. kind of like taking a break from the brandy, cigars and political debate to stretch the legs and check in on the ladies...

I was just wondering, since it has been 59 months, what kept Rudy from posting his findings before then. Did he contact the auction house with his findings so they may contact the high bidder?

did you contact rudy with these questions before you posted?

I didn't ask, I was more concerned what took 59 months to uncover this findings and I get hell for no reason? God, some people have nothing better to do than insult and then cry wolf.

again, the language barrier thing, sorry...

Then again, did anyone contact Sammy Sosa to see if he wore more than one jersey that day? Did anyone watch the full video of the game to check every appearance to see if there was the same jersey worn? I didn't ask these questions because I was confused why it took 59 months for this jersey to be discovered.

again, did you email rudy with these questions before posting?

Did someone commission Rudy to investigate this jersey, or is Rudy just looking through every old auction listings looking for items of issue? I have no problem finding concerns - I have a concern what took 59 months and I get hell for no reason by the usual suspects.

i'll venture a guess and say that no one commissioned rudy to look at past items - and i'll venture another guess and say that most forum members appreciate his work and contributions. while i know a comprehensive databaae featuring every questionable game used item sold at auction in the past might be objectionable to you, tough for you to wrap your head around, i'm sure most here would love such a research tool. but until that time rolls around, i for one am thankful that we have members such as rudy willing to spot check these things...

As for the Helmet Guy's idiotic comments - BLOCK MY POSTS.

what's next? are you going to request that i stop watching reruns of seinfeld? joel, i need my comic relief!!

I asked a reasonable question - Your posting of forum rules is really classless and out of line...

you mean this post?

hey joel,

3. No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

7. No Trolling or Baiting. You will not post any topic that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Please do not create meaningless threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. This includes messages in profiles and signatures.

12. No Topic Changing. Please do not derail threads because you do not agree with their content. If you do not like what you read, find or start a different thread.

fwiw i didn't post "forum rules" - i just posted the ones that apply to you my friend...

Chill, go prey, just get off my back for asking a genuine question.

joel, i "prey" you never change! :) and for those of you that have emailed in the past begging me to join your ranks, to ignore joel in the hope he will fade into obscurity, i "prey" you will forgive me - it was a rainy weekend, i was weak, what can i say?

metsbats
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
hey david

in general, i don't really see jersey-changing to be likely during an all-star game when most players only play 1 or 2 innings. although, in the 2008 all-star game, photos show arod wearing 2 different shirts: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18215
(of course, this is a guy who markets every little thing he can, including his jock strap).

anyway, this particular sosa jersey is pretty conclusive as the photo i posted shows shows sosa in the second inning and the photo robert posted shows sosa in the third inning. sosa only had 2 ABs; bottom of the 2nd and bottom of the 3rd. that's it. in the top of the 4th, shawn green replaced sosa.

rudy.
Rudy,

I agree the evidence is overwhelming and the jersey is not THE jersey. I also agree the chance that Sosa did a Palmeiro or Arod wardrobe change
is nil.

whatupyos
05-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I asked a reasonable question - Your posting of forum rules is really classless and out of line

Now I have a simple question of my own. Doesn't this guy repeatedly quote forum rules to everyone else on here? But should it apply to him, then its all forgotten and or shouldn't apply to him? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black. Poor guy is always picked on. Yet he does nothing to stop the picking. He bullies and tries to bait others on here in my humble little opinion. But what do I know. Just my thoughts to a simple observation. I don't care if its been 100 years since the jersey was offered. Rudy found a flaw. I guess if you find a murder weapon with fingerprints leading to the murderer, you should ask the murderer if he really did murder the person, or was he uninformed that his prints are all over the weapon.

Aaron

aeneas01
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Some poor collector has what they think is THE 2002 all star game jersey that Sosa wore. Even after the fact this is great to know. Maybe the collector who won the item can go back to Lelands for restitution. It's never too late in my opinion especially with the overwhelming photo evidence.

last year i posted about several bunk football helmets sold through mastro with mears letters - i found the helmets in mastro's archives, from a 2005 auction (the auction was over 40 months old in joel parlance). after my post i was contacted by both mears and mastro, telling me they intended to get to the bottom of it (as it turned out mastro incorrectly claimed that the helmets were authenticated by mears when they weren't, the helmets were shipped without mears letters). at least a couple of the buyers were tracked down and given refunds as a result.

although i was happy that those responsible for the mess righted a wrong and even happier that at least a couple of collectors got their money back on those bunk helmets, i felt no obligation to mastro or mears when i posted this information, only an obligation to fellow collectors, to forum members. i think any of one of us could spend the better part of our work week auditing auction houses and authentication services but, honestly, should that be our responsibility? i don't think so - i think auction houses and authentication services should be resposnsible for their own houses. and prepared to be called to task when not their houses aren't in order.

hblakewolf
05-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Now I have a simple question of my own. Doesn't this guy repeatedly quote forum rules to everyone else on here? But should it apply to him, then its all forgotten and or shouldn't apply to him? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black. Poor guy is always picked on. Yet he does nothing to stop the picking. He bullies and tries to bait others on here in my humble little opinion. But what do I know. Just my thoughts to a simple observation. I don't care if its been 100 years since the jersey was offered. Rudy found a flaw. I guess if you find a murder weapon with fingerprints leading to the murderer, you should ask the murderer if he really did murder the person, or was he uninformed that his prints are all over the weapon.

Aaron

Aaron-
Reminds me quite a bit of a similar situation I encountered while taking our new puppy to obedience school. While mingling with the other puppies, a dopy old wiener dog who appeared mild mannered would just act up and attack the other dogs in the room for no apparent reason. The trainer of our class had to spray this ill tempered mutt with a spray bottle in order for it to stop attacking and take its place in the room.

After class, I questioned the trainer about this type of odd behavior, and he said 99% of the time, a dog acts up like this as a result of boredom and lack of attention from others. When it’s introduced to a group setting, it simply does not know how to act with others. Basically, a social misfit.

After several weeks of this wiener dog misbehaving, the trainer eventually kicked the owner and the mutt out of the class and harmony was quickly restored.

Possibly a valuable lesson can be learned from this experience that can be translated to this Forum.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Vintagedeputy
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
ok, I'm undecided....

At first, I thought that aeneas' post was the Post of the Week. It made me chuckle out loud.

wow, i didn't realize bunk items were protected by a statute of limitations, that after x amount of months of flying under the radar they became shielded by the joel albert clause. but of course i'm sure you're right joel, no collector could possibly be interested in bunk items sold in the past...

i'm certain this must make sense when read in it's native tongue... might want to check alternatives to babelfish...

why would i block your posts joel? i love the the comic relief you bring to the table, a nice break from all of the grown up talk that tends to dominate. kind of like taking a break from the brandy, cigars and political debate to stretch the legs and check in on the ladies...

But then I read Howard's "weiner dog" post, and the anecdotal style has me unsure as to which post made me laugh more. They were both completely enjoyable!

Decisions, decisions.......

Aaron-
Reminds me quite a bit of a similar situation I encountered while taking our new puppy to obedience school. While mingling with the other puppies, a dopy old wiener dog who appeared mild mannered would just act up and attack the other dogs in the room for no apparent reason. The trainer of our class had to spray this ill tempered mutt with a spray bottle in order for it to stop attacking and take its place in the room.

After class, I questioned the trainer about this type of odd behavior, and he said 99% of the time, a dog acts up like this as a result of boredom and lack of attention from others. When it’s introduced to a group setting, it simply does not know how to act with others. Basically, a social misfit.

After several weeks of this wiener dog misbehaving, the trainer eventually kicked the owner and the mutt out of the class and harmony was quickly restored.

Possibly a valuable lesson can be learned from this experience that can be translated to this Forum.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Thank you gentlemen, for bringing a smile to my face today!

sammy
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
This is a very difficult decision between the two, as these are both excellent, dead on descriptive posts with very good humor.

Some people just don't realize what hypocrites they are.

whatupyos
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Enjoy the humor while it lasts. I'm sure someone and or some people are crying to the mods right now about how they are picked on, yet they're the ones constantly belittling members for doing their best to educate others and bring about fakes in this business. Just like I said, its all fine and dandy when they quote forum rules, yet someone gives them a taste of their own medicine and somehow, thats "classless". Very ironic, don't you think. My new question is why doesn't that individual become a moderator. They certainly enjoy playing "moderator" when there are actual moderators on here. Its like he thinks he's the captain of the neighborhood GUF watch program. Here to enforce the rules in which we already have people to enforce. Certainly has a lot of time on his hands. Might as well contact Chris or someone to sign up officially as a moderator.

Aaron