I picked up 12 Game Used Minor League Baseall uniforms, asking for advice/info

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KrAzY3
    • May 2009

I picked up 12 Game Used Minor League Baseall uniforms, asking for advice/info

I came across a startling discovery yesterday. In a thrift store I discovered 12 autographed, game used jerseys from the Mobile Bay Bears (double AA MLB affiliate). They were from 1997-2007 and with one exception (Jake Peavy road jersey) they were special alternates (throw backs, pink jerseys, that type of stuff). All of the rest (except for a coach and another Peavy) were career minor leaguers. I didn't think to look for pants but I doubt they were there, I'll make a point of checking that next time I'm there.

I learned to search for jerseys at thrift stores when I discovered a Senior Bowl AJ Hawk practice jersey (not used at all to my knowledge since he never actually played in the game, I was a moron and left two old heavily used practice uniforms with no names). Since then I've been keeping a eye out and I previously found a autographed baseball (or softball) jersey of Fernando Bryant (NFL player) from a charity game.

Another interesting side story is that I worked for the Mobile Bay Bears in 1997 as a bat boy and I could identify one style jersey from the year I was there (not a player I was friends with but still cool). One regret I've had is not finding a way to keep my #1 home jersey from the inaugural season. I was able to wear it after the player who had it was traded and I probably should have just worn it home after the last game. Ironically the only memorabilia I managed to keep was a autographed baseball from a player who never fully recovered from injury (Terrell Wade) and a few signed cards. I probably had the entire team sign a ball or a picture 100 times (for charity or the like) but I thought it was unprofessional to ask for stuff personally.

Anyway, now that I have these I have no real idea what to do with them. Do I frame them? How do I store them? Should I look into trading some for other jerseys or something (since I have three of three different styles)? None of these have COAs but they are all obviously authentic. Should I try to contact the Bay Bears for more information?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really excited about my finds and not really sure what I have on my hands.
  • xpress34
    • Sep 2008

Re: I picked up 12 Game Used Minor League Baseall uniforms, asking for advice/info

I'd love to see pics of the Peavy's... a guy I chase auto's with here in Denver has a daughter who is IN LOVE w/ Jake... she actually makes him Birthday cards every year and he has given her hats, jerseys, etc - but I'm sure one of these would be extra special - if you are ever thinking of getting rid of one...

All the best -

Chris

Comment

• godwulf
      • Aug 2007

Re: I picked up 12 Game Used Minor League Baseall uniforms, asking for advice/info

Congatulations on living one of a game-used collector's favorite daydreams!

Please contact me before selling or auctioning any of the 2007 jerseys, as I can just about guarantee you that I will give you a better offer than anyone else, obsessed Diamondbacks fan that I am.

godwulf1@cox.net

Jeff
      Jeff
      godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• buckeyegamers
        • Nov 2005

If you ever consider parting with the AJ Hawk please let me know. My screen name says it all

Comment

• KrAzY3
          • May 2009

Originally posted by xpress34
          I'd love to see pics of the Peavy's... a guy I chase auto's with here in Denver has a daughter who is IN LOVE w/ Jake... if you are ever thinking of getting rid of one...
          I probably want to keep one for myself, but I've been a long time collector of cards (not the best stuff since for years it was just stuff I pulled from crappy early 90s packs) and I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to collect jersey's or not. You will be the first one I contact about the Peavy's if I do decide to get rid of one but I want to do more homework before I do anything.

I will take picks of all of them though and post them here though. I appreciate the interest.

Originally posted by godwulf
          Congatulations on living one of a game-used collector's favorite daydreams!

Please contact me before selling or auctioning any of the 2007 jerseys
          Thanks, I was waiting on my wife (she spotted some as well) carrying the jersey's around looking like a kid on Christmas. I still want to take a little time to try to educate myself but if I decide to part with them I'll look you up.

Originally posted by buckeyegamers
          If you ever consider parting with the AJ Hawk please let me know. My screen name says it all
          The people who posted in this thread will get first shot if I do decide to part with any of these. I'll also post a picture of it later.

Comment

• cordovacollector
            • Mar 2009

Great find! And a good reminder that I need to start visiting a few places again that I had long forgotten! Add me to your list of interested buyers.

Comment

• KrAzY3
              • May 2009

If anyone notices any errors in the details I provided or has any advice or information it would be appreciated. The pictures are not the best, if anyone is interested I can post close-ups of the autographs as well (all except the Hawk are autographed). Anyway, here they are:

Jim Bowie #33 BayBears Wave Alternate 1997: Front - Back
              From what I recall the Wave jersey was a alternate home jersey.

Rick Prieto #7 BayBears Wave Alternate 1998?: Front - Back
              It could be a 1999 but not sure if how long they used these alternates.

Ethan Faggett #24 BayBears Wave Alternate 1998?: Front - Back
              It could be as late as 2000.

John Powers #4 Baybears Parrot 1998?: Front - Back
              It could be 2000 or 2001 as well but they did some Parrothead stuff when I was there.

Jake Peavy #22 BayBears Road Uniform 2001?: Front - Back
              I'm almost positive it is 2001 because I can barely see what used to be a 6 on the back.

Jake Peavy #44 Baybears Breast Cancer Awareness 2004?: Front - Back
              I think this is from his rehab assignment because he had to change his number to #44.

Ryan Meaux #29 Baybears Breast Cancer Awareness 2006: Front - Back
              Only one of the three that's a player.

Arnie Beyeler #23 BayBears Breast Cancer Awareness 2006: Front - Back
              Hitting Coach

Glenn Abbott #35 BayBears Breast Cancer Awareness 2006: Front - Back
              Pitching Coach and former MLB pitcher

Javier Brito #36 Baybears Oyster Grabbers Alternate 2007: Front - Back
              The Oyster Grabbers were a team that played in Mobile in 1903

Wilkin Castillo #11 Baybears Oyster Grabbers Alternate 2007: Front - Back
              They were auctioned off online as a local radio station sponsored event.

Ronnie Merrill #7 Baybears Oyster Grabbers Alternate 2007: Front - Back
              I got a lot of autograph requests when I was a batboy. I tried to make my autograph unidentifiable.

Fernando Bryant #25 Charity Jersey: Front - Back
              This was from a different thrift store. Haven't found out more info.

AJ Hawk #47 Senior Bowl Practice Jersey 2006: Front - Back
              As far as I know he never wore it. I also don't think they ever made his actual Senior Bowl Jersey. I've never as much as seen a picture of the practice jerseys, only was able to find video of other players wearing theirs.

Comment

• Rob L
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by KrAzY3
                If anyone notices any errors in the details I provided or has any advice or information it would be appreciated. The pictures are not the best, if anyone is interested I can post close-ups of the autographs as well (all except the Hawk are autographed). Anyway, here they are:

Jim Bowie #33 BayBears Wave Alternate 1997: Front - Back
                From what I recall the Wave jersey was a alternate home jersey.

Rick Prieto #7 BayBears Wave Alternate 1998?: Front - Back
                It could be a 1999 but not sure if how long they used these alternates.

Ethan Faggett #24 BayBears Wave Alternate 1998?: Front - Back
                It could be as late as 2000.

John Powers #4 Baybears Parrot 1998?: Front - Back
                It could be 2000 or 2001 as well but they did some Parrothead stuff when I was there.

Jake Peavy #22 BayBears Road Uniform 2001?: Front - Back
                I'm almost positive it is 2001 because I can barely see what used to be a 6 on the back.

Jake Peavy #44 Baybears Breast Cancer Awareness 2004?: Front - Back
                I think this is from his rehab assignment because he had to change his number to #44.

Ryan Meaux #29 Baybears Breast Cancer Awareness 2006: Front - Back
                Only one of the three that's a player.

Arnie Beyeler #23 BayBears Breast Cancer Awareness 2006: Front - Back
                Hitting Coach

Glenn Abbott #35 BayBears Breast Cancer Awareness 2006: Front - Back
                Pitching Coach and former MLB pitcher

Javier Brito #36 Baybears Oyster Grabbers Alternate 2007: Front - Back
                The Oyster Grabbers were a team that played in Mobile in 1903

Wilkin Castillo #11 Baybears Oyster Grabbers Alternate 2007: Front - Back
                They were auctioned off online as a local radio station sponsored event.

Ronnie Merrill #7 Baybears Oyster Grabbers Alternate 2007: Front - Back
                I got a lot of autograph requests when I was a batboy. I tried to make my autograph unidentifiable.

Fernando Bryant #25 Charity Jersey: Front - Back
                This was from a different thrift store. Haven't found out more info.

AJ Hawk #47 Senior Bowl Practice Jersey 2006: Front - Back
                As far as I know he never wore it. I also don't think they ever made his actual Senior Bowl Jersey. I've never as much as seen a picture of the practice jerseys, only was able to find video of other players wearing theirs.
                Nice collection. That's quite a find!!!
                Rob L
                loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• simsmeboy
                  • Jul 2013

By any chance do you still have these jerseys?

Comment

Working...