PDA

View Full Version : I have an odd question....

justinlm24
05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Ok, so my 12 year old son is starting his little league season this year in about 2 weeks. They are allowing the use of wood bats this year and he found a game used bat on e-bay of one of his fave players. (frank Thomas) so I bought it for him rather cheaply and surprised him with it yesterday. He was so excited when I told him he could use it in his games this year. He swings it quite well, however at practice today the coach told me he wouldn't be able to use it with the pine tar still on it. I have tried everything to get it off but am having absolutely no luck. What is the best way to remove the tar without ruining the black finish on the bat? It's a pretty thick coat. Any ideas would be helpful......

spartakid
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Are you serious???? How big is the bat anyway, Frank is a big guy, it seems like his bat would be far too heavy for a 12 year old.I would reccomend going to big 5 or something and getting a $20 wood bat there. Ricardo

justinlm24
05-03-2009, 11:57 PM
No my son is a big boy. He swings the bat fine. He has another bat which he will also use. I am only doing this because he got so excited. I told him a couple games only. So any ideas anyone??

Rob L
05-04-2009, 12:10 AM
No my son is a big boy. He swings the bat fine. He has another bat which he will also use. I am only doing this because he got so excited. I told him a couple games only. So any ideas anyone??

Wow. I'm not sure what Little League your son is playing in but that is completely against Little League rules. The lastest requirements for bats, started this year, is that the bat must have the bat performance factor (BPF) shown on the bat and it must be 1.15. I don't believe any of the wood bats can meet that BPF.

suave1477
05-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Ok, so my 12 year old son is starting his little league season this year in about 2 weeks. They are allowing the use of wood bats this year and he found a game used bat on e-bay of one of his fave players. (frank Thomas) so I bought it for him rather cheaply and surprised him with it yesterday. He was so excited when I told him he could use it in his games this year. He swings it quite well, however at practice today the coach told me he wouldn't be able to use it with the pine tar still on it. I have tried everything to get it off but am having absolutely no luck. What is the best way to remove the tar without ruining the black finish on the bat? It's a pretty thick coat. Any ideas would be helpful......

Maybe before asking that question you should search for a thread about how people feel about using or wearing game used items.

So with that said.

I must say before i would even think to answer your question. I am dissapointed that you would ruin a game used item.:(

both-teams-played-hard
05-04-2009, 01:44 AM
I think it's cool when any father does something, that makes his son happy. He may psych himself out, and concentrate on not breaking the bat. One day, there may be a Natural Wonderboy scenario.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6691/wonderboys.jpg

trsent
05-04-2009, 06:37 AM
I agree - Who cares what you do with your Frank Thomas game used bat once it is your bat. If it makes your son happy, it then makes you happy and if he can learn Big Hurt's early skill of taking pitches the bat will work just great for you.

Now, if you were cutting up the bat into thousands of pieces and putting it on trading cards, that is different than having your son play baseball with the bat to learn the game.

Some people should save their criticism for situations that need it and not to ruin a fun experience for a son and father that many of us will never be able to feel such a sensation. If you get the bat to usable standards, please post in action photos for us all to admire!

TriplexXxSports
05-04-2009, 06:47 AM
I would give Goo Gone a shot. This is good stuff for anything sticky and it won't ruin the black finish.

Another alternative is GOOF OFF, but I think that may be a tad too harsh. That stuff is meant to take off 'anything.'

Good luck to you and your son. I would have practiced with a Pele ball as a kid if my dad picked one up for me....:eek:

Vintagedeputy
05-04-2009, 08:17 AM
I know we're had this argument before but I am not a big fan of using a game used item....totally against it.

With that said, I second Goo Gone. That stuff works great.

justinlm24
05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe before asking that question you should search for a thread about how people feel about using or wearing game used items.

So with that said.

I must say before i would even think to answer your question. I am dissapointed that you would ruin a game used item.:(

Well first off I only paid 75 for this bat, so I question its authenticity to start with. There is very little use shown, and just a bunch of tar on the centerbrand area. But thank you to everyone else who did offer some help. I will certainly give it a shot. And if so I will post some pics for all to see.....

karamaxjoe
05-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm just curious what the height and weight of your son is? I'm not a big guy by any means and I wouldn't like using Frank's bat. I'm pretty sure my 12 year old son wouldn't like it either.

Either way it's great to hear your son will have the chance to try out a bat from Big Frank.