Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justinlm24
    • Mar 2006

Polyurethane finish on LVS....

I have a lead on a pujols game used bat. Bat looks great, and would make a solid addition to my collection. Seller informed me of it's polyurethane finish which Pujols only ordered once. Which if true would make this a truly rare piece. I was just never aware of the polyurethane finish on any gamers. Can anyone offer any insight on this for me?? Here are a couple pics to check out.
    Attached Files
  • BMH
    • Jul 2007

Re: Polyurethane finish on LVS....

That was our UV finish, it's a type of Urethane finish, but as you can see it had issues.
    Brian Hillerich

Comment

• Birdbats
      • Nov 2005

Here's what I can tell you about this bat. First, refer to this thread about the Smith finish and the cracking the resulted -- BMH's posts (#14, 16 and 19) explain the process and the problems: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ghlight=finish

Pujols' records show one order of bats with a SMITHG finish. Not sure what the G at the end means -- I always assumed Galen or Gwynn. Whatever the case, it's the only order of Pujols bats that mentions the SMITH finish in any form. That order for 12 bats was shipped 3/9/04. They're I13L models, no cup, ash, 34" long and 32 ounces. If the bat in question matches these specs, it could be from that particular order.

Whether Pujols actually used the bat in a game is an entirely different issue...
      Jeff Scott
      birdbats@charter.net
      http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• justinlm24
        • Mar 2006

Jeff,

Yes it is the exact specs and is the I13L. I have tried getty images to try and find a match with no luck. I guess there really is no way to know 100% if this bat was ever game used. Hmmmm....tough one.

Comment

• justinlm24
          • Mar 2006

One other piece of info is it coes with a grey flannel COA from Keith Vari from lelands as well as a gameusedbat.com COA. I have asked the seller to send me a couple scans of these to check them out. I'll post them if he comes through.

Comment

• BMH
            • Jul 2007

The code we use for this finish is 2ENAT, the problem is all his orders for it were from 2005. I'm pretty sure we already shut the line down by then.
            Brian Hillerich

Comment

• justinlm24
              • Mar 2006

seems there are too many questions, than answers to spend the money on this bat. Guess my search for a pujols continues.......blah!!!!

Comment

• wahboom22
                • Aug 2006

BMH,

How long was that finish avaiable? I have 3 Jason Giambi G174's with the cracked finish and would like to determine when they were used.

Thank you
                Wade

wahboom22@aol.com

Comment

• justinlm24
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BMH
                  That was our UV finish, it's a type of Urethane finish, but as you can see it had issues.
                  The seller has come through with the COA's. Here they are. He has also told me he may have photomatched this and sent me a couple images. Kyle, he mentioned your name specifically about trying to photomatch it. Now what does everyone think?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• BMH
                    • Jul 2007

I'm not saying it was never put on the bat. We used that coating for 3yrs. before production issues forced us to stop. Now in my records I have none for him getting the UV finish in 2003, all were no finish. BUT!!! That doesn't mean our head rep who is a friend of Pujol's didn't have them coated with them to try and make them "harder".

Giambi always ordered that finish, he is the last person we put the finish on before we shut down the line. In fact, my Giambi bat has the UV finish on it as well.
                    Brian Hillerich

Comment

• justinlm24
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BMH
                      I'm not saying it was never put on the bat. We used that coating for 3yrs. before production issues forced us to stop. Now in my records I have none for him getting the UV finish in 2003, all were no finish. BUT!!! That doesn't mean our head rep who is a friend of Pujol's didn't have them coated with them to try and make them "harder".
                      BMH, but the bat itself does match shipping records? If you had to put your opinion on this bat, what would you think? I personally love the bat, and the UV finish makes it very unique. Seller has said he may have it photomatched, which if true and I am able to have it matched, would make this a truly unique piece don't you think??

Comment

• Birdbats
                        • Nov 2005

Justin, the LOAs raise more questions than they answer. Forget the finish for a moment and look at other characteristics. One letter says it's 34.25" and 32.6 ounces. It's pretty rare to find a 34" cupped bat that measures more than 34". I've found if an actual measurement is 34.25", then the record likely would show the bat being 34.5" (bats lose a slight bit of length when they're cupped). I don't see any orders for I13LC bats that length until 2/25/05. And the weight is troublesome. You'd assume the recorded weight should be 32.5 ounces. The only bats Albert received that heavy were unfinished or Galen/wine. Albert prefers bats in the 31-32 range (31.5 is typical), so it would be surprising for him to use a bat that heavy (he's very picky). Finally, both letters refer to the bat as a 2003 model and the one letter says it matches factory records for that period. The I13L cupped bats I see in 2003 are all 34", all unfinished, and none are heaver than 32 ounces. Not a match. The only natural finished bats during that period were promo bats from 11/03. Albert's other bats were either unfinished or Galen. I'm not even sure the bat is maple, as the one letter says. Looks like ash from your photos.

Personally, I wouldn't want to share my opinion on the authenticity of this particular bat (i.e., use characteristics) without seeing it in person. But, on the surface, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information and uncertainty about the bat's origins and dating.
                        Jeff Scott
                        birdbats@charter.net
                        http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• justinlm24
                          • Mar 2006

dang it, just when I think I have found my pujols.....shot down again.... Here are the only other pics I have of it. Oh well. My quest continues.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• justinlm24
                            • Mar 2006

And by the way, I appreciate all your help and input so I could make an informed decision. Don't know what I'd do without this board. Many thanks again!!!!

Comment

• justinlm24
                              • Mar 2006

The seller, daniel sweet, seems to have a different opinion on this bat. Has anyone dealt with him in the past or know him or about his items?

Comment

Working...