PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane finish on LVS....

justinlm24
05-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I have a lead on a pujols game used bat. Bat looks great, and would make a solid addition to my collection. Seller informed me of it's polyurethane finish which Pujols only ordered once. Which if true would make this a truly rare piece. I was just never aware of the polyurethane finish on any gamers. Can anyone offer any insight on this for me?? Here are a couple pics to check out.

BMH
05-04-2009, 09:48 AM
That was our UV finish, it's a type of Urethane finish, but as you can see it had issues.

Birdbats
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Here's what I can tell you about this bat. First, refer to this thread about the Smith finish and the cracking the resulted -- BMH's posts (#14, 16 and 19) explain the process and the problems: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13820&page=2&highlight=finish

Pujols' records show one order of bats with a SMITHG finish. Not sure what the G at the end means -- I always assumed Galen or Gwynn. Whatever the case, it's the only order of Pujols bats that mentions the SMITH finish in any form. That order for 12 bats was shipped 3/9/04. They're I13L models, no cup, ash, 34" long and 32 ounces. If the bat in question matches these specs, it could be from that particular order.

Whether Pujols actually used the bat in a game is an entirely different issue...

justinlm24
05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Jeff,

Yes it is the exact specs and is the I13L. I have tried getty images to try and find a match with no luck. I guess there really is no way to know 100% if this bat was ever game used. Hmmmm....tough one.

justinlm24
05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
One other piece of info is it coes with a grey flannel COA from Keith Vari from lelands as well as a gameusedbat.com COA. I have asked the seller to send me a couple scans of these to check them out. I'll post them if he comes through.

BMH
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
The code we use for this finish is 2ENAT, the problem is all his orders for it were from 2005. I'm pretty sure we already shut the line down by then.

justinlm24
05-04-2009, 01:46 PM
seems there are too many questions, than answers to spend the money on this bat. Guess my search for a pujols continues.......blah!!!!

wahboom22
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
BMH,

How long was that finish avaiable? I have 3 Jason Giambi G174's with the cracked finish and would like to determine when they were used.

Thank you
Wade

wahboom22@aol.com

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 10:08 AM
That was our UV finish, it's a type of Urethane finish, but as you can see it had issues.

The seller has come through with the COA's. Here they are. He has also told me he may have photomatched this and sent me a couple images. Kyle, he mentioned your name specifically about trying to photomatch it. Now what does everyone think?

BMH
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm not saying it was never put on the bat. We used that coating for 3yrs. before production issues forced us to stop. Now in my records I have none for him getting the UV finish in 2003, all were no finish. BUT!!! That doesn't mean our head rep who is a friend of Pujol's didn't have them coated with them to try and make them "harder".

Giambi always ordered that finish, he is the last person we put the finish on before we shut down the line. In fact, my Giambi bat has the UV finish on it as well.

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm not saying it was never put on the bat. We used that coating for 3yrs. before production issues forced us to stop. Now in my records I have none for him getting the UV finish in 2003, all were no finish. BUT!!! That doesn't mean our head rep who is a friend of Pujol's didn't have them coated with them to try and make them "harder".

BMH, but the bat itself does match shipping records? If you had to put your opinion on this bat, what would you think? I personally love the bat, and the UV finish makes it very unique. Seller has said he may have it photomatched, which if true and I am able to have it matched, would make this a truly unique piece don't you think??

Birdbats
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Justin, the LOAs raise more questions than they answer. Forget the finish for a moment and look at other characteristics. One letter says it's 34.25" and 32.6 ounces. It's pretty rare to find a 34" cupped bat that measures more than 34". I've found if an actual measurement is 34.25", then the record likely would show the bat being 34.5" (bats lose a slight bit of length when they're cupped). I don't see any orders for I13LC bats that length until 2/25/05. And the weight is troublesome. You'd assume the recorded weight should be 32.5 ounces. The only bats Albert received that heavy were unfinished or Galen/wine. Albert prefers bats in the 31-32 range (31.5 is typical), so it would be surprising for him to use a bat that heavy (he's very picky). Finally, both letters refer to the bat as a 2003 model and the one letter says it matches factory records for that period. The I13L cupped bats I see in 2003 are all 34", all unfinished, and none are heaver than 32 ounces. Not a match. The only natural finished bats during that period were promo bats from 11/03. Albert's other bats were either unfinished or Galen. I'm not even sure the bat is maple, as the one letter says. Looks like ash from your photos.

Personally, I wouldn't want to share my opinion on the authenticity of this particular bat (i.e., use characteristics) without seeing it in person. But, on the surface, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information and uncertainty about the bat's origins and dating.

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
dang it, just when I think I have found my pujols.....shot down again....:( Here are the only other pics I have of it. Oh well. My quest continues.

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
And by the way, I appreciate all your help and input so I could make an informed decision. Don't know what I'd do without this board. Many thanks again!!!!

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
The seller, daniel sweet, seems to have a different opinion on this bat. Has anyone dealt with him in the past or know him or about his items?

gameusedbat.com
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
We stand behind the item 100% as used in 2003-2004. The item hailed from Kip Wells who worked closely with the AP/Cardinals organization in the 1980s. Kip has been at the National convention for the last 20 years or so, he is someone in the industry who I truly trust.

Please let Brian Hillerich's records/opinions/info from the louisville factory workers be your guide.

This use is game use and matches Pujols characteristics for the period. Further---attached are the getty images I have from the 2004 period where I believe Pujols used the bat. Getty is real hard to photo match so I cant be for sure----kyle hess or chakes---maybe you can helpl.

Ryan Hilberth, my partner made a couple slight mistakes on the COA which need to be updated.

Brian --- Please discuss with whomever from the factory might have produced this polyurethane finish in 2003-2005 to see if they have any knowledge of producing it for pujols in that period.

Thank you in advance.

Daniel Sweet
info@gameusedbat.com

Ryan Hilberth
info@gameusedbat.com
352.494-4212

------

We have had dealings/negotiations with Tim byington and Jim Caravello as well as puchased and sold many items on the forum.

If anyone can remember purchasing/selling from me I would appreciate anything you might have to say ---good or bad.

Chris this forum's owner/director/moderator knows Ryan well and has spoken to him many times about listing all of our inventory on the game used forum store.

Vince Malta and Dave Bushing can also speak to our knowledge and collection of vintage, 500HR, and modern game used.

Thank you for your time.

I stand behind this item with a 100 percent money back guarantee if you feel this item is not truly authentic when its in your hands.

Best,

Daniel Sweet

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Daniel,

Thank you. I will be interested in reading Brians response to this, and possibly even Jeffs. This bat seems to have sparked a debate....

Birdbats
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
It's Kip Ingle, not Kip Wells (who pitched for the Cards once) :). This almost certainly is the same bat Kip showed me at a show in St. Louis a while back.

Pujols' order records are clear -- he didn't order any bats with this finish, length and weight during the period in question. Obviously, the bat exists, so there must be some explanation. But, nobody can state with certainty that this bat matches factory records. I have the records through 2005. It doesn't.

As for the photo match, the photo on the left shows Albert using a maple bat with what appears to be the "Select Maple" stamp above the center brand -- probably taken in early 2004. On the photo on the right, the line above Pujols' name -- GENUINE and the model number -- extends far beyond the two lines below it, which is not consistent with the bat in question.

For the right price, this would be an interesting Pujols bat to add to one's collection. But saying it's a match to records... or dating it to a specific season... or saying it's photo matched... those are statements that simply don't stand up to the facts. The bat is what it is -- a Pujols model that can't be matched to factory records and may or may not have been used by Pujols.

gameusedbat.com
05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Correct Jeff...It is Kip Ingle not wells....wells was unconciously in my head.

What you have pointed out about the "official records" is also correct. Brian I would be interested to hear your opinion/facts from the Factory's perspective.

BMH---Thank you in advance.

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Well we will see what BMH has to say.

Daniel, are you saying he is correct that the factory records do not match this bat?

gameusedbat.com
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
John Taube of PSA/DNA Game Used Bat authentication has spoken with my partner Ryan Hilberth and made the following opinion.

He is comfortable offer the opinion/authenticating the bat as Game used in the 2003-2004 period. He stated that although the "official records" have Maple bats notated many times in the above referenced period (He ordered maple I13Ls all the time) there could have been a small oversight for a single 6 to 12 bat order where ash I13L bats with a polyurethane finish were ordered by Albert Pujols. in reality the records identify maple bats with a small "m" and since so many orders were made in that way in the reference period it may have been a slight oversight in the system. Brian or the factory workers would have the real answer.

Regardless John's opinion is that the bat in question was used by Albert Pujols in the 2003-2004 period based on use/Alberts characteristics and the fact that this polyurethane finish was common in the above referenced period. Please defer to John Taube if anyone has any further questions.

Thanks for your time on this issue everyone. All the opinions are appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel M. Sweet
info@gameusedbat.com

justinlm24
05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks again Daniel. Guess we got it all setled. I didn't realize what I would stir up with this post......lol

BMH
05-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I was in charge of the UV line during that time frame. I don't remember specifically running Pujols bats through the system, but there were many times Chuck (pro rep) picked up some bats that were in production and had us coat them in UV instead of regular lacquer.

For me everything looks right about the bat. The process of applying the UV coating was a pain in the rear so we only did pro bats or large quantities of store line bats. I know we never did any souvenir's on the line. With that said, I have to admit I don't know if Pujols ever received this bat.

I don't have access to my work files at the moment, I can't seem to log in at work from home. I will take to Chuck in the morning to see if he remembers anything and recheck our records.