PDA

View Full Version : Vince Malta Book

justinwc80
05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Can anyone verify that if I sign up for Premium membership I'll receive the new book. I've seen so many things about delays I simply wanted to confirm since I can't find the book on Amazon on ebay. It sounds great and I'd love to have it.

cordovacollector
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Justin!

I purchased the premium membership on 4/4/09 and on 4/20/09 got a notice from FedEx with tracking number that the book had been shipped by M. Specht himself. The book arrived in perfect condition because it had been packed VERY professionally!

The ONLY bad thing I can say about the whole transaction is that once I got the beautiful book in my hands, I got absolutely nothing done for two days!

The money is well worth "the price of admission" into the GUF extras and the invaluable free info we learn on GUU is priceless. I say pay the premium membership and keep GUU going ... oh, and enjoy the free book as well!

MSpecht
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Hy Justin--you are correct, a new copy of Vince's current book (as seen on the GUU home page) is included with a premium membership. If you decide to purchase a premium membership thru the GUU home page, slip me an email as well, and I may be able to improve the shipping time that is sometimes slightly delayed due to communications between Chris and I. Also, in case you haven't seen it, below is a link to a complete review of the book.

CordovaCollector--thanks for the kind words as well.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7107&highlight=malta+book+review (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7107&highlight=malta+book+review)

justinwc80
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Alright, I'm convinced, looking forward to the book and extras!

momen55
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
hey mike;
is a new book in the works?

corsairs22
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes, is there going to be a book about the history of the Louisville Slugger that will provide more info about some important non-hall of fame players? I think that you'd want that second volume to have a truly complete reference guide to the LVS.

justinwc80
05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I noticed Pete Rose isn't included on here, will he be added?

MSpecht
05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
To my knowledge there is no new book currently in the works. Rose was not included in this one as he is not in the Hall of Fame. There has been some discussion about a similar book that would focus on the records of non-HOF star players ( Rose, Maris, Oliva, etc, ) but truthfully, it is a huge undertaking for a 'niche' book that has little financial incentive, and the time commitment is such that few people would have the ability to tackle it. For instance, just to take a player's H & B records from the original data and transform it into a chart as seen in Vince's book is a process that takes anywhere from 2 hours to 10 plus hours of very intense work. And, each chart needs to be done at least twice, ideally by different people, to ensure accuracy. Multiply that by say 150 or 200 players, and you begin to see the magnitude of the project. And that is just for the charting. Add in additional text, photos, graphic lay-outs, and the business end of it, and, well....... it is easy to see the debt of gratitude owed to Vince Malta for completing the project.

In the meantime, a new book was just published that can be found on Amazon, entitled Sweet Spot: 125 Years of Baseball and the Louisville Slugger

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Spot-Baseball-Louisville-Slugger/dp/1600781764/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241757188&sr=8-5

My copy hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know what all it includes, but presumably it should end up on your reference shelf. Unfortunately, it has the same cover photo as Vince's book, so there may be some initial confusion there.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

corsairs22
05-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Mike

Thanks for the update. Any new books, pamphlets, articles, blogs, posts, hand written notes, etc. about vintage bats are always welcomed by me and the rest of the niche. If you have the time, please let us know if there's anything especially interesting about the new book on the LS.

Mark

grenda12
05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Id like to see currant players records available online to view.