PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Robinson bat on ebay

Mark17
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Any thoughts on the Brooks Robinson bat currently on ebay? Doesn't match factory records, is block-letter (and a common last name at that), but is offered by a very reputable dealer whom I've had excellent dealings with. I guess my main question is, are the knob markings correct, and would it say "ROBINSON" rather than "B. ROBINSON"?

Team index bat?

shoremen44
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
As far as I know Brooks had a contract with LS from the begining... according to Malta's book... Brooks was shipped 2 bats in 1955 and they were signature model...

as well... Brooks didnt order the S44 until the last two years of his career

I would say it was not used by him...

However I have been wrong before

Mark17
05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. Malta's book also states: "Signature appears in block and scripted forms in 60s and 70s..."

I realize Frank wasn't with the O's in 1964 (the year of the bat,) so there wouldn't have been confusion by just using "ROBINSON" in the O's clubhouse. But I have to figure there were plenty of other Robinsons in the majors and minors during this time, so thought maybe the block ones would have a "B" in front.

I guess the key would be the knob markings.

shoremen44
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry... missed the "Block" designation in the book

ndevlin
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
He's getting the year, 1964, from a similar model Brooks ordered that year. Add that to whats on the knob and you have a 1964 Brooks Robinson bat. Not quite.

I emailed him within the hr the bat came out and asked how it was a 1964 bat and his response was, "read the description". Ok well I did and told him his description says that the bat "is a 1964 Brooks Robinson bat" and I dont see how the bat could be this based on the fact that its a model similar to what he ordered at the time and the marking on the knob. Either way, I got no response from him on that one.

Im not saying the bat couldnt be a 1964 Brooks Robinson bat, but I would have a hard time selling the bat as such with the evidence at hand. Im going to need something better than a model close to his standards and markings on a knob who knows wrote on it, to call the bat a 1964 Brooks Robinson bat.