PDA

View Full Version : Fake Jeter BAt On Ebay

Calrima
05-04-2006, 01:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEREK-JETER-GAME-USED-BAT-FROM-2000-NICE-COA_W0QQitemZ8806119083QQcategoryZ60596QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Frieinds take a good look at this bat. The words FLAME TEMPERED are next to the Center brand. It should be POWERIZED to be authentic. I hope this saves someone from a terrible mistake.

Lets keep our heads up and wact out for our members.

Den

bat_master
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I just emailed the seller. I saw it about two hours ago and noticed right away that it was had the Flame Tempered instead of Powerized. Let's see what the seller's response is.

Tim Byington

worldchamps
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
But it comes with a COA??????

Maybe their bats got stuck in security in Oakland, so the equipment manager had to go to Academy and buy some bats for the next series?

It says it came straight from the clubhouse, this has to be the case!!

:)

Eric
05-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Everyone-

PLEASE- CONTACT THE SELLER WITH YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT POSSIBLE FRAUDULENT ITEMS BEFORE POSTING ON THE FORUM

You can feel free to report on the results after hearing from the seller, so people can still be educated.
Thank you
Eric

bat_master
05-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I received a response from the seller. I would suggest the rest of you to email the seller as well. Here is his response:

"i bought this from a bat boy for the mud hens it is from Jeter when he was on assignment for the Clippers in 2000. I have never sold anything fake. thank you for your opinion though."

Sounds like a good story, but to be honest I would have a hard time believe that a flame tempered bat would have been used. Just my two cents.

Tim Byington

Eric
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM
I received a response from the seller. I would suggest the rest of you to email the seller as well. Here is his response:

"i bought this from a bat boy for the mud hens it is from Jeter when he was on assignment for the Clippers in 2000. I have never sold anything fake. thank you for your opinion though."

Sounds like a good story, but to be honest I would have a hard time believe that a flame tempered bat would have been used. Just my two cents.

Tim Byington

Tim-
Thanks for being the responsible party here and getting a response from the seller. Now people can make up their own minds based on the answer.
Eric

ChrisCavalier
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello Everyone,

I noticed that the seller cancelled this auction. While it is entirely possible that the seller did get the bat from a bat boy who claimed it was used by Jeter, I personally know of no precedent where 'Flame Tempered' bats were used in a game. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

In my opinion, this is likely another example of where someone trusted a source and the source was either mistaken about an item or took advantage of the buyer.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped identify this item in an attempt to help collectors make an informed decision. Thanks also for contacting the seller to clarify the situation.

I agree that we need to look out for each other and this is another great example of how our members can help each other in a responsible manner.

Thanks again to everyone who participated.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

Calrima
05-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks Chris,

Yes, a Flame Tempered Louisville Slugger is a non authentic item. I have collected bats for 26+ years and my ONLY intention of posting was to EDUCATE and PROTECT our members from hitting the $1000 Buy it Now and getting burned.

We do have to be very carefull and not ruin anyones professional reputation, or business in this hobby.

I am here to help this group and all members, if I can.

My best,
Den