PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez Could Have Been Out For 9 Months

3arod13
05-10-2009, 09:23 AM
This was in our sports page this morning. Thought it was pretty funny:

Manny Ramirez - Female fertility drugs? Fifty games is light; had he gotten pregnant, he would have missed at least 9 months.

suicide_squeeze
05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
This was in our sports page this morning. Thought it was pretty funny:

Manny Ramirez - Female fertility drugs? Fifty games is light; had he gotten pregnant, he would have missed at least 9 months.

Non that the pain of it all is starting to subside, that IS funny.

But I wonder.....

If Manny was taking that drug to kick-start his testosterone production (as it is believed, which is necessary due to recently using steroids), then how is it these guys can do steroids and not get caught by off-season testing?

They are being tested in the off-season too, right? I mean, I've read that several times, and major league baseball has stated they get tested in the off season......so HOW do they get away from it? Pure luck?

Remember, he was banned for using a 'banned substance'.....it wasn't a steroid or PED.....it was banned because of it's association with the common use WITH PED's. So how is it Manny didn't show any PED's in his testing?

David
05-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Arod13, that was humorous.

Nathan
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Non that the pain of it all is starting to subside, that IS funny.

But I wonder.....

If Manny was taking that drug to kick-start his testosterone production (as it is believed, which is necessary due to recently using steroids), then how is it these guys can do steroids and not get caught by off-season testing?

They are being tested in the off-season too, right? I mean, I've read that several times, and major league baseball has stated they get tested in the off season......so HOW do they get away from it? Pure luck?

Remember, he was banned for using a 'banned substance'.....it wasn't a steroid or PED.....it was banned because of it's association with the common use WITH PED's. So how is it Manny didn't show any PED's in his testing?

The focus on steroid development over the last 30 years has focused on two things:
1) Reducing undesirable side effects, and
2) Making the telltale chemical compounds invisible to testing

Manners of reducing the side effects go from cutting the testosterone with something else (thus reducing the overall effect) to altering manner of absorption (going from needle-injected toward topical creams, for example; the idea is that there is a needless risk associated with injection that could range from cysts and hematomas all the way to the extreme, like shooting a large dose directly into the sciatic nerve).

As far as chemical compounds, this is how testing lags to some extent. If it's possible to change how the body processes an ingested compound and thus change how it manifests itself in a test, it won't show up in a test. An additional problem is that with some methods of testing such as gas chromatography, it can find anything that it's programmed to look for; unfortunately that's only one thing at a time per sample. A sample could be tainted with every type of PEC known to man, but if the chromatograph is set to look for something that it's present, it'll show up as a clean sample.

Female fertility drugs are used two different ways by men as it relates to performance enhancement. The first is to restart the body's natural testosterone production (after synthetic testosterone shuts it off). The second is to combine it with what is commonly known as andro to create a reaction that makes dianobol look like a chocolate chip cookie. The irony is that MLB banned andro because it got negative publicity as a result of McGwire's use; if he hadn't promoted it, it would still be legal and the game would be dirtier than it ever has been (with the possible exception of the gambling scandals of the 1910s).

sox83cubs84
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
A baby Man-Ram wouldn't tinkle in his diapers...he'd go into the Green Monster to answer nature's call:p .

Dave M.
Chicago area