PDA

View Full Version : Jordan game used All Star Jersey 2003

Robster744
05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
What do you guys think about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICHAEL-JORDAN-GAME-USED-ALL-STAR-JERSEY-2003-MEARS-LOA_W0QQitemZ350199471662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item518983de2e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C 301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

http://i43.tinypic.com/r7vjia.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/w20m6w.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hi9t8m.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2nhf611.jpg

Texans
05-10-2009, 10:41 AM
MJ last All Star Jersey for only 3,500. lol. Its only a procut . If it was really game used everybody would jump at that price.

Jojo

33bird
05-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Your pictures you posted say it all. It's not real.

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 06:39 PM
It comes with a loa from mears,i always thought they were pretty respected.I wonder how many jerseys he wore that game?

sportscentury
05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
It comes with a loa from mears,i always thought they were pretty respected.I wonder how many jerseys he wore that game?

MEARS gave it an A5, meaning that it was made/pro-cut to Jordan's specs. It does not even mean that it was game issued, never mind game worn. Joel or Troy can correct me if I'm wrong. In a sense, a score of A5 means "could have been game worn." I would hestitate to read much into an A5 score.

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks sportscentury-I was not aware of mears and thier scoring system,and did'nt read the loa,i just saw that it came from mears and i've heard people talk about them on here and thought they have a good reputation.Why would you have a non game used jersey certified?I mean what would the point of it.So you're saying that the jersey was'nt even game issued for jordan,that it was just made like it could be?Well if thats the case,how can this seller ask so much for it?:confused:
MEARS gave it an A5, meaning that it was made/pro-cut to Jordan's specs. It does not even mean that it was game issued, never mind game worn. Joel or Troy can correct me if I'm wrong. In a sense, a score of A5 means "could have been game worn." I would hestitate to read much into an A5 score.

sportscentury
05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks sportscentury-I was not aware of mears and thier scoring system,and did'nt read the loa,i just saw that it came from mears and i've heard people talk about them on here and thought they have a good reputation.Why would you have a non game used jersey certified?I mean what would the point of it.So you're saying that the jersey was'nt even game issued for jordan,that it was just made like it could be?Well if thats the case,how can this seller ask so much for it?:confused:

No, that is not what I'm saying (and it is not what the MEARS A5 COA is saying). It is saying that the jersey was made to Jordan's specs. Period. The jersey could have been issued to Jordan for game use. The jersey could have been game worn by Jordan. The A5 score, though, does not speak to these latter issues, only that the jersey was made to the player's specs, leaving open the possibilities that it was game issued and game worn by the player in question.

Why do collectors want such a document? I would imagine that even the possibility of the item being game worn is appealing to some, particularly since a lot of folks would be wondering whether the item was actually a game jersey in the first place. Also, it may be that some collectors do not understand the MEARS scoring system. Some may believe that an A5 means more than it does. A5 is the most common score from what I've seen, but there may be many that are rejected that do not get a score at all. This would be a question for Troy.

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks again for the insight sportscentury-I'm sorry i got what you were saying wrong,sorry about that,as you can tell i'm not that up on scoring of jerseys and things like that.I guess cause i don't really understand it,not smart enough i guess.I wouldnt buy a5 jersey if that means that it could or could not be game used,i need more than a 50/50 chance that the player wore it to spend my hard earned money on it.So a A5 rating is the lowest rating than?And i have'nt and never would never buy a game issued jersey,as thats pointless to me.And i always wondered what's stopping someone from getting jerseys to a players specs and calling them game used.So mears with that A5 rating is just saying,yeah it's made the way jordan likes his jersey's?But they are not saying that it's jordan's jersey persay?They are saying it could be or could not be.Ok i think i got it now-thanks and sorry for being so stubid:)
No, that is not what I'm saying (and it is not what the MEARS A5 COA is saying). It is saying that the jersey was made to Jordan's specs. Period. The jersey could have been issued to Jordan for game use. The jersey could have been game worn by Jordan. The A5 score, though, does not speak to these latter issues, only that the jersey was made to the player's specs, leaving open the possibilities that it was game issued and game worn by the player in question.

Why do collectors want such a document? I would imagine that even the possibility of the item being game worn is appealing to some, particularly since a lot of folks would be wondering whether the item was actually a game jersey in the first place. Also, it may be that some collectors do not understand the MEARS scoring system. Some may believe that an A5 means more than it does. A5 is the most common score from what I've seen, but there may be many that are rejected that do not get a score at all. This would be a question for Troy.

sportscentury
05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks again for the insight sportscentury-I'm sorry i got what you were saying wrong,sorry about that,as you can tell i'm not that up on scoring of jerseys and things like that.I guess cause i don't really understand it,not smart enough i guess.I wouldnt buy a5 jersey if that means that it could or could not be game used,i need more than a 50/50 chance that the player wore it to spend my hard earned money on it.So a A5 rating is the lowest rating than?And i have'nt and never would never buy a game issued jersey,as thats pointless to me.And i always wondered what's stopping someone from getting jerseys to a players specs and calling them game used.So mears with that A5 rating is just saying,yeah it's made the way jordan likes his jersey's?But they are not saying that it's jordan's jersey persay?They are saying it could be or could not be.Ok i think i got it now-thanks and sorry for being so stubid:)

You're still reading too much into the score. An A5 does not give you a 50/50 chance that the jersey was game worn by the player in question. It only means what I stated. The lowest score is an A1. The scale is from A1 to A10. Here is the MEARS link for more information about the A5 score:

http://www.mearsonline.com/services/faqs.asp

nickacs
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I saw this jersey as well the other night on Ebay and emailed another colleague on here about it, and we both agree at BEST it is a game-issued.

If the seller had some sort of LOA from say the equip mngr at that All-Star game or some other solid provence from Jordan or another player who acquired it was indeed "game worn", then the MEARS grading would have been probably A9 or A10.

Joba- I too thought that having a MEARS LOA was one of the "best" 3rd-party LOA's out there, but as an A5, it is like SportsCentury is saying that it's good, but there's no way MEARS can really say it is "game worn" if there is no further proof. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? With the recent Jordan Olympic jersey threads and GF auction a couple weeks ago, we all know there's TONS of these jerseys out there, but once you get by the authentics and game-issued and find markings to be possible "game worn", how do you really know without a definitive LOA/letter? I have a blue Jordan Olympic jersey that has all the markings to be "game worn", but since I acquired it via an auction house many years ago, all I have is a Lampson LOA but there's nothing 100% that says and can conclude it's really "game worn". Maybe I have something worth $30k or maybe something worth as a game-issued $2k?

Sorry for the ramblings, but just trying to help out a fellow Jordan enthusiast :) I've heard of possibly 2 "game worn" jerseys at NBA All-Star games, one for each half, so who knows.

I guess it all boils down to what you "think" it might be and how big a hole you can burn in your wallet for it! Good luck!

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry sportcentury,I guess i'm just riding the short bus on this topic.But then i've never understood the concept of 3rd party authenticators like them.It's just what they think,it's a guessing game,it's the same thing we do here when we look at jersey's.But that's a whole other topic.Anyway, you said that a A5 would mean that it could be jordans as it is made to his specs,well than it could not be his,and that's why i said the 50/50 thing.The key word would be "could".Thanks for the link,i will read it and thanks for all your insight into this......................and nickacs,i've never delt with mears so i have no idea if they are the "best",i just have heard of them.I personally don't put alot of merit into those 3rd parties authenticators, like i said above.It's just them guessing if it's game used or not.You could have a jersey that a player gave you personally,and they could give it a A5.Like you said,you could have a item that's worth 30k or next to nothing depending on what they give it,and that's why i don't put alot of wieght into them.Now mind you,i'm in no way meaning to bad mouth them or disrespect them,as i know alot of dealers and collectors love them and go by them.I'm just saying what i think about any kind of ratings like that.:)
You're still reading too much into the score. An A5 does not give you a 50/50 chance that the jersey was game worn by the player in question. It only means what I stated. The lowest score is an A1. The scale is from A1 to A10. Here is the MEARS link for more information about the A5 score:

http://www.mearsonline.com/services/faqs.asp

trsent
05-11-2009, 07:24 AM
From the MEARS web site:

"Q: What does your definition of A5 for uniforms mean?

A. A grade of A5 can be the result of two things. For pre-1987 jerseys it reflects a cumulative grade for shirt with points being added or deducted for various factors as listed in our grading criteria. For post 1987 jerseys it reflects both a grade and an issue within the hobby that deserves both explanation and qualification as it relates to star or period star player uniforms. As LTC Dave Grob wrote in an 30 April 2004 Article in Sports Collectors Digest titled "The shirt off my back or off the rack! When collecting gamers became a hazardous hobby," he begins to explain the commercialization of game used product within the hobby. Although not limited to just uniforms, as this is also roughly the same period of time that the Anaconda-Kaye Sports Inc. Pro-Model bats surfaced within the hobby (1986-1989), it does provide a similar set of circumstances requiring explanation. For MEARS, a post 1987 star player or period star player jersey, this means that without provenance, both reasonable and verifiable, the A5 designation is defined as a jersey that posses all the qualities and physical characteristics of a major league uniform manufactured for the purposes of player use, retail sale, or promotion. Only use and wear on the uniform will be described. Other examples of products that highlight the need within the hobby for an A5 designation are the Champion basketball jerseys of star players for the mid to late 1990s."

MEARS does not state the jersey is game used, but it has such characteristics. The jersey sold for $2500.00 - Which I believe is what a pro-cut of this nature would sell for as they are generally rare and limited.

Also from the MEARS web site for furthur reading enjoyment:

"Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5.

A10 Manufactures characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match in tagging, lettering, numbering, size, patches or memorial bands, materials, style, buttons, zipper, etc. Each piece is also evaluated on the degree of evident use and wear, which must be consistent with that of the player, sport, position, field of play, and duration of use. No negative traits, incorrect manufacturers specifications, or use characteristics can be present to be awarded this grade. The Player, team, or event provenance was provided at the time of inspection and fully supports the attributions and player wear.

A9 Manufacturers characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match all criteria. This grade is awarded when the jersey has a minor flaw that does not warrant more than a full point deduction. No reasonable doubt can exist as to whether or not the player wore the jersey during the proposed time frame in order to receive this grade.

A6 thru A8: Manufacturers characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match all criteria. In addition, if the jersey exhibits optimal use and wear, up to 3 additional points to the base grade of A5 may be awarded for these characteristics. Since Hall of Fame players and period superstars are most susceptible to forgery, the A6 thru A8 grade is generally reserved for common players, utility players, coaches & managers.

A5 Manufactures characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and are consistent with respects to what would be expected to be seen in a game issued jersey. Each piece is also evaluated on the degree of evident use and wear, which must be consistent with that of the player, sport, position, field of play, and duration of use. The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy and the jersey cannot exhibit negative, missing, or incorrect manufacturers traits or use characteristics. When team or player provenance is lacking, wear can be measured, but not attributed directly to examined player. Without reasonable and verifiable provenance for post-1987 Hall of Fame or period star player jersey's, the A5 designation may still be assigned if the jersey possesses qualities and physical characteristics of a Major League jersey that was manufactured for player use or as an extra for a team or player, or one that may have been made available for retail sale or promotion (while still containing the physical characteristics consistent with game issued jerseys). It should be noted that variances with respect to number/lettering placement, font, stitching, size, patch placement and other manufacturers characteristics may be present on MEARS A5 jerseys when compared to documented game used jerseys. A MEARS A5 jersey may still be assigned the grade without an accompanying photomatch or may exhibit variations when compared to an examined available image.

A1 thru A4 These grades are rarely assigned to a post-1987 jerseys since jerseys from this time period are infrequently recycled as replacement jerseys are so readily available. See full MEARS point criteria for factors, which can lower the final grade. When points are subtraction for jerseys from this time frame, reasons will be noted and included on the "Jersey Grading and Authenticating Official Worksheet."