PDA

View Full Version : AP Photo's Question

shoremen44
05-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Does anyone know how to purchase high-res downloads of AP photo's...

I have purchased Photo's off Getty, but the one I need is not there it is only on the AP site, and they won't let me download.

thanks

Dewey2007
05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Bert,

I purchased a NFL photo off AP a couple of months back but not all of their photos are for sale (i.e. NBA licensed pics). If you go to AP Images and click on "Photos for Personal Use or Display" at the bottom left of the page you can check to see if the photo you are interested in is for sale. If you don't see it click on "Online Photo Request Form" on the right side of the page to request it's availability. The will contact you with in few days to let you know if your photo is available for purchase.

Best,
Dewey

shoremen44
05-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Dewey,
Thanks... but are they just prints or do they sell the jpeg images for download?

emann
05-11-2009, 09:41 AM

I have purchased Photo's off Getty, but the one I need is not there it is only on the AP site, and they won't let me download.

thanks

I have a related question: how much do they charge for high-res photos off Getty (or AP, etc) for personal use? I thought I found it once, but it seemed like they were charging around $300, does this seem correct?

Thanks!

Dewey2007
05-11-2009, 10:13 AM
They just sell 8x10 or 11x14 prints.

Dewey,
Thanks... but are they just prints or do they sell the jpeg images for download?

David
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Getty and Corbis charge at least a few hundred for a high resolution image. They don't offer the images for personal use, but for publishers like magazines and such. You have to sign up as a publisher to get access.

shoremen44
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
You can getty images cheaper... but apparently AP wont even sell one to me unless it is a print

orioles03
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
getty has a photo i want i am in the photo when gary matthews jr hit a game winning homerun all the players were around homeplate i am in the shot i guess picking up the bat i wish i could find a better photo without paying hundreds of dollars for one photo

Vintagedeputy
05-11-2009, 12:40 PM
getty has a photo i want i am in the photo when gary matthews jr hit a game winning homerun all the players were around homeplate i am in the shot i guess picking up the bat i wish i could find a better photo without paying hundreds of dollars for one photo

Tell them that you didnt sign a release for your photo to be used and you'll sue them unless they give you a copy. Tell them also that you were a minor when the photo was taken and your dad is some big high dollar trial lawyer!

Legal action is the way of the world today, isnt it? haha :)

orioles03
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Tell them that you didnt sign a release for your photo to be used and you'll sue them unless they give you a copy. Tell them also that you were a minor when the photo was taken and your dad is some big high dollar trial lawyer!

Legal action is the way of the world today, isnt it? haha :)
that's good! i was 16 at the time!

slats7
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Wireimage maintains a great archive as well, but unlike Getty and Corbis, they only provide thumbnails of their pix.

rj_lucas
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM

thanks

To purchase an AP image for personal use (i.e. as opposed to commerical use), contact Pictopia (pictopia.com or 510-658-6500).

You can also use their on-line request form:

http://gallery.pictopia.com/ap/requests/ (mhtml:{BB049B75-5263-4D80-AAC0-B6C0BC833560}mid://00000155/!x-usc:http://gallery.pictopia.com/ap/requests/)

One nice thing about the request form is it lets you buy an AP image you've seen on a website (e.g. ESPN, SI, etc.) by providing the URL.

I believe AP images for personal use are only available as prints and not as digital files.

Regarding Getty pricing, there are two major variables. The first is royalty-free versus rights-managed images. The second is resolution. You can typically purchase a royalty-free image at web resolution (72 dpi) for under $100 and sometimes for under $50. The same image at print resolution (300 dpi or higher), can be multiple hundreds of dollars.

A rights-managed image at web res will be multiple hundreds. At print res, it will be multiple thousands of dollars. Strictly speaking, rights-managed images are not available for personal use.

Getty is probably the most expensive resource out there for purchasing images. Unfortunately, they probably also have the greatest selection of images. Funny how that works.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com