PDA

View Full Version : Why do NFL Game-Worn Jerseys look so Small/Tight?

RKO18
05-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I have seen quite a few GW NFL jerseys that look as if they would be really tight on the actual players. I don't want to single any jersey out because I don't think there is anything wrong with these jerseys I've seen, I just don't understand how a linebacker or defensive linemen can wear a size 42 or 44.

I've also seen Giants GW jerseys from their Pro Shop page and the jerseys for their O-linemen look like they could fit WR's.

Does anyone have any idea why this is?

MichaelofSF
05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
The reason that they wear small jerseys is because the more jersey that you wear, the more jersey an opponent can grab to bring you down. NFL players want the jersey tight so that there is nothing for defenders to grab on to.

Retail authentic jerseys used to be smaller as well, today a medium is considered a 48 which was a large or extra large depending on how far back you go.

Nathan
05-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I have seen quite a few GW NFL jerseys that look as if they would be really tight on the actual players. I don't want to single any jersey out because I don't think there is anything wrong with these jerseys I've seen, I just don't understand how a linebacker or defensive linemen can wear a size 42 or 44.

I've also seen Giants GW jerseys from their Pro Shop page and the jerseys for their O-linemen look like they could fit WR's.

Does anyone have any idea why this is?

Football jerseys are also put on differently than in other sports. In baseball or basketball, it goes on over whatever undershirt may be worn. In hockey, the equipment goes on first and the jersey last. In football, the jersey is stretched over the shoulder pads and so the pads and jersey go on together as a system.

The best ones I have in my collection are from Kevin Mays, a former guard at Tennessee. Apparently not satisfied with the traditional methods (I think he had severe shoulder problems), he had zippers put in the spandex on both sides. He thus could unzip the jersey to be a flat piece of cloth, then stretch it and re-zip to comfort.

RKO18
05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

What I'm also wondering is what's up when you look at a Game-Worn jersey that has all of the right sources so you know it's legit, but it looks like it would never fit the player, much less over the shoulder pads.

I've even seen game jerseys that look tight in person, but if you look at actual images of the player, the jersey looks a little baggy when they wear it during a game.

How can they go from looking baggy during a game to looking tight when you look at the actual Game-Worn jersey in person (or on the internet)?

My first thought would be that the jersey isn't the real deal, but I'm talking jerseys from NFL Auctions or ones with COA's from the actual teams. It seems to be more of an issue with modern jerseys (let's say post 2002) than with older ones.

hockeytigers
05-12-2009, 06:55 AM
:) I'm not sure I know what you mean...:)

Nathan
05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

What I'm also wondering is what's up when you look at a Game-Worn jersey that has all of the right sources so you know it's legit, but it looks like it would never fit the player, much less over the shoulder pads.

I've even seen game jerseys that look tight in person, but if you look at actual images of the player, the jersey looks a little baggy when they wear it during a game.

How can they go from looking baggy during a game to looking tight when you look at the actual Game-Worn jersey in person (or on the internet)?

My first thought would be that the jersey isn't the real deal, but I'm talking jerseys from NFL Auctions or ones with COA's from the actual teams. It seems to be more of an issue with modern jerseys (let's say post 2002) than with older ones.

In the average physically fit person, the chest will stick out further in every direction than the stomach/waist will. The shoulder pads act to serve as an extension of the chest in every direction, so when the jersey is on the player it created a reverse conical effect (widest at the top, narrowest at the bottom). The jersey expands wide enough over the shoulder pads that everything below the bottom of the pads hangs at the same width. The jersey will tend to look extremely tight around the chest and shoulder pads and somewhat loose around the stomach.

There's one picture I have of Keyon Whiteside at Tennessee where his jersey is so tight over the pads that I can tell you what make and model pads he was wearing.

nyjetsfan14
05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
In the average physically fit person, the chest will stick out further in every direction than the stomach/waist will.

I'd like to personally blame the Anheuser-Busch Co for making me less than average than! :D