PDA

View Full Version : Possible photo matched, opinions please?

halofan
05-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Just would like some opinions if I have a photo match or not? I have not received the bat yet, but I think I have photo matched it to Vladdy's HR#1 bat April 12th 2009 against Boston, I will give the reasons why I think it possibly is,

1.) The black dot mid way up the handle
2.) 2 marks on the barell right above the stamping/name, ( I could really see it only because I zoomed in) and
3.) The number on the knob, the location of the 2 number sticker.

I have enclosed some photos, Just want your opinions, I have not photo matched before, and I'm certainly no expert.
Pictures are from Getty & Icon Sports,
Thank you for your time and reading my post.
Billy

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/gtochaos/vladhr120095-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/gtochaos/vladhr120098-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/gtochaos/vladhr120099-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/gtochaos/vladhr120097-1-1.jpg

shoremen44
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
The black mark is on all Maple bats... once you get the bat you will be able to tell more... but just by using the pics you provided I think you have a good start...

looks to be alot of marks on the bat... should be fun to match once you get it

Good luck

halofan
05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks Bert :)

sportscentury
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree with Bert. You don't have a definitive match yet, but you're off to a good start. Nice bat.

The one thing I can't tell is whether angle of the 7 on the knob is the same. The placement of the 27 looks good. But it looks as though the angles of the 7s may be different (perhaps not - just hard to tell).

rj_lucas
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Boy, the angle of the 7 looks dead-on to me. In both examples it's rotated slightly counter-clockwise relative to the 2, and the bottom tip of the 7 extends just slightly below the base of the 2.

Those numbers are too clean to be handwritten. Do we know how they were applied e.g. is there an automated process that could cause the numbers to be identically aligned on multiple bats, or were they applied by hand?

If it's the latter, I would think the chances of the numbers on two different bats being this closely aligned would be very slim.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

halofan
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Here is a picture of Vlad using the same model & color bat on April 11th
notice the 27 on the knob is more center on that knob, so I'm guessing they are stickers, hand applied. I didn't have to go through alot of games because Vlad has been on the DL.

sportscentury
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Boy, the angle of the 7 looks dead-on to me. In both examples it's rotated slightly counter-clockwise relative to the 2, and the bottom tip of the 7 extends just slightly below the base of the 2.

Those numbers are too clean to be handwritten. Do we know how they were applied e.g. is there an automated process that could cause the numbers to be identically aligned on multiple bats, or were they applied by hand?

If it's the latter, I would think the chances of the numbers on two different bats being this closely aligned would be very slim.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

If you can be certain about the angles of the 7s from those small, low resolution photos, that is impressive.

The numbers are not handwritten. Bat knob number stickers were previously discussed here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23517

rj_lucas
05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
If you can be certain about the angles of the 7s from those small, low resolution photos, that is impressive.

The numbers are not handwritten. Bat knob number stickers were previously discussed here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23517

Open the images in Photoshop and crop on the knobs. Increase to 300dpi and apply several passes of the Unsharp Mask filter. Reduce the size of the small inset photo of the knob to 80% and rotate counter-clockwise by another 5% so it more closely matches the orientation of the knob in the full photo.

Use the magic wand tool to pull the 2 and 7 out of the inset photo (use the shift key to pull them out together without changing their relative positions) and drop them on top of the full photo (image 1 below). Nudge it into place (image 2). Judge for yourself, but I think the forensic evidence is pretty compelling.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

kingjammy24
05-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Open the images in Photoshop and crop on the knobs. Increase to 300dpi and apply several passes of the Unsharp Mask filter. Reduce the size of the small inset photo of the knob to 80% and rotate counter-clockwise by another 5% so it more closely matches the orientation of the knob in the full photo.

Use the magic wand tool to pull the 2 and 7 out of the inset photo (use the shift key to pull them out together without changing their relative positions) and drop them on top of the full photo (image 1 below). Nudge it into place (image 2). Judge for yourself, but I think the forensic evidence is pretty compelling.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

reid probably just forgot to increase his dpi to 300. no worries reid, you'll get 'em next time.

rudy.

jetersbatboy
05-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com
Wow that's some fantastic photo shop work!!! I think Kyle has some compation!!!

sportscentury
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
reid probably just forgot to increase his dpi to 300. no worries reid, you'll get 'em next time.

rudy.

Yup, that's what it was. Not sure what I was thinking.

rj_lucas
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM

rudy.

There's nothing worse than not having enough dots in your inch ;)

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com