PDA

View Full Version : What Have I Got?

harleighb
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm hoping some of the experts here can give me some guidance regarding a 1984 Pittsburgh Pirates jersey I've got listed on E-Bay. I've attached a few pics of the jersey to this post to assist.

Its a nice old school Pirates jersey but I've gotten a considerable amount of questions/action (i.e. requests to sell early) on the jersey and I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where everyone but the seller (myself) knows what the seller has got. Any thoughts? Again, its a nice jersey and all but I'm getting a pretty solid number of views/watchers/questions/requests.

Thanks to any and all for their assistance. hb

mvandor
05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Assume the tag indicates 1984 but there's no #32 showing on '84 or '85 Pirates' rosters I just Googled.

Vintagedeputy
05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Even going back a few seasons yields no #32 on the roster.

both-teams-played-hard
05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe a spring training shirt? Does it appear like a NOB was removed? Cool jersey, did you find this on the second-hand market?

lon lewis
05-12-2009, 06:36 PM
The book "Now Batting..." lists the # 32 as Joe Lonnett ( coach) from 1978 -1984. The NOB has been removed.

otismalibu
05-12-2009, 07:03 PM
HB,

Lon probably nailed it, but your honesty is really holding you back on this one.

When in doubt, create some sort of story that involves a HOFer, an impeccable source and throw in some stats for good measure. :)

My uncle is from the Pittsburgh area and is good friends with Franco Harris and recieved this piece directly from him. This jersey was given to Mr. Harris as he departed the Steelers to join the Seattle Seahawks at the end of his career. A one of a kind piece, presented to a HOFer who is responsible for making one of the most dramatic plays in the history of Pittsburgh sports. Franco Harris has 4 SB rings, 1 SB MVP, was the AP offensive rookie of the year and also the 1976 NFL Man of the Year.

Vintagedeputy
05-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Lampson would say that Clemente wore it after getting it from Honus Wagner.

harleighb
05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for their assistance. I now just need to craft that "HOFer-wore-this-jersey-but-don't-go-looking-for-photos-or-other-evidence" story to add to the listing.

To answer the questions posed about the jersey. The NOB was definitely removed at some point (you can see the outline of the stitches). I don't have any information about the origins of the jersey (other than the soon to be created story about its use by a certain HOFer) as I acquired it as a payoff of sorts on a deal gone bad.

Again, a really great jersey. If I could stay away from the Dome Dogs sold at the Metrodome, I'd probably keep it and wear it myself.

Thanks again,
Harleigh

suave1477
05-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Lampson would say that Clemente wore it after getting it from Honus Wagner.

Don't forget, he then handed it down to Bonds lol lol