PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auctions Terminology-Professional Model?

tknorm
05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I hope some forum experts cna help me with a terminolgy question. In browsing through some Hunt Auctions items, they list some items as game worn or game used but others are listed as professional models with descriptions of the usage or wear.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference in game-used/worn and professional model with usage traits?

Thanks,

Tommy

suicide_squeeze
05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Professional models with usage or wear typically refers to a jersey matching professional specs, but has no other means of provenance that would lead one to believe it was used by the player it is identified with. Furthermore, it may not be in the players size, or have all of the usual "traits" the player would have on a gamer.

Simply put, it's nothing more than a professional style jersey that could have been worn by "George" of the neighborhood softball team. They leave the tantalizing possibility that it might.....might......have game use from the pro, but most likely not.

The game worn/used is a bit more blunt in it's meaning, but you should use common sense and do your homework on these items too. Make sure the traits of the jersey match that of the player.

trsent
05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I hope some forum experts cna help me with a terminolgy question. In browsing through some Hunt Auctions items, they list some items as game worn or game used but others are listed as professional models with descriptions of the usage or wear.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference in game-used/worn and professional model with usage traits?

Thanks,

Tommy

Tommy, it would also be a good idea to email Hunt with your question and ask how they use the terminology as some people define different aspects of use/wear/issued differently.

If you receive an answer, it would great if you post it here so we can see how they use different definitions.

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure what specific items you're referring to, but this is sometimes an approach that sellers or auction houses use to be conservative in their language and cover themselves regarding items that have not been determined to be game used with certainty. By using this language, they are suggesting that the item was (or at least may have been) game used by the identified player, but they are not committing themselves in a way that puts them at risk if it turns out that the item is determined not to have been game used by the player. To me, if you list some items as game used and others as professional models with use characteristics (or something to this effect), it immediately places a question mark next to the items in the latter group.

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Tommy, it would also be a good idea to email Hunt with your question and ask how they use the terminology as some people define different aspects of use/wear/issued differently.

If you receive an answer, it would great if you post it here so we can see how they use different definitions.

Yes, it's always best to go directly to the source first. Folks love GUU and it's easy to be on auto-pilot to ask questions here first ... but there are times when GUU should be the second stop. This is the same point I've tried to make recently in other threads asking questions about MeiGray services and PSA/DNA pricing.

tknorm
05-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I did send a note to Hunt Auctions and will be happy to share what I learn. Thanks for the answers. Yours are consistent with what I was guessing. It just felt like they had less certainty, not that they were trying to play games, as they are very intentional in the wording.

Thanks for the help.

Tommy

tknorm
05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I wanted to pass along that Hunt Auctions got back to me very quickly with a reply much like what was suggested by a couple of you. They said that they call something game used when there is team or authenticator provenance and call something pro model when it has less provenance, even though in some cases they feel the item may be game used.

Makes sense to me. It is a confidence thing.

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I wanted to pass along that Hunt Auctions got back to me very quickly with a reply much like what was suggested by a couple of you. They said that they call something game used when there is team or authenticator provenance and call something pro model when it has less provenance, even though in some cases they feel the item may be game used.

Makes sense to me. It is a confidence thing.

I always find it helpful when sellers/auction houses state such clarifications up front. I have no idea if Hunt does this or not -- I am just stating this as a general matter.

suicide_squeeze
05-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I always find it helpful when sellers/auction houses state such clarifications up front. I have no idea if Hunt does this or not -- I am just stating this as a general matter.

sportscentury......

Hunt Auctions is very fair in their representation of their items. To come out and make statements that may lead a potential bidder to feel negatively about bidding on an item is not what they are in business to do, and consigners wouldn't like it either.

However, Hunt does take the high road and they do make differentiations in the wording of their items up for auction.....hence, the reason for this thread.

I have no problem with the way they handle these particular items. The potential buyers of these items need to use common sense and a bit of cerebral fortitude when reading the descriptions. If there is any question on the authenticity of the item based on the description, the bidder has plenty of time before the auction ends to ask anything they mad want to know.

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
sportscentury......

Hunt Auctions is very fair in their representation of their items. To come out and make statements that may lead a potential bidder to feel negatively about bidding on an item is not what they are in business to do, and consigners wouldn't like it either.

However, Hunt does take the high road and they do make differentiations in the wording of their items up for auction.....hence, the reason for this thread.

I have no problem with the way they handle these particular items. The potential buyers of these items need to use common sense and a bit of cerebral fortitude when reading the descriptions. If there is any question on the authenticity of the item based on the description, the bidder has plenty of time before the auction ends to ask anything they mad want to know.

I don't have a problem with Hunt's terminology. However, sometimes even fair terminology can be confusing. This very thread is proof. When terminology is clarified/defined up front, it prevents said confusion. I would also bet that it adds to bidder/buyer comfort. Again, this is not addressed to Hunt; it's a general observation that applies equally to all sellers/auction houses.

tknorm
05-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I think we all agree that Hunt is classy and above board, with no intent of deception, which is commendable. Perhaps a glossary of terms on their site with these descriptions would solve the issue. Regardless, I am happy that I now understand the differences. Thanks for chiming in, guys.