PDA

View Full Version : 1941 High School Football Uniform Info Wanted

cordovacollector
05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
No need for extensive research here, guys, but just wondering if you can tell me anything about the football uniforms in this photo. The year should be 1941 and the colors are blue and gold. It's a 6-man football team. The town was Frost, Minnesota, and the population was about 175, so it's likely the uniforms were just ordered from the local hardware store. Can you identify a player's postion by their number?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/272818/Frost_Played_6-Man_Football.jpg

Here's a little background trivia. I graduated from high school in 1971 and was 6' tall ... a little unusual for the day for a girl. (Unfortunately it was pre-Title 9 and it was illegal for girls to play sports in school in Minnesota. sigh ....) So, can you guess which fella in the photo is my Dad??

I am wondering about what position Dad played (other than half a goal post!). Yeah, he's #33. I know they played both offense and defense - it's only a 6-man team - he probably had to be a cheerleader too. Dad also played basketball and was famous in town for the two points he scored for the other team when he forgot they switched sides at the jump after half time. (Did I mention we are also Norwegian?) He always had a soft spot for Jim Marshall who scored a touchdown for the opposing team as a Viking.

It's hard to imagine that just a year after this photo, at 19, Dad and some of the other guys in the photo enlisted in the Navy for WWII. Dad served for nearly four years on an LST. He is my all-time Hero. He passed away at 55 years old and I still think of him every day. We were best friends, and as they used to say, "I grew up in his back pocket." We went everywhere together. He took me to my first Twins game in 1961 and I got Harmon Killebrew's autograph down on the field ... red ink pen in a little 3-ring binder note book. Still have it! And now all these years later I am blessed that Harmon is a friend.

As long as I am being nostalgic, I think the best line ever written in a baseball song is:

"Harmon Killebrew, did you ever get my letter? Ten pages of clear blue sky ...."

Ahhhh, isn't life good?

Heh, and yes, if anyone can find that jersey, you know I'd sell my house for it! And just think, I've already done the photomatching. How easy can I make this for ya???

cordovacollector
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Not certain if this works for everyone, but here's a link to the Harmon Killebrew song. In the righthand box select #8 and it pops up in Windows Media Player.

If you're a Twins fan and this doesn't give ya goosebumps ... ya must be dead. smile

cordovacollector
05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Forgot to add the link:

http://www.jeffarundel.com/music.html?album=ridetheride

sox83cubs84
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Someone may have different information, but, unlike today's NFL, IMHO back then numbers weren't automatically issued by position, and, to my knowledge, still aren't today on the prep or college levels. Red Grange, for example, wore #77 as a Bears running back...today that number goes to linemen. Lou Groza wore a number with the Browns that wasn't a kicker number by today's standards, which I believe went into effect sometime around the AFL/NFL merger, although active players could be grandfather in with their old numbers (a la John Hadl's #21).

Dave M.
Chicago area

smittyark
05-15-2009, 08:40 AM
There is a chance someone, or the younger brother of someone, in that photo is still amongst the living. Perhaps check to see if there is a local newspaper, website, or such to see if you can locate another team member to get your information.