PDA

View Full Version : Don Mattingly bat question

worldchamps
05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
I think this has been discussed, but I want to confirm. A Don Mattingly M110 bat with a finish coating.....Is this a possible game used bat, or no chance?

Thanks

BULBUS
05-05-2006, 11:01 AM
worldchamps, go back a page or two to see the threads on the mattingly bats.

i sent a 1984 M110 with the finish to PSA and they declined it. they declined it because of the finish and the weight was too heavy. what is the weight of your bat?

a friend of mattingly told me that don didnt use finished bats or black bats (until later in his career) because of the glare.

i would never touch a mattingly bat with the finish, unless it is a black cooper, rawlings, or lousville slugger, which are from later in his career.

worldchamps
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I don't know the weight, I am an amatuer. It is a Louisville Slugger.

MSpecht
05-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Worldchamps--

Here is the Mattingly thread that would be of most interest to you:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1500

Jim Caravello is the most knowlegable Mattingly bat guy around, but unfortunately he is out of the ciountry for a few weeks, probably looking for game-used soccer jerseys or something. Anyway, I will be happy to furnish you with specific info from Mattingly's H & B factory records if you could narrow the time frame for me. Any of the three sites below will give you the information.

1) To find the correct H & B label period, one good site is Jeff Scott's www.BirdBats.com (http://www.BirdBats.com) ... click on 'Identifying Gamers' on the top menu and proceed from there.

2) Another easy to use site is www.BoomBats.com (http://www.BoomBats.com) and click on the Bat Information Section part of the menu.

3) Finally, Andy Benish has a great site at www.VintageBats.com (http://www.VintageBats.com) ... check out the Bat Labeling Information section of the menu.

Anyway, after you have determined the H & B label period, post the period along with the length of the bat, and I will post the relevent factory records info for you.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

BULBUS
05-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Mike, Jim if you're back,

Did Mattingly ever order an S318?

Thanks

MSpecht
05-11-2006, 05:29 PM
A review of Mattingly's H & B factory records between 03/05/1980 and 12/13/1995, plus post-career records between 02/16/1996 and 11/19/2003 do not document any orders/shipments of Don Mattingly Model S318 bats.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

BULBUS
05-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.
-Chris

JimCaravello
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi Members - I am back from my trip. I didn't pick up any game used soccer items in Italy, although I had many chances to buy "Game Issued" jerseys!! Its amazing how Italy and all of Europe embraces soccer and everyone sells jerseys all across the country.

A quick story from my trip last year - we were eating dinner one night at very much a local's place in the small town of Montecatini Terme and a soccer game was on TV - the game in which someone threw something out of the stands and injured the goalie? It was April of last year. Some of you probably remember the game. We were with the locals as we had eaten at this place earlier in the week ( food was unbelievable ) and we hit it off with him on the first night with the little poor Italian that I speak and on our second visit he sat us with the locals in the back of the restaurant. It was unbelievable - it was 9:00 PM or so - many local kids in there - it was like watching Monday Night Football! Everyone in that restaurant was glued to the TV screen and when the goalie got hit - the language started flying and even I knew what it meant!! I had never seen fans anywhere focus on not just that event, but the entire game. I thought I was an avid fan of baseball and I really am, but the intensity in that restaurant was unlike anything I had ever seen in my life - anywhere. They would eat but not look at the food - their eyes were glued to the widescreen on the wall - very little conversation at all until the "bomb" came flying fromt he stands. Probably more than you wanted to know - but I thought it was very interesting. Needless to say, we were with another American couple and we kept our conversation very light that night.........

Mike - thanks for handling the questions while I was gone. Looks like a few came across the board.

I wanted to post just a short comment or two on this new Mattingly thread. As mentioned below, I would stay away from finished Mattingly Louisville Slugger bats from the 80's and 90's. The bats I have owned from the 90's also lacked any finish. Please note that unfinished bats will tend to look like they have somewhat of a satin finish with a lot of use and if you see a heavily used Mattingly Louisville Slugger that appears to have a satin finish, its from use and being thrown around in the bat rack, on the ground, etc. The unfinished bat picks up every little nick, scratch, etc. and creates what appears to be a satin finish. I have three bats in my collection that are from the 80's and are heavily used and you would think they came from the factory with some type of stain or wax finish.

Also - Mattingly used Cooper bats and Worth bats in the 80's and they were finished. I have owned two of each - both legitimate gamers and both had a finish on them.

If I can answer any other questions on Mattingly bats, please let me know. I plan on creating a new blog over the next few weeks specifically on Mattingly game used bats. I have been fortunate to own over 25 of his bats over the years - not trying to brag or anything - he's always been my guy from a collecting standpoint - so I plan on sharing as much as I know when I post the blog as I know there are many others who share the same passion for his equipment as I do.

Glad to be back in the states................Jim Caravello

Yankwood
05-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Jim, how many years did Don use the black T141? Thanks, Terry-nice to have you back.

JimCaravello
05-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Terry - thanks - glad to be back. Mattingly had two orders of black T141 bats in 1992 - 24 pieces on 2/12/92 and 24 more pieces on 3/31/92. His next order of black T141 model bats was in 1995 - he had three separate orders in 1995 with a total of 48 pieces ordered. Donnie also ordered black C243 model bats in the 90's - more specifically in 1992 and 1993. Hope that helps! Jim