PDA

View Full Version : BMH - Hard Ash vs. Maple

allstarsplus
05-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Brian - I just got these Adam Dunn Nationals bats. Ash vs. Maple. The ash bats look flame treated and show no lace impressions while the maple bats have deep lace impressions.

I noticed the same thing with Josh Hamilton ash bats.

My question is, are the flame treated ash bats that hard that they don't show lace impressions?

THANKS!

BMH
05-17-2009, 11:17 AM
That is a hard one to answer. As you know most players believe the Maple to be harder than the Ash. FT finish "supposedly" makes the surface of the bat harder by leeching out the moisture. Are the two Ash bats broken? If they are it should be cracked through the center brand. We've been having trouble with the burn brand on the C353, the angle is too great for the BB. We've started to foil brand Dunn's and Hamilton's bats to hopefully correct the problem.

skyking26
05-17-2009, 04:40 PM
That is a hard one to answer. As you know most players believe the Maple to be harder than the Ash. FT finish "supposedly" makes the surface of the bat harder by leeching out the moisture. Are the two Ash bats broken? If they are it should be cracked through the center brand. We've been having trouble with the burn brand on the C353, the angle is too great for the BB. We've started to foil brand Dunn's and Hamilton's bats to hopefully correct the problem.
Hi Brian:

Does it look like Dunn is staying with the blonde ash bats now, or do you think he'll go back to the maple 2-tones??

Robert Koppel

allstarsplus
05-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Brian - Thanks for the reply!

One of the Dunn ash bats is cracked and holo'd and had a small surface crack in the handle so I went to the date of the MLB Hologram when it said it was cracked and I watched the replay of the game and couldn't even tell he cracked it.

The other is uncracked and took a few pitches off of the end of the barrel and also didn't have any lace marks just ball marks and surface scratches.

I think the FT much have something to do with it.

With the Josh Hamilton, same thing was cracked in the handle and the bat almost looked unused but was MLB holo'd and had a couple of ball marks.

BMH
05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I haven't talked with Dunn since he moved again. I've noticed he's mainly ordered Ash but has a few Maple.

Dunn uses the Smith Clear finish on his bats. That means we have to use a really light weight billet to make the bat out of, since the finish adds an ounce of weight. With the bat as big as it is, it takes a 77oz billet to make his bat. That is light...