PDA

View Full Version : eBay Account Hacked - Question!

stkmtimo
05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone, I had a scary thing happen to me today when I find out that my eBay account had been hacked. I recently sold a Mark McGwire signed baseball and the hacker had re-listed it as a fixed value listing and then listed some Microsoft Office product in another auction with tons of add-ons.

eBay suspended account access and reversed the charges that were incurred as a result. The scary part about this is, I have no idea how anyone could have accessed my account. I'm very protective with my information, don't ever click on phishing emails and the like. I used to keep "My eBay" up throughout the day so I'm guessing I may have been hacked that way.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Luckily, eBay resolved it but I don't think I'll be using eBay much anymore. I have to be a lot more vigiliant and protective of my personal information - it's a crazy world out there!

Thanks,

Tim

3arod13
05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone, I had a scary thing happen to me today when I find out that my eBay account had been hacked. I recently sold a Mark McGwire signed baseball and the hacker had re-listed it as a fixed value listing and then listed some Microsoft Office product in another auction with tons of add-ons.

eBay suspended account access and reversed the charges that were incurred as a result. The scary part about this is, I have no idea how anyone could have accessed my account. I'm very protective with my information, don't ever click on phishing emails and the like. I used to keep "My eBay" up throughout the day so I'm guessing I may have been hacked that way.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Luckily, eBay resolved it but I don't think I'll be using eBay much anymore. I have to be a lot more vigiliant and protective of my personal information - it's a crazy world out there!

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

This happened to me also. I was actually on ebay, when I tried to list an item. My id was changed and my password didn't work. Luckily I was on ebay at the time.

I used their ebaylive, where I was able to chat with someone immdiately. They asked me questions to ensure it was me, changed my id back and I changed my password.

Scary part for me was, if I wasn't using ebay at the time, and a week went by, a lot of damage could have been done.

I now change my password frequently.

Regards, Tony

joelsabi
05-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks,

Tim

just curious if maybe you had responded to any email that seem to be from ebay but is not. it happen to me once. someone thanked me for purchasing his item on ebay and thought i might like some other items on his listings. had a brain fart and entered my password and ebayid to the link that looked like ebay.

immediately i went to ebay and changed my password. i knew right away i had done something stupid.

im just sharing in the remote possibility of this happening to anyone.

AWA85
05-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I did something similar, I think it was a paypal email that looked exactly like the real ones saying I paid $300 for something. I got worried and signed in through the email. After realizing what I did I was in contact with paypal and the bank to get things straight.

Really have to be carefull with those emails that look just like paypal and ebay.

grenda12
05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
This seriously just happened to me 2 days ago. I was freaked. I scanned my computer a bunch of times and found nothing. I was thinking that maybe it was because I was using the Motel 6 wifi when I was in IN Wed night and Thursday morning. Maybe something else is going on.

Ive never had this happened to me.

earlywynnfan
05-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Now, I know very little about computers, but can't ebay trace where the hacker input these items? Can't someone trace exactly what computer is being used, and alert authorities or possibly ban that computer from accessing ebay? I know it's work, but the safety value would be worth it.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

cordovacollector
05-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I had it happen more than once. Now I don't even go on there. I even thought of having my IP address changed.

stkmtimo
05-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks so much for the replies - it's a very scary thing when you realize you don't control your own account! My one question is why exactly do people/bots want to hack your eBay account to put up auctions in the first place? I may sound naive, but what purpose does it serve to put up an auction under someone else's name? It's very confusing.

Tim

mskwarek
05-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I work in the cyber security field, and sadly see these types of attacks on a daily basis. The hackers have an arsenal of tools at their disposal to socially engineer your username and password away from you (phishing emails to rogue/hacked wifi hotspots).

To combat the ebay/paypal side of things, I purchased a two factor id token from paypal to ensure that my username and password is never stolen - as the password is randomly generated on the fly. It is a worthwhile purchase and one that I would recommend to everyone that is an ebay/paypal user...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing_CommandDriven/securitycenter/PayPalSecurityKey-outside

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to shoot me an email.

Regards,
Mike

joelsabi
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
here a sample email you may get. i just got it.

Hello,

I see that you bid on my auction . I think that the bid price is high and maybe there is an error.

Click on the link to redirect you to my auction :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180353536928/

I will wait your email.

Thank you,

when you click the link you go
http://s290103465.onlinehome.us//signin.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI/eBayISAPI.dll.html

this is not ebay and the person hope you put in your password/userid

so be careful on any links sent. better to go the ebay.com and search the item they are referring to , in this case 180353536928. whatever. its hacking to happen.

I am forwarding this to ebay security.

sox83cubs84
06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I get fake emails purported to be from Pay Pal 2-3 times a month claiming my account would be suspended due to repeated failed log-in attempts. Never bit on any of 'em yet, and my Pay Pal account has been just fine.:)

Dave M.
Chicago area

joelsabi
06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I get fake emails purported to be from Pay Pal 2-3 times a month claiming my account would be suspended due to repeated failed log-in attempts. Never bit on any of 'em yet, and my Pay Pal account has been just fine.:)

Dave M.
Chicago area

like forwarding the emails to their respective abuse system you are preventing less savy people from being defrauded.

forward the email to spoof@paypal.com . it takes less than a minute of your time.

BULBUS
06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I had my account highjacked a few years ago. The guy was listing expensive Lakers season tickets. I emailed him and told him to give my account back. He told me to chill and that I'll get my account back in a day or two. He told me that he made 40k in one day. He was making deals off Ebay, collecting money via wire transfers I think. After I got my account back, I received emails from a couple of the persons who were swindled. I think they were SOL.

-Chris

sox83cubs84
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
like forwarding the emails to their respective abuse system you are preventing less savy people from being defrauded.

forward the email to spoof@paypal.com . it takes less than a minute of your time.

Good suggestion, Joel...I'll remember that for the next one.

Dave M.
Chicago area

kakarothusain
06-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Ya nowdays a lot of scam activities is going on in ebay.
My account was also hacked there once and from that day i neglect using ebay..http://www.pppcm.com/138l1292.jpg