PDA

View Full Version : Question about Gary Sheffield "Game Used" Jersey on eBay

trsent
05-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I have emailed the seller and my questions were not answered, so I ask on here - Can anyone comment on the following item being sold on eBay as a Game Used Gary Sheffield Jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190307468190&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&salenotsupported

I am confused, as the seller claims this jersey was worn in 2008 for The Detroit Tigers, preparred for Spring Training the next year, but Sheffield left the team before Spring Training so the jersey was never used in 2009. No problems with this, but I am confused by two points:

1. The jersey has a Letter of Authenticity from The Detroit Tigers. This letter never states the jersey was game used anywhere. It clearly reads that the jersey is "issued". I asked the seller to explain this, but the question was never addressed.

2. The jersey really looks small compared to what would fit from the images of game used jersey in the description. Any reason this jersey looks smaller than what Gary Sheffield would wear?

Hopefully someone on here has more expirence with game used Tigers jerseys than I do and they can comment.

mbrieve
05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
I have emailed the seller and my questions were not answered, so I ask on here - Can anyone comment on the following item being sold on eBay as a Game Used Gary Sheffield Jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190307468190&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&salenotsupported

I am confused, as the seller claims this jersey was worn in 2008 for The Detroit Tigers, preparred for Spring Training the next year, but Sheffield left the team before Spring Training so the jersey was never used in 2009.
I don't know where you got your information, but Sheffield did not leave the team before Spring Training in 2009. He struggled throughout Spring Training this year which led to the Tigers cutting him. Am I missing something???

No problems with this, but I am confused by two points:

1. The jersey has a Letter of Authenticity from The Detroit Tigers. This letter never states the jersey was game used anywhere. It clearly reads that the jersey is "issued". I asked the seller to explain this, but the question was never addressed.
I can't comment on this without having the jersey in hand, however, I know that the Tigers will often put "issued" on most of their COAs unless it is MLB authenticated. I have a bat that is absolutely hammered by Carlos Guillen, has all of his characteristics and markings, but Mark would only put "issued" on the COA since it did not have an MLB authentication sticker.

2. The jersey really looks small compared to what would fit from the images of game used jersey in the description. Any reason this jersey looks smaller than what Gary Sheffield would wear?

Hopefully someone on here has more expirence with game used Tigers jerseys than I do and they can comment.
All game used Gary Sheffield jerseys that I have seen come from his Tigers games seemed to be hemmed at the bottom. This jersey looks completely legit to me. I know the Tigers cleaned house after Sheffield was released and were offering his leftovers for sale. I'm sure this is where the jersey comes from. On top of that, this seems to be a very reputable seller.

Hope this helps!

kingjammy24
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
..Sheffield left the team before Spring Training so the jersey was never used in 2009.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5310/sillyp.jpg

rudy.

mbrieve
05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5310/sillyp.jpg

rudy.
No wonder Sheffield sucked for the Tigers during ST, his brother Dave was filling in for him (good catch getty images!).

trsent
05-21-2009, 01:17 AM
rudy.

Funny caption. The jersey is hard to photo match from that image as the 3 in the auction listing goes down over the "E" while the batting shot goes over the "I" but he is swinging so it is hard to use for a dead on match since the jersey is stretching. Cool to know that he played in the spring, the seller thought otherwise as I will post in my next post.

trsent
05-21-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't know where you got your information, but Sheffield did not leave the team before Spring Training in 2009. He struggled throughout Spring Training this year which led to the Tigers cutting him. Am I missing something???

I can't comment on this without having the jersey in hand, however, I know that the Tigers will often put "issued" on most of their COAs unless it is MLB authenticated. I have a bat that is absolutely hammered by Carlos Guillen, has all of his characteristics and markings, but Mark would only put "issued" on the COA since it did not have an MLB authentication sticker.

All game used Gary Sheffield jerseys that I have seen come from his Tigers games seemed to be hemmed at the bottom. This jersey looks completely legit to me. I know the Tigers cleaned house after Sheffield was released and were offering his leftovers for sale. I'm sure this is where the jersey comes from. On top of that, this seems to be a very reputable seller.

Hope this helps!

Great information. The seller led me to believe that he didn't play in the spring in the following message:

"His gamer for 2008. As is common practice with the Tigers, their previous season shirts are carried into spring training. As noted on the tag wih the RS (road spring) 09 (2009). Sheff. was traded before spring, thus, "issued" for spring.

Hope this assists your client.

Howard Wolf"

I guess this helps more determine that this jersey was possibly used in the spring, not prepared as I was told.

I still do not understand why the jersey has a letter from The Tigers that is so vague, but from what you have offered me, please confirm that you would feel good buying this as a game used 2008 regular season jersey that carried over into 2009 Spring Training.

I appreciate all your help and knowledge.

hblakewolf
05-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Great information. The seller led me to believe that he didn't play in the spring in the following message:

"His gamer for 2008. As is common practice with the Tigers, their previous season shirts are carried into spring training. As noted on the tag wih the RS (road spring) 09 (2009). Sheff. was traded before spring, thus, "issued" for spring.

Howard Wolf"

I guess this helps more determine that this jersey was possibly used in the spring, not prepared as I was told.

I still do not understand why the jersey has a letter from The Tigers that is so vague, but from what you have offered me, please confirm that you would feel good buying this as a game used 2008 regular season jersey that carried over into 2009 Spring Training.

I appreciate all your help and knowledge.

Interesting post, Joel. Glad your concerns have been put to rest, and your "client" and you can bid a bit easier.

As a side note, In your inital post you mention, "I have emailed the seller and my questions were not answered, so I ask on here - Can anyone comment on the following item being sold on eBay as a Game Used Gary Sheffield Jersey". Yet above, you now post one of the various responses I sent you through Ebay. Based on your most recet reply, it appears you're once again confused and making your usual type of posts that are filled with error. Do you remeber our exchange on Ebay? Do you know what day of the week this is? What color the sky is?

Here's the ebay exchange/responses I directly answered to you, in order before you started this thread :

Dear trsent,

Your confused state appears to be a common issue, Joel.

The jersey shows nice use from being worn on the road in 2008, and as noted, was intended for Sheff's use in spring training 2009. Possibly the LOA is referencing the fact it was issued for 2009 spring.

Hope this clears up your confusion.
Howard
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Dear trsent,

His gamer for 2008. As is common practice with the Tigers, their previous season shirts are carried into spring training. As noted on the tag wih the RS (road spring) 09 (2009). Sheff. was traded before spring, thus, "issued" for spring.

Howard Wolf
Hblakewof
- __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Dear trsent,

Joel, as I've noted before, I have no interest in communicating or conducting business with you.

Proceed accordingly.

Howard Wolf
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Howard, I have reviewed all details and I feel fine having my customer bid on this as a game used 2008 jersey, prepared for use in spring training, 2009.
If I have misunderstood anything with the statements above, please advise.

- trsent

__________________________________________________ ______________________
My error about being cut before spring-sorry!

Howard Wolf
hblkaewolf@comcast.net

jdr3
05-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Joel,

Why do you refer to Howard as "the seller" when everyone on this forum knows that you know him by name? Your “client” should know that his business is reputable and reliable as reflected by his 100% feedback. Please inform your “client” the feedback system is intended to inform potential buyers if a seller is trustworthy, as Howard obviously is. Does anyone really need a third party, such as your "client," to be certain they should bid on something on ebay? Should I get a third party to investigate, on my behalf, all items I want to buy on on ebay like your "client"? Can you investigate the authenticity of some old McDonalds Hamburgler glasses for me? I don't want to get stuck with those black market Hamburgler knockoffs. You are trying to irritate Howard, with whom you have well known issues, and could not care less about this jersey.

mvandor
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
The Howard/Joel wars continue I see.

both-teams-played-hard
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Joel,

Why do you refer to Howard as "the seller" when everyone on this forum knows that you know him by name? Your “client” should know that his business is reputable and reliable as reflected by his 100% feedback. Please inform your “client” the feedback system is intended to inform potential buyers if a seller is trustworthy, as Howard obviously is. Does anyone really need a third party, such as your "client," to be certain they should bid on something on ebay? Should I get a third party to investigate, on my behalf, all items I want to buy on on ebay like your "client"? Can you investigate the authenticity of some old McDonalds Hamburgler glasses for me? I don't want to get stuck with those black market Hamburgler knockoffs. You are trying to irritate Howard, with whom you have well known issues, and could not care less about this jersey.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2122/sheffield.jpg

nyjetsfan14
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
The Howard/Joel wars continue I see.

You haven't been there and done that recently as well?

mvandor
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
You haven't been there and done that recently as well?

I've taken Joel to task on issues, yes, just as I've supported him on a recent debate where we were in the decided minority in the discussion.

trsent
05-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Excuse me, I didn't bring up the seller by name since the concern is not a personal issue. A client of mine asked me to look at this jersey so he could determine if he should bid or not. My first question to Howard Wolf was blind, as I didn't even notice who the seller was when I sent the original email.

Howard's reply misses the point - He refused to answer why the team LOA doesn't mention game use and just shows the jersey as "Issued". I came on here and one person offered his knowledge of Tigers letters.

I hope Howard feels better that we found this jersey was worn in Spring Training since he previously emailed me that it was not.

I am still awaiting a reply to my last post because we still have no clue that the jersey was game worn in 2008 except for one person stating that the Tigers letters often state "Issued" but that doesn't completely clear up the questions.

Howard Wolf posted some of the emails back and fourth, but he didn't respond to my last two. I believe I have the right, according to his standards, to ask questions of anyone selling anything to the public weather I am a registered bidder or not with them and even though we have found that Sheffield played in 2009 Spring games for The Tigers, I am confused about the proof of game use in 2008 still.

Finally, Jim Reed, do you ever post anything except for attacks towards me and my posts? Find something useful to use your time towards as the personal attacks are getting old and fast. Your last seven posts (and maybe more since some have been removed) have attacked me and my posts. Do you have anything constructive to add to any discussions?

This thread was useful until the usual crowd turned it into a silly game by the usual crowd.

I think we have learned more about the jersey in question from this thread and there is still more to learn about the Tigers use of the term "Issued" in the team letters.

jdr3
05-21-2009, 02:54 PM
You expect me to believe that you did not notice Howard was the seller? Secondly, your dislike of Howard is well known on this forum, which would lead any reasonable person to conclude this was in some way a personal shot at Howard on your part. I am not the only person who has posted rebuttals to your constantly argumentative points of view. If you find my rebuttals to your posts offensive it might be because the truth is sometimes very painful. While your post masqueraded as dealing with a legitimate game used item, a reasonable person would submit that it's true purpose was to dish out a cheap shot at Howard. Who goes on ebay and does not look at the seller’ immediately? Certainly not someone as inquisitive as yourself.

trsent
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
You expect me to believe that you did not notice Howard was the seller? Secondly, your dislike of Howard is well known on this forum, which would lead any reasonable person to conclude this was in some way a personal shot at Howard on your part. I am not the only person who has posted rebuttals to your constantly argumentative points of view. If you find my rebuttals to your posts offensive it might be because the truth is sometimes very painful. While your post masqueraded as dealing with a legitimate game used item, a reasonable person would submit that it's true purpose was to dish out a cheap shot at Howard. Who goes on ebay and does not look at the seller’ immediately? Certainly not someone as inquisitive as yourself.

Jim, eight posts in a row attacking me?

Please do not look inside my brain - Have your friends at the FBI do that work and please stay out of my business unless you have something to discuss about the issues at hand and not attacking me time and time again.

I didn't notice who the seller was - I do not generally look at sellers user IDs when bidding. I was asked to look at an item - No "cheap shots" were taken - Even though Howard Wolf has questioned items I have sold on eBay on this forum without contacting me first. If I had noticed who the seller was I would have addressed Howard Wolf by name in my initial email, but this I did not do because I didn't notice while emailing from a computer at my hotel in St. Louis.

I had a client ask me to look at something - There is a genuine concern about the letter from The Tigers that has not been address by the seller. This thread should help show the jersey was used for Spring Training 2009, which it appears the seller did not know.

Now - do you have anything to add about the jersey I asked about or is your life just to attack my posts time and time again?