PDA

View Full Version : OT: Earliest hobby purchase on the internet

joelsabi
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
just curious as to who has the earliest purchase on the intenet that is hobby related. i imagine it was around 1995 when the internet was becoming popular. what did you purchase?
what website?
how has your collection changed since your internet usage?

joelsabi
05-20-2009, 09:32 PM
just curious as to who has the earliest purchase on the intenet that is hobby related. i imagine it was around 1995 when the internet was becoming popular. what did you purchase?
what website?
how has your collection changed since your internet usage?

what month, year was the purchase?

AWA85
05-20-2009, 10:11 PM
This bad boy helped me find GUU.

joelsabi
05-20-2009, 10:27 PM

haha my first experience on the mac was on a mac too.

i went over my ebay history and i think my first purchase was in 1999. I bought a "rare" australia poster of kobe bryant from some dude in australia and thought that was pretty amazing that you could find hobby related things from other countries. small purchases and thats how it was for me for a long time on the internet. rather make a phone call and buy something that way or go in person to a show.

Mr.3000
05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
The earliest Ebay purchase that I can recall was a 1998 Stadium Club CoSigner dual auto Derek Jeter/Scott Rolen. And I think my 2nd purchase was the Tony Gwynn/Larry Walker from the same set.

jonincleve
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM
i go back on ebay to feb 1998. before that i would do listings and deals on AOL classifieds which puts me in the 1995-96 range.

take care
john

Mr.3000
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
i go back on ebay to feb 1998. before that i would do listings and deals on AOL classifieds which puts me in the 1995-96 range.

take care
john

I remember the AOL rooms. Gosh that seems like forever ago. I think it was AOL SPORTSCARDS, the one I hung out in alot.

cordovacollector
05-21-2009, 06:46 PM
My first memorable online purchase was early '96 when I bought Marty Cordova pre-minor league things from his website. Stuff from junior and senior high, Japan, college, etc.

The first computer I used was a Radio Shack Model 8 - with 8" floppies nearly as big as an old record album. First one I owned was a Radio Shack Model 3 - TRS-80. No software at the time, you had to write everything yourself in Basic. I thought I was soooo cool :cool: when I bought my Model 4P - a "portable." Must have been 1986. I think my first modem was 8 or 16K.

Actually, the first computer I used/saw for a day was in high school. We went to a local university and got to make punch cards and run them through.

Oy.

cordovacollector
05-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Now that photo brought back great rivaly memories!!! Like, "Why use a rotten Apple?" Or, "Does TRS-80 really mean Trash80?" Apple got the school kids. Mac rans circles around everything - but no software. And now I am not sure Radio Shack even sells batteries anymore, no less computers.

Capital-Sports
05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
My first online purchase was 30 Barry Larkin cards for $1.00 off Yahoo auctions. I think it was in late 97, or early 98 and I never ever received those cards. Then I found eBay! I remember I used to hang out in the AOL chat rooms to and try to get deals on baseball cards. I was 13 when I first started buying and selling on the internet.

NEFAN
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
1997, on eBay. Guy was selling a Sam "Bam" Cunningham Patriots game presentation ball. I was the only bidder at $40 and diddn't meet the $65 reserve. He wound up selling it to me for $60 shipped. It's now in the Patriots Museum.

Tay1038
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I have a great story!

My first purchase was on eBay when I was 11 or 12 years old back in 1998-99' era. My first purchase was actually a pair of game used Minnesota Twins bats - Greg Colbrunn & Brent Gates. When I met the gentleman with my dad at his apartment near the University of Minnesota campus - he kindly welcomed us in and even gave me a FREE bat -Brent Brede Twins bat to go with my other stuff! Whata guy I thought! I remember seeing a lot of his stuff - which was awesome! In particular I was in awwwww over his 500 HR club signed photo by every member hung in his little living room in his college apartment! At the age of 12 - you bet it was pretty sweet to see that! Signatures of Mantle, Aaron, Killebrew, Jackson, Banks...ect

The best part of this purchase is that I bought from Andy Benish (when he was a young college student) - who is a member of the forum, a major asset to this hobby and considered one of my good friends in the collecting world! I have been able to keep in contact with Andy over the years growing up and have obtained some great items for my collection from him. He has always answered every question I have had and is always willing to educate me on memorabilia. Without Andy's kindness, willingness to share and knowledge my collection would not be where it's at today! Thank you my friend for everything!

Taylor