PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Shipping and Packing Tips

cordovacollector
05-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Was wondering about all these shipping incidents with bats "falling" out of the mailing tubes and disappearing.

Ya know that clear packaging tape is cheap and everyone has it handy but with one little tear it can sorta explode and tear away easier than a cheap football jersey. And it is incredibly easy to razor cut. So it "might" be an accident if it falls out. But in the case of delivery-guy thieves, I say make 'em work harder to get it out of the box/tube without making it look so innocent.

When I pack a bat, I first make sure I have wrapped the pinetar with saran wrap (oh the poor guy that had to pick all the foam peanut debris out of his bat handle with a tweezer!!!) ... and same thing if there is an autograph, wrap it up ... but if it is signed with a silver or gold pen, I put a bit of tissue paper over the signature because sometimes if it gets hot on a summer day in a truck, the metallic ink will melt on the plastic. I used to save the plastic sleeves bat tubes came in and would put the bats in ones of those. Then I make sure to stuff the gaps in the box/tube with bubble wrap so it won't rattle around or bump up and down in a way that "could" cause a bat explode out the bottom like a post driver.

Then at the ends I always use "the handyman's secret weapon" (I learn so much from Red Green). I use the nastiest, thickest Duct Tape and criss-cross it over the ends and then make circles around the overlap on the sides. It isn't EVER going to accidentally fall out and if they are gonna steal it, it is going to look like someone stole it with a sharp knife!

So ... anyone got any other good shipping and packing tips?

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy ...."

joelsabi
05-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Then at the ends I always use "the handyman's secret weapon" (I learn so much from Red Green). I use the nastiest, thickest Duct Tape and criss-cross it over the ends and then make circles around the overlap on the sides. It isn't EVER going to accidentally fall out and if they are gonna steal it, it is going to look like someone stole it with a sharp knife!

So ... anyone got any other good shipping and packing tips?

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy ...."

thick, nasty, sticky tape is a great deterrent. sometime i have difficulty get the package opened myself and i know what its in it. i would think anyone else would try to steal something a little easier. i have had packages that looked like they were looked into but wasnt sure. could have just been a poor tape job by the seller.

just dont make it took difficult or there may be a collector injury. :D

cordovacollector
05-21-2009, 02:46 AM
just dont make it took difficult or there may be a collector injury. :D

That's the funniest one-liner comeback I have heard in a month!!!!!!

Thanks for the good laff!

orioles03
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
that is why i always go to the ups store get a mailing tube it cost 5 dollars never had a problem then put the bat in a sanitary sock the big long white ones for autographs then use half a roll of tape never had a problem,