PDA

View Full Version : Spots On Bats?? Does Anyone Know Why??

tone1316
05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Strange Question... I Have Just Received A New Miguel Cabrera Bat From The Tigers Today.. This Is My 4th Cabrera Bat And 2nd With A Strange Black Dot On The Barrel... I Didn't Think Anything Of It Until I Tried To Photo Match It And Found Another Bat From Months Before With The Same Dot... That Reminded Me Of A Post I Saw About A Pujols Photo Match Marucci Bat That Has The Same Dot... Does Anyone Know If This Has Any Meaning? I Know Cabrera Practices Santaria... Any Religious Meaning? He Also Puts Lines Or Cross's On Many Of His Bats.. And I Know Pudge Does This As Well.. Any Idea On That One??? Maybe One Of You Knows....

allstarsplus
05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
That mark designates the bat as maple.

yanks12025
05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Are you talking about on the handles of Marucci bats. I think the black dot shows that it's a maple bat. Someone said it in a past post why it's there.

Mr.3000
05-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Tone, not able to help with your question..but I'd love to see a pic of the bat if you ever get the chance.

tone1316
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
i guess i have to add... the mark is not on a cabrera marucci bat.. and it is def put there by someone.... wouldn't the player know if the bat was maple or not.. my bat in question is a phoenix bat.. and i believe all that he orders them in are maple...

And Mr. 3000 I'll post pics when i get a chance...

suicide_squeeze
05-21-2009, 10:14 PM
If I remember correctly, the bats are spotted with ink to see if they bleed more than 1/4 of an inch. If they do, they are rejected.

It has something to do with the grain of the maple. If the spot gets too large, the bat doesn't meet MLB specifications because it's too pourous, and is a danger to be likely to explode.

suicide_squeeze
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
If I remember correctly, the bats are spotted with ink to see if they bleed more than 1/4 of an inch. If they do, they are rejected.

It has something to do with the grain of the maple. If the spot gets too large, the bat doesn't meet MLB specifications because it's too pourous, and is a danger to be likely to explode.

.......um, after reading what I just posted.....let me expand the definition highlighted.....

likely to explode upon impact with a baseball in game use like some maple bats seem prone to do.....

There....that sounds better:o

FanofGriffey3
05-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Tone, could you please email me when you get a minute. I have a couple of questions for you. Thanks so much. Chris

cbcjetsfan@aol.com

xpress34
05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, the Black Dot is part of the new Major League program concerning Maple Bats.

ALL Maple Bats are now supposed to have LIGHT colored handles so the grain can be easily examined. The 'dot' is a special ink that if it runs up and down the grain is supposedly fine, but if it starts to bleed in a diagonal direction or across the grain, indicates that the wood grain may have an issue that could cause an 'exploding bat' and the bat will be removed from play.

All the best -

Chris

tone1316
05-22-2009, 11:52 AM
thanks for all your help on this one guys.. it makes sense....