PDA

View Full Version : aeneas01 - Other helmet experts- 2 helmets, same player, same year?

Jags Fan Dan
05-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Helmet experts,
I came across this helmet in an auction and also another on Mr. Yackels site, appear to be the same helmet, same year (American Memorabilia auction site says 1995-1996, but the clips are wrong for 1995), but there are differences. I see the interior padding is vastly different. The auction company states that the clips are incorrect on theirs, but I do not (or cannot) see what they are talking about. Here are the helmets:

nyjetsfan14
05-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Helmet experts,
I came across this helmet in an auction and also another on Mr. Yackels site, appear to be the same helmet, same year (American Memorabilia auction site says 1995-1996, but the clips are wrong for 1995), but there are differences. I see the interior padding is vastly different. The auction company states that the clips are incorrect on theirs, but I do not (or cannot) see what they are talking about. Here are the helmets:

Not speaking at all on the helmets in your post: I know it is popular to believe that many players wore one or maybe two helmets their entire career - and we know that was indeed the case with some. However, there were Jets players who wore multiple helmets in the same season and several different throughout their careers. Happy collecting and I am sure some members will shed more light on the helmets in your post.

May we always remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy the freedoms God so intended us to have. Happy Memorial Day to all!

Jags Fan Dan
05-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Not speaking at all on the helmets in your post: I know it is popular to believe that many players wore one or maybe two helmets their entire career - and we know that was indeed the case with some. However, there were Jets players who wore multiple helmets in the same season and several different throughout their careers. Happy collecting and I am sure some members will shed more light on the helmets in your post.

May we always remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy the freedoms God so intended us to have. Happy Memorial Day to all!
I will go along with the different helmets possibility, but why is the padding different? Different years? And also I would love for aeneas01 to point out all of the stuff that I am not seeing that separate these 2 lids.

helmets
05-24-2009, 07:52 AM
The Yackel helmet is a VSR4, while the AMI helmet is an AF2

Jags Fan Dan
05-25-2009, 06:45 AM
I recall from a past thread that it is unknown if Brunell ever wore an AF2.

aeneas01
05-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I recall from a past thread that it is unknown if Brunell ever wore an AF2.

i believe i mentioned in a past thread that the photos i came across at the time suggested brunell may have sported a vsr4 throughout most of his time with the jags but that's not the case, brunell actually wore several different riddell models when with the jags including an af2 (ami helmet), a vsr3, perhaps a vsr4 (yackel helmet), and a revolution.

as you've already deduced, the rear decal numbers on both the ami and yackel helmets date the lid to no later than 1996 given that in 1997 the jags switched to a different number style. of course, i suppose, the equipment manager could have taken a reconditioned brunell helmet from a later year, dressed it with older decals, for a charity auction or the like.

anyway, assuming the unlikely scenario mentioned above wasn't the case, we're looking at 1995 and 1996 as possibilities, two years that brunell can be seen sporting an af2 (ami), not a vsr4 (yackel). in fact it looks he wore an af2 through at least 1998, maybe a vsr4 in 1999 (although i don't think so), a vsr3 from 2000-2001 and a revo for the remainder of his time in jacksonville.

imo the yackel helmet isn't a brunell gamer and the ami helmet is nothing more than a very nice jags helmet, perhaps an authentic jags helmet, that brunell signed. it just strikes me as too mint, the chinstrap is wrong, the clips are wrong and the nape padding isn't a match. also, was brunell's helmet ever fitted with a teal riddell logo (above the warning label) in '95 or '96? some jags can be seen sporting this type of decal during those years but i haven't seen a 95-96 photo of brunell with it.

btw did you notice that ami had another signed af2 brunell "gamer" listed in 2005 (described as a 97/98 lid)? the starting bid was $200 but there were no takers, it didn't sell. so that's what, 3 circa 95-97 brunell "gamers"?

Jags Fan Dan
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
i believe i mentioned in a past thread that the photos i came across at the time suggested brunell may have sported a vsr4 throughout most of his time with the jags but that's not the case, brunell actually wore several different riddell models when with the jags including an af2 (ami helmet), a vsr3, perhaps a vsr4 (yackel helmet), and a revolution.

as you've already deduced, the rear decal numbers on both the ami and yackel helmets date the lid to no later than 1996 given that in 1997 the jags switched to a different number style. of course, i suppose, the equipment manager could have taken a reconditioned brunell helmet from a later year, dressed it with older decals, for a charity auction or the like.

anyway, assuming the unlikely scenario mentioned above wasn't the case, we're looking at 1995 and 1996 as possibilities, two years that brunell can be seen sporting an af2 (ami), not a vsr4 (yackel). in fact it looks he wore an af2 through at least 1998, maybe a vsr4 in 1999 (although i don't think so), a vsr3 from 2000-2001 and a revo for the remainder of his time in jacksonville.

imo the yackel helmet isn't a brunell gamer and the ami helmet is nothing more than a very nice jags helmet, perhaps an authentic jags helmet, that brunell signed. it just strikes me as too mint, the chinstrap is wrong, the clips are wrong and the nape padding isn't a match. also, was brunell's helmet ever fitted with a teal riddell logo (above the warning label) in '95 or '96? some jags can be seen sporting this type of decal during those years but i haven't seen a 95-96 photo of brunell with it.

btw did you notice that ami had another signed af2 brunell "gamer" listed in 2005 (described as a 97/98 lid)? the starting bid was $200 but there were no takers, it didn't sell. so that's what, 3 circa 95-97 brunell "gamers"?

As always, invaluable and much appreciated info. I'd really like to find a Brunell game used helmet that I can fully believe in, but I don't know if it will ever happen.