PDA

View Full Version : Herschel Walker Jersey-real or fake

RKGIBSON
05-24-2009, 10:12 AM
This is a Herschel Walker Georgia jersey that I need proof, and opinions, on the authenticity of. I bought it with the understanding that it was a photo matched item. The seller sent me pictures of several that he had and ask me which one I wanted. He said he had one that was photo matched so I told him that that was the only one I would buy. When the jersey showed up there was no photo or tape, as I was promised, to validate it. After back and forth for a while with the seller, who is a member here, he quit responding or answering my phone calls. Since, I have spent a lot of time trying to find a 100% game match or a 100% style match. Attached are photos of about every aspect of the jersey to form opinions. A lot of fake Walkers have been sold by auction houses in the time since I bought this one, most from the same source. Real Walker jerseys are rare but I do know of one that is owned by a forum member. Anyone having GA jersey from common players could prove or disprove some of my concerns.

Some of my concerns are;
The sleeve numbers
The block size on the front & rear numbers
The way the repairs are made
Tag stitching

Roger

RKGIBSON
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
A couple extra photos of the repairs and wear. If any more are needed tell me what?

Roger

beantown
05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Roger,

Hello... I came across this website that may help you....

http://www.dawgbone.net/oldschoolarchives.html (http://www.dawgbone.net/oldschoolarchives.html)

Here is a Walker photo from that site...I enlarged the tail tag and it appears to be a size 46...

Chris

beantown
05-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Another photo in a Size 46....IMO...the fonts looks "thicker" in this photo...

UGA-1
05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Herschel Walker wore two sizes during his UGA career. Most of 1980 he used a size 46. The next two years he wore a size 48. The photo from the dawgbone site looks to be from the 1980 UGA/GT game. The photo on the SI cover is also from the 1980 season. In the 1981 UGA/Tennessee game walker used a different style jersey that was longer and was tucked in during the first half of the game. It had NNOB. He played the second half with the shorter waist cut and it did have the NOB. The second stlye was used the rest of the season and in 1982 as well. Hope this helps.

mfsquirrelmaster
05-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Roger,
Here is a Link to a Walker jersey that was pulled from the REA's most recent auction.
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=12831

You may be able to contact them and ask about why they pulled that jersey. It may or may not be useful info for you, but worth a shot.

RKGIBSON
05-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Beantown, good to hear from you, thanks for the pictures. I have dozens of magazine from this era as well a a couple of game tapes, vs Auburn, and the sleeve numbers are too thick font. Someone has to have a GA jersey that could show the repair technique used in this time frame.

UGA-1 does your jersey have any repairs? How about a picture of the stitching on back of the tag.

I agree that his size did change during college.

Roger

UGA-1
05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Roger,
Here are some pics of several repairs on jerseys I have that are from the 1980 -1984 seasons. I have 20 + jerseys and all have this similar type of repair style. Also sent pics of two tags. The one that has a darker thread is the only jersey in my collection in which it is obvious the tagging was relocated. It even has the pin holes from previous stitching. All my other jerseys do not show signs of relocation and look like the other tag picture.

Also, I would like to get copies of any games you have with Walker.