PDA

View Full Version : MLB Hologram Placement on Game Used Items

MrOct44
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
It is surprising that after eight years of MLB authenticating game used items that there is not a standard followed around the placement of the hologram. Further, the placement of holograms in some cases makes the item less visually appealing. Do we really need them right up front and center? A Jim Thome game used jersey (on mlb.com now) and Arod hat (on eBay now) are attached as examples. Consider posting your own examples of how goofy some of these look. Imagine if PSA or JSA placed a sticker right under Babe Ruth's autograph on a photo?

tigerdale
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I couldn't agree more....the hologram is to authenticate the item....period. I have them all over in goofy spots....take a locker name plate for example....I think it should be on the back of the plate....it would do its job fine there...not front & center...even over letters or words sometimes...yes, there should be a type of standard placement.

MarinersFan34
05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that the Authenticators that are hired are not big collectors if at all. I heard that there are 1-2 for each team and are on hand every night.

Actually getting the authentication right in the system is a whole other issue. I recently bought one bat(exchanged it for a good one) and was about to buy another and both had wrong info. One was listed as a top half of another players bat and the second was a lineup card I believe.

Lokee
05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I notice MLB likes to keep the hologram pretty close to the signature. Not in all cases but most are residing right by the signature.