PDA

View Full Version : MLB actioning off GU Mets item that was never actually used.

murfsteve25
05-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong here!

I dont know if anyone remembers or not, but on mlb.com there was a blue Joe Smith Mets batting helmet that was being sold as game used. The helmet was from last season. There were no marks on the helmet, and looked clean. I looked up Joe Smiths batting stats from the '08 season and saw that he had only 1 at bat. I thought it would be awesome to win the helmet that he wore for the 1 and only plate appearance he had in the season.

I wanted to double check and make sure the Mets wore the same color helmet during the game in which Joe had his plate appearance. I searched all over the interent for days with no luck of the information. Finally, I found it. It was last summer in Philly if i can remember correctly when Joe had the at-bat, and I found pics of the game on Getty Images. No pics of Joe, but there were of other players. All I needed were pics of a Mets player batting with a blue Mets helemt and that would confirm that the helmet on MLB.com was the exact helmet Joe wore.

Black helmet?? that makes no sence. that would mean the helmet on mlb.com is actually not game used. But why would it say that it IS in the item description??? I ended up not bidding obviously. But cant anyone explain what happened?

allstarsplus
05-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Did he wear it in Spring Training? If so, then it would be considered game used.

Other theory would be the helmet may have been issued to him while he was on the roster, and sat in the rack on a game he could have played in but didn't would be another possibility then that is probably how they found it and never researched it like you did.

Is it MLB Hologram'd?

pietraynor
05-26-2009, 07:57 AM
The only other things I can think of is that he wore it while in the on-deck circle awaiting an AB that never happened or (this is a stretch) he was a pinch-runner. Jay.

murfsteve25
05-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Those are very good theories. And if any of them are true, then thats weak. Yes the helmet did have an mlb hologram on the back of the helmet next to the mlb logo.

allstarsplus
05-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Those are very good theories. And if any of them are true, then thats weak. Yes the helmet did have an mlb hologram on the back of the helmet next to the mlb logo.

I agree any theory still would be weak which is why you were smart enough to do the research.

The MLB hologram # should give you the date it came out of use and then see if at least if he was on the bench in that game.

mattmueller
05-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I do not think this uncommon, it really depends on the meaning of "game used". MLB's definition of game used may very well be that it was in the dugout during an actual MLB game. For example, I believe the jerseys from Jackie Robinson day were sold as game used, even ones for players who did not make it into the game.

TNTtoys
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, in the context of what is being discussed here... the item for auction is a batting helmet. The MLB date was the date when they collected the item but doesn't attest to how long the player used it before they collected it. I have seen batting helmets copmpletely trashed, versus barely used at all... so I would look at it first and then draw conclusions (judging by the fact that it was brand new, it looks like you made the right decision). My guess as to where the helmet could have been used if not in actual games is during BP, not in the on deck circle.

suave1477
05-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I was about to say the say something similar to TNT.

I think it was used for BP.

Which is what they would also consider to be Game Used.

mattmueller
05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Its been a while since I watched BP before a game, but when was the last time anybody saw a player wear a helmet in BP in the majors?

metsbats
05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Helmets are definitely being used by players during batting practice.

I would think a relief pitcher would opt into wear one when given the opportunity to partake in BP.

mattmueller
05-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Huh, how about that.

suave1477
05-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I was going to add to it that its more normal you'll see a pitcher wearing a helmet during BP

Since Joe Smith is a pitcher it does make sense

suave1477
05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Helmets are definitely being used by players during batting practice.

I would think a relief pitcher would opt into wear one when given the opportunity to partake in BP.

FOR THE PICTURE OF AROD - HIS THOUGHTS

"Hmmmmmm can I sell this helmet and bat??? Ahhh what about my Jersey??? Eurekaaaa!!! I got it!!! The underwear im wearing right now!!! Yeah that will be a hot seller!!"

:D :D :D

metsbats
05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I would guess the advantage of wearing a helmet during BP would be

- Making bp more realistic to game ABs. Wearing the helmet affects your line of vision with the ear flaps
- Protect against balls ricocheting off the cages onto one's head.
- Protect against whoever is throwing bp that day.

Mr.3000
05-27-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I think selling BP items as "game used" is a shoddy business practice.

Items should be described as they are....BP used, ST game used or season game used....just as we distinguish between regular season game used and playoff game used. And if you don't know....then say you don't know.

Too much greed, not enough honesty in this hobby.

metsbats
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I think selling BP items as "game used" is a shoddy business practice.

Items should be described as they are....BP used, ST game used or season game used....just as we distinguish between regular season game used and playoff game used. And if you don't know....then say you don't know.

Too much greed, not enough honesty in this hobby.

I agree. Unfortunately the MLB definition of game used is designed to work to their advantage so that anything not really used in game play falls into that definition.

Those in the know should not fall into the trap though. There are alot of folks out there who will take the word of MLB as gold without doing research only to one day find out that they've been duped (if they try to sell it to someone who does know)