PDA

View Full Version : 1949 Yankees autographed baseball

Yankwood
05-07-2006, 11:59 AM
This is definitely not my field of expertise, so if anyone out there is knowledgeable on this type of item I would be curious to know. A friend of mine has asked me if I could find out the ballpark value of an AL baseball signed by the 1949 Yankees. All the notables are there (DiMaggio, Berra, Henrich, Reynolds, Raschi, Berra, Bauer, Rizzuot, etc). The ball is in very nice shape. Any guesses?

MSpecht
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Here's a description for a 1949 Yankees ball from a Mike Gutierrez auction (Jan '06) that ended at $612 without DiMaggio:

"25 signatures including: Berra, Rizzuto, Crosetti, Lopat, Raschi, Reynolds, Henrich, Brown, Woodling, Keller, Coleman, Page (clubhouse) and more. Blue, few black, fountain pen signatures on an off white Official AL Harridge ball. Signatures rate a near 9. LOA PSA Authentication"

And from another Gutierrez auction (Sept '05) here's a combined 1947 World Series teams -- Yankees and Dodgers -- ball that ended at $805 with DiMaggio:

"24 signatures including: DiMaggio, Larry Berra, Phil Rizzuto, Bucky Harris, Allie Reynolds, Joe Page, Larry MacPhail (Brooklyn owner), Ed Barrow (Yankees G.M.), Dan Topping (Yankee owner), Chuck Dressen (personalized with the Dodgers mgr adding, “1947 World Series”, and others. BoBo Newsome & Spud Chandler (ss). Black and blue signatures on an off-white Official AL Harridge ball with a few small tone spots. Sigs rate a strong 8. LOA PSA Authentication "

As with most things, condition means a great deal, as can be seen in this recent auction: http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=1099

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

suave1477
05-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Hello I am pretty good in this area is really boils down to the condition of the ball and the signatures also if any of the signatures is a cluhouse signature, Who signed the sweetspot if its Dimaggio it might be a clubhouse signature.

Well bearing all that in mind the value can range from $500 - $1000 I hope this helps a little!!!

Yankwood
05-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will know a little more later this week when I actually see the ball.

MSpecht
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Good Luck with it. Would enjoy seeing a photo of it if possible to post later.