PDA

View Full Version : Help Patriots Game Used Lid

b.heagy
05-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Need some help with a Helmet. Attached are pics of a Patriots lid. Is it a legit gamer? What do I look for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

stretch
05-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I can't tell you if it's real or not, but Berkmar high school uses the same logo. They use to use the old patriots logo and change the new one. Hopefully a poser with knowledge of your helmet can answer your question.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Berkmar_High_School_Georgia_logo.png

Vikingshelmetguy
05-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Need some help with a Helmet. Attached are pics of a Patriots lid. Is it a legit gamer? What do I look for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am not an expert on Patriots game used helmets (I study mainly MN Vikings helmets), but I generally have solid knowledge of NFL game used helmets. My hunch is that this is not a legit NFL game used Patriots helmet. First, I think the warning labels on NFL helmets are usually clear (you don't usually find colored helmets with white warning labels). Also, I think the Patriots had player number decals and the word "Patriots" on the backs of their helmets as far backs as the early 1990's (when they first changed over to their silver helmets). And, usually NFL helmets have an NFL logo/emblem on the back side. This helmet has none of those decals. Finally, although this helmet has great game wear, it is almost too beat up to be a modern day NFL game lid. While players do wear helmets with lots of game wear, the equipment managers these days do scrub off alot of the helmet markings so that the helmets look clean from a distance... This helmet has almost too much signifant color markings... My guess is that it is a helmet from a college or high school team that uses the exact same logo and color scheme as the NFL Patriots. Alot of high school teams these days seem to freely utilize logos and uniform stylings that are very similar or exact replicas of actual NFL teams... My conclusions and observations could all be wrong, but that is my hunch.

NEFAN
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree, I don't believe any NFL team would let a helmet get that bad. Also, I can't remember any NFL Pats wearing a blue chin strap, though I wouldn't disqualify it for that without doing research.

bucephalus
05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
If this IS a gamer, there must be a photo-match somewhere? Frankly though, I don't think the equipment manger would allow such a speciment out on the field. Even if it's sound ... it's a disgraceful looking piece of equipment. And I don't think Mr. Kraft would begrudge the player a new helmet because it's not within the patriots budget?

DrJ
05-27-2009, 09:42 PM
The logo should not have a clear border.

Sabresfreak
05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Not sure how long Riddell has been the official helmet of the NFL but all logos on a helmet if not a Riddell have to be removed.

b.heagy
05-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks everyone. Very helpful information. So much to learn about NFL gamers.