PDA

View Full Version : Phillies game used or are they?

Rickphils1
05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I have been collecting Phillies gamers for many years. I have gotten items from a number of solid sources including the Phillies team auctions. However, lately (last 2 years) there have been alot of these that are labeled as "game used" at the auction that have no visible evidence of wear. The labels are 0062 or 0063, etc but have crisp washing tags, no dirt in the collar and no evidence of number puckering from any washings. I passed on an Utley that went for over $1000 in April because despite the claim that it was game used--looked game issued only. Am I alone in being concerned that the team letters are of limited value? There is a Victorino on ebay now by a reputable seller that has these same limitations for truely being game used (lot # 260418460394).

Rickphils1
05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Small correction to the post: The jerseys I am talking about have been appearing at Citizen's Bank Park at the Phillies silent auctions. Didn't mean to imply that they are coming up at random auctions.

suave1477
05-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Ok I am confused. I looked at the auction you mentioned regardless of who the seller is. It does come with a Phillies LOA which as you mentioned doesn't always mean much BUT does help, and of course the LOA hasn't been switched.

The tagging itself shows definite use.

And I would think the puckering and usage that your probably looking for, your not going to find as much these days as you did years ago with the way players go through jerseys ten times more then years ago.

So the heavy use of yesteryear that you would normally find is not going to be as much as you will find today.

Now this Jerseys in particular came from a Phillies Charity. Which even tells me the possibility the Jersey may have even been given to Victorino to be worn for a game or 2 just so it could be auctioned off for charity.

Just my 2 cents

Rickphils1
05-28-2009, 07:00 PM
In short, the Phillies have been selling items called "game used" jerseys with no visible use and issuing a letter calling them game used. I am asking whether the letter alone-without visible use-is good enough for the hobby to consider them game used. The other thing is that these are not jerseys with the MLB hologram that tells you when they were used.

89ASMVPBats
05-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Rick:

Please shoot me an email when you get a chance. I have a Phillies jersey that I am looking for and was wondering if you could help.

Thanks in advance,
Drew

eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com